Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MOMS cat threw up outside and then he laid in it! MY MOM WONT CLEAN UP HIS SIDE AND SHE WONT LET ME BATHE HIM AND SHE WONT DO ANYTHING

·
Registered
507 Posts
Cats will occasionally throw up, especially if they've been munching on grass or such outside. Unless it's happening a lot, that's not something to worry about.

Also, if you give the cat some space, he'll probably clean himself up unless he's very ill. It's not fun for us to think about cleaning ourselves up by licking, but it is how cats do it, and chances are he'll get himself tidy very quickly.

The only reason I would worry is if he doesn't clean himself up, or if he's vomiting a lot.

Take a deep breath and just let him be. <3

·
Registered
101 Posts
Exactly what Sha said - cats will eat grass to help themselves throw up hairballs. While it would be better if you were able to clean him up, he's able to clean himself for a reason. I wouldn't worry about it.
If you really must do something though, you could wipe him down with a wet rag outside where your mom won't see.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
My MOMS cat threw up outside and then he laid in it! MY MOM WONT CLEAN UP HIS SIDE AND SHE WONT LET ME BATHE HIM AND SHE WONT DO ANYTHING
Cats often upchuck hairballs...and sometimes their most recent dinner in advance of the hairball that will work it's way up too. So don't panic unless the cat is vomiting more than a few times in one day or continues to do so the next day.

As others here said, cats usually groom themselves (thus the hairballs). It's probably not a good idea to try to give a cat a bath unless it's been trained since it was a kitten to have baths. You could otherwise end up with some vicious deep scratches or even a deep bite, as most cats don't like getting really wet.

Cat scratches and especially bites can get super infected. I had a friend who grab at his cat as it tried to sneak out the door, he scared the cat and it turned around and bit down on his finger. He almost lost his finger to infection...and spent almost 3 months on antibiotics and dealing with pain, and a massively swollen finger due to it.

And according to him, his cat was a very gentle thing...it was just that she didn't realize he was grabbing her and it scared her and she bit. So even the nicest cats can and will bite or scratch if they think they are threatened, and a bath can be something that can really get a cat upset.

I hope your kitty will be ok and it was just a normal 'up chuck' event that cats do every so often.

Stormy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Normal cat vomit consists of any combination of hair grass and cat food, and with my cats it happens about once a month and sometimes more often. It's natural so if you're worried about it don't be! Just look for throwing up more than once or twice in the same day, and throwing up bile (yellow liquid), lethargy, runny nose/eyes, and heavy breathing. These are indications that something is wrong!

I would take a warm wash cloth and wipe her off if you're worried about it getting everywhere since she laid in it, but if you're not worried about it the cat will probably lick itself clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts