Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My little Octave, a two-month-old dachshund, pees a lot. We take him out first thing in the morning, after every nap (he naps in his crate), and after meals. He pees outside each time, and still, when playing inside he stops every 10 minutes to sniff and leave a few drops.

I'm guessing he's normal, but I'm feeling a bit guilty about not being able to catch him every time! I feel it's humanly impossible! ;-)

How do you guys deal with it?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi! My little Octave, a two-month-old dachshund, pees a lot. We take him out first thing in the morning, after every nap (he naps in his crate), and after meals. He pees outside each time, and still, when playing inside he stops every 10 minutes to sniff and leave a few drops.

I'm guessing he's normal, but I'm feeling a bit guilty about not being able to catch him every time! I feel it's humanly impossible! ;-)

How do you guys deal with it?
Well, he's really young still...How long have you had him? Could it still be just nervous pee?

I would increase the frequency of his outside pees. You can go to every hour or even every half hour if you need to.

Then maybe a vet check but I'm sure you are doing plenty of those with an 8 week puppy

I wouldn't worry at 8 weeks. Up the outside pees if needed and give him a few more weeks and I bet he will catch on soon.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would call your vet's office and schedule an appointment. Puppies have small bladders and they pee a lot, but you are saying every 10 minutes, that is 30-40 times a day taking into account the few hours a puppy is awake. That's not normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No need to feel guilty, you're learning about your new pup, as he is learning everything in his new home :)

You mention that he pees when your playing with him - this is very normal because when puppies (and even young dogs) get excited, they tend to pee a bit in sheer excitement. Look for it when you have played a little and take him outside - it's better to take him out too often than the opposite.

Remember to give him the time he needs outside - and he'll soon know what to do AND be able to control himself better.

Good luck :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts