Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Guys.I have some really bad news. My outside cat,Kitty goes after snakes.
Shes a very old cat and I think she died. Over the fence next to our house there's woods and tons of snakes there.When I call her she always comes,no matter what.I called for her yesterday because I hadn't seen Kitty all day. I called and I heard meowing from the woods,i'm not aloud to go there.If I call her she comes for real. I'm so worried about her,she never wanders off.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Don't give up hope yet, cats can wander sometimes. A few years ago, my daughters cat (Billy) didn't come home when called, she always stayed close to home. My daughter was so upset, then 5 days later in strolls Billy, quite thirsty but otherwise fine. We think she maybe got shut in somewhere by accident. I hope your kitty comes home soon, let us know x

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But where I heard her from is where all the venomous snakes are. Were keeping out her stuff for two weeks just in case,and mom may let me put up lost cat signs in case she wandered off and can't find her way back.
I'm heart broken, I love her so much.

Don't give up hope yet, cats can wander sometimes. A few years ago, my daughters cat (Billy) didn't come home when called, she always stayed close to home. My daughter was so upset, then 5 days later in strolls Billy, quite thirsty but otherwise fine. We think she maybe got shut in somewhere by accident. I hope your kitty comes home soon, let us know x

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm sure you do, I would also be heartbroken if one of my cats went missing, it's the not knowing that's hard. Unfortunately, unless we have indoors only cats it's a risk we take, so much easier with dogs in that we take them out for walks & can keep them safe in an enclosed area. Fingers crossed your cat comes home :huddle:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Isn't there someone who can go with you to look for her? I can understand why you're not allowed to go there, if a snake were to bite you -eek! Maybe you start to try and make an indoor kitty of your kitty in the future, for her safety and your peace of mind. I rmember when I was younger and my persian didn't come home from her morning wandering before I left for school, I wouldn't want to go. Many a morning my dad had to throw dirt clods on to our roof to ge ther to come down so we can hurry up and leave for school.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I'm so glad Kitty came home! Give her some extra cuddles :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Fluffy Sally, I don't know how old you mean when you say very old....but my experiences with elderly cats has been that as they age, they tend to stay closer to home. Probably it has something to do with aching joints and loss of hearing and eyesight and they lose the confidence to stray from the building where they bed down at night.

I do hope, your family has provided for a sheltered place for your cat to sleep, like inside of a barn that has an actual bed made up for her.

My brother had a full time outdoor cat, but they still had a garage with a cat door, where the cat could escape to during bad weather or if a fox or something scared it.

Inside the garage, there was a bed for the cat, and in the winter my brother set up a heat lamp far enough above the bed to offer warmth but not so close as to cause the cat to get too hot. I think the smell of the garage dissuaded smaller predators from chasing in after her and bigger ones couldn't get through the small opening. On the same platform as the bed was where they gave the cat food and water.

There cat, in spite of being an outside cat still managed to live to be 22 years old. She' wasn't a friendly cat and my brother was about the only person who could approach her...but they did take the cat to the vet when needed and finally, took her to the vet when they felt she was having too difficult of a time to make it up and down the ramp 2 x 4 plank they installed next to the platform in order to help her in her older years when jumping up became to difficult to do.

Cats are not the bullet proof animals some people think they are and they can lose ears and tail tips from frost bites in the colder climates. If you live in a warmer area, there are still times when the weather is harsh...very hot or raining for days and it's just a good idea to have a safe place for your cat to go to get away from the worst of the bad weather, be it wet, hot, or cold.

I hope your kitty stays safe. I had an indoor outdoor cat, she could come and go as she pleased through the doggy door. One day she went out side and never returned and I never found out what happened to her. In my area, it's probable that either an owl, coyote, or raccoon got her.

I'm very glad to hear your kitty came back....and I hope she always will...
Stormy

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we have an incredibly small garage type space but we keep it cracked for her and on our porch she has two beds,a food bowl and water bowl and some little toys.
In the garage area she has another bed (i made them all) and some toys and more water.
I brush her alot too.
Fluffy Sally, I don't know how old you mean when you say very old....but my experiences with elderly cats has been that as they age, they tend to stay closer to home. Probably it has something to do with aching joints and loss of hearing and eyesight and they lose the confidence to stray from the building where they bed down at night.

I do hope, your family has provided for a sheltered place for your cat to sleep, like inside of a barn that has an actual bed made up for her.

My brother had a full time outdoor cat, but they still had a garage with a cat door, where the cat could escape to during bad weather or if a fox or something scared it.

Inside the garage, there was a bed for the cat, and in the winter my brother set up a heat lamp far enough above the bed to offer warmth but not so close as to cause the cat to get too hot. I think the smell of the garage dissuaded smaller predators from chasing in after her and bigger ones couldn't get through the small opening. On the same platform as the bed was where they gave the cat food and water.

There cat, in spite of being an outside cat still managed to live to be 22 years old. She' wasn't a friendly cat and my brother was about the only person who could approach her...but they did take the cat to the vet when needed and finally, took her to the vet when they felt she was having too difficult of a time to make it up and down the ramp 2 x 4 plank they installed next to the platform in order to help her in her older years when jumping up became to difficult to do.

Cats are not the bullet proof animals some people think they are and they can lose ears and tail tips from frost bites in the colder climates. If you live in a warmer area, there are still times when the weather is harsh...very hot or raining for days and it's just a good idea to have a safe place for your cat to go to get away from the worst of the bad weather, be it wet, hot, or cold.

I hope your kitty stays safe. I had an indoor outdoor cat, she could come and go as she pleased through the doggy door. One day she went out side and never returned and I never found out what happened to her. In my area, it's probable that either an owl, coyote, or raccoon got her.

I'm very glad to hear your kitty came back....and I hope she always will...
Stormy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.