Dog Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Diet is number one for an an allergenic dog. Have you ever looked into raw feeding?

I have friends that couldn't pet my dog when I first got him, spent his first 5 years eating Acana and he developed allergies to wheat and grains. Immediately switched him to raw, within a couple of weeks, he's hypoallergenic.
Hmm...Good to know! Today, we went out and bought a FURminator, but I think I bought the wrong size, so I'm going to return it soon. We did the FURminator first, before a new food, but should I get the food instead when I go to return this brush?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The furminator helps remove excess hair quickly and easier. I have two that made a huge difference with my long haired cats when they were alive.

Brushing and sweeping and vacuuming daily will make a huge difference in the house.

If your dad feels miserable he should take allergy meds or see an allergist or try homeopathic remedies. They all work well and since he agreed to let you have the dog it's not fair to break your heart and traumatize the dog by making you give it up now that you're attached yo it and the dog loves you and its family.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A brush isn't going to work, its not the dog that your father is allergic to. It's the proteins fluffed off the skin, proteins from the saliva etc that's affecting him. And most of that stems from dog food.

Raw is great, been feeding for over 12 years now. But you really need to read and research canine nutrition, can't just jump into it. Pays off in spades tho. The dog is a carnivore.
I don't think raw is the way to go for our family. I don't particularly like the risks associated with this, and it's expensive, and I have a big family. We also don't have a ton of money, and feeding all those things sounds pricey...

·
Registered
2 Posts
That he isn't always capable of breathe is pretty excessive and there may be the capability that it might worsen. perhaps he has other allergic reactions as nicely, and perhaps he can go through Allergen Immunotherapy that may assist not handiest the situation together with your canine, but your dad's usual quality of lifestyles. http://formulaswiss.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your dad may be allergic to dog dander OR the pollens that your dog brings in on her fur, or BOTH...one way to find out for sure is with an allergy test. It's one visit to the allergist.

If allergic to dander or pollen, bathing is not going to cut it. You could try wiping your dog down with allergy wipes when she comes in from the outdoors.

Don't allow your dog on the sofa. Don't allow your dog to ever enter your parents' bedroom (keep the door shut). Consider an air purifier for their bedroom (he may already have one though?) Dust and vacuum weekly. And hopefully you don't have lots of wall to wall carpet, which is the worst thing ever for allergy sufferers...hard floors with washable rugs are much better...

There may be an allergy med that your dad can tolerate well (that will not make him drowsy). Allergy meds suppress your body's overactive antihistamine responses, so it will not only help him with your dog, it will help him with all of his allergies. Immunotherapy is great, but it takes time to kick in (sometimes years?) so your dad may need some more immediate relief.

And lastly, if nothing works...you may have to go dogless for your dad's health. :-(

Our family has to go catless because my husband is allergic to cats (he used to sneeze and get red itchy eyes when we were dating and I had a cat). He got tested before we got a dog, and had no reaction to dog dander, so we were able to have a dog. It's interesting but MANY more people react to cats than dogs, because cat dander is smaller, stickier, and floats in the air more...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope these tips will help you too, I will just share what helped me, but everyone is different:

I truly hope you can keep your father! Good luck! Keep us posted!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts