Dog Forum banner

my boyfriend passed and i took in his esa dogg .HELP

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Madra Anamchara 
#1 ·
My boyfriend passed away six months ago. His family and friends agreed that I should take in his Esa dog. I just recently received my dog paperwork with my ex-boyfriend's name on it. I moved into a new apartment complex 2 months ago. An old roommate is threatening to kick my dog out. So what should I do or what are my options with the paperwork I have? In order to prove she is an Esa dog or would I have to go through some type of process in order to get some type of Rights or it doesn't matter if she is an Esa dog or not.

#2 ·
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I'm not in the States, so I can't help with the ESA side of things, (is she on a register or something, which would prove her status? If so, I imagine you won't have to go through any kind of process or test unless they regularly retest) but regarding your roommate, have you spoken to her/him and asked why they want rid of the dog? If not, that would be the first step. You need to know what your roommate's concerns are, why they feel so badly against the dog.

Who was there first - you, or your roommate?

Sory for your loss. :(

#3 ·
In the US, in order for the dog to be legally classified as an ESA for housing purposes the dog has to be your own ESA, not someone else's who is not there, not even under the current and tragic situation you are in. If your housing place doesn't permit dogs, saying the dog was your boyfriend's ESA won't help. But, do you need an ESA? If you do, you can go through the process of obtaining the correct paperwork to have the dog declared your own ESA, and then it will be legal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.