Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have two Dalmatians, one pure and one 15% Labrador. I got the mixed one when she was a puppy around three months old so she grew up with cats and she doesn't to attack them.

Recently I saved a 7 year old Dalmatian since his past owner died from him. I was told that he had been around cats but he keeps attacking my cats, few of them attack him back but not all of them but even though the cat fights back he doesn't stop. He will stare at the cat for many minutes and if the cat walks past or to close he will run at him and attack him, the oldest cat I have had since she was 4 weeks old and she is around seven and she is almost the only cat that likes to sleep in my bed and cuddle with me. But because of the dog she is starting to keep away from the house, almost only inside to eat.

I really don't my cats to be afraid to come home... They still all come home but I don't know if they just decide to not come back. The older cat had kittens and when two of them left for a new home she started taking the kitten outside and now the kitten really never comes inside and if he does he is so scared because he is always outside and has no social connection with humans.

And now my other female cat has three kittens and I try to keep them with me a lot, like when I lay in bed on the computer and play with them so they get social connection with humans and I have been having the dog with us in the bed but I of course keep a close eye on him. He started so tense and looking at the kittens all the time and if he got to close I usually move the kittens closer to me and then he just jumps up and like he is going to bite them (opens his mouth) then I tell him to go off the bed and when he has been calm for a while I let him come back up and so on. He has stopped being like so tense and can sleep next to them but if they move he jumps up and gets excited and starts to beg.

I have seen on the internet that people are talking about keeping the cats and the dog apart, but when I have seven cats and two dogs I can't just have the dogs locked away in some room. I do walk them once everyday and they also get to run once a day when I go the stables, he is very gentle and very fond to me. Doesn't like being alone like in another room when I am at home but it is totally fine if I leave the house and I also think he is grieving because of the past owner died from him, he was a very old man and bred the dog so they had always been together.

I have though started keeping him in another room with the other dog when I go to sleep so he doesn't get to attached to being inside all the time and I am afraid that he might attack the cats while I sleep. Also I need my dog free time lol

So I just wanted to ask if you guys have dealt with this and are there any better ways to deal with this situation?

Thank you

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would say start crate training. So at night you put the dogs in a crate so you dont have to worry about him with the cats. But you also have to keep them in a room where the cats aren't walking past and teasing the dogs. My other thing is when you leave the house you can crate the dogs and then you don't have to worry about them getting the cats. I would say exercise the dog before you stick them in the kennel. That way they are tired and you could also put a kong in there to keep them busy. Also when you see your one dog even look at a cat, snap him out of it. It could be as easy as saying his name or a simple touch. Just make sure he doesn't focus for too long on the cat.

I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts