Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my dog to the vets 3 weeks ago for something for harvest mites, he doesn't itch much anymore and the sores on his paws are healing. While we were there the vet emptied his glands, she said it could be another reason why he was scratching a lot. He got weighed and I think it was mid-late 20's (kg)

This past week or so he's just not seemed himself. He would greet me from work but now doesn't get up off the sofa. In the mornings he would follow my dad downstairs from bed but now he stays in bed while my dad gets up. He has 2 cups of his food a day but he's hardly eating it.

If I had to use this chart to describe him he was probably overweight, but now looks ideal. Normally I'd be very happy about this if we were actively trying to help him lose weight but it just seems like it's happened over a short period of time which is what is worrying me.

We have tried mixing wet food with his dry food to get him to eat it which worked a bit. I'm thinking maybe some rice or something? I'm just getting worried now that I can really see that wist definition from above. Scared that those harvest mites have given him some horrible infection or something :(

Does anyone have any advice I can try before I take him back to the vets?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
What did they give him for the mites? Is he still taking it? Anorexia is a common side effect of medication, so that may be it. Either way, he does need to see the vet. Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prednisolone and frontline spray. I'll see if I can get through in the morning and get an appointment for the evening.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Prednisone will cause lethargy, but it will usually cause weight gain, not weight loss and loss of appetite. I suppose it could happen and would be worth discussing with your vet.

Did he lick at the Frontline spray while it was still wet?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be likely, we're in the same room but he wasn't closely monitored afterwards. I didn't think of that actually

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've not long got back. He's lost 5kg in 3 weeks and the vet says he has a heart murmur! His blood sugar is fine but he has a temperature so she gave him an injection to reduce the fever and any pain. She gave us a worming tablet to rule that out but she's taken bloods to be done to look for any infection and I have to get a urine sample to her too. :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vet called and said his white blood cell count is raised. Has said it's either a long term infection (though she can't see why that would make him lose so much weight), his white blood cells attacking his own body, or a tumour
:(

She said she's going to start him on some steroids and some other tablets which I'll pick up tomorrow night. See how he goes on them over the weekend and take him back in the beginning of next week if he's no better.

She said we can do an ultrasound or scan of some sort to see if they can see a tumour, I feel like that could be worth it just to rule it out. Vet called and said his white blood cell count is raised. Has said it's either a long term infection (though she can't see why that would make him lose so much weight), his white blood cells attacking his own body, or a tumour :(

She said she's going to start him on some steroids and some other tablets which I'll pick up tomorrow night. See how he goes on them over the weekend and take him back in the beginning of next week if he's no better.

She said we can do an ultrasound or scan of some sort to see if they can see a tumour, I feel like that could be worth it just to rule it out.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'm so sorry (((HUGS)))

Personally I'd rule out the tumor and go from there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you ^_^

My first guess would be maybe his harvest mites were particularly bad this year and he's got some kind of infection.

I want to do the scan for the tumour but obviously I'm scared of what we'll find. I think we'll try the tablets over the weekend and see what he's like into next week. Does that seem the right thing to do?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Thank you ^_^

My first guess would be maybe his harvest mites were particularly bad this year and he's got some kind of infection.

I want to do the scan for the tumour but obviously I'm scared of what we'll find. I think we'll try the tablets over the weekend and see what he's like into next week. Does that seem the right thing to do?
The only thing I'd worry about with trying the tablets is that they may temporarily mask something. You're vet would be the best one to determine if that could happen, and it'd be something I'd ask about.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing I'd worry about with trying the tablets is that they may temporarily mask something. You're vet would be the best one to determine if that could happen, and it'd be something I'd ask about.
You mean like they might just hide some of his symptoms for a while? I can ask when I go tonight.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
You mean like they might just hide some of his symptoms for a while? I can ask when I go tonight.
Yes, that's what I meant. I know it can happen in humans, I'm not positive about dogs and that's why I'd ask about it. Other then that I tend to be like you, let's try medicine first before putting the dog thorough stressful test, or test they need to be sedated for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I just like to try something, try treating the more common or likely ideas before delving deeper.

Just got back from the vets, he's been given steroids and antibiotics. The vet said to see how he goes over the weekend and bring him in next week. I think that's a good idea anyway just to weigh him and see if he's gained any weight. I didn't get to speak to her tonight but she's going to call me tomorrow just so I can speak to her.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took him back tonight, told the vet he's been having all his tablets and is a lot more like himself. We've been feeding him rice and chicken 3 times a day to try and help bump his weight up.

He's put on a little bit but not a lot. The vet says the thing is his weight now is actually an ideal weight for him so to just make sure he doesn't lose any more. His temperature is back to normal which is great but she said we're not out of the woods yet. She said to finish his courses of tablets and see how he goes, any deterioration and bring him back.

He's not touching his own food now and only eating the rice and chicken. Vet says to maybe change his food (I wouldn't mind but I'd just brought a brand new 13kg bag before he got ill haha!) because chicken and rice isn't going to have all of the things he needs. She suggested Chappie so we're going to try find that at the weekend.

So I'm pretty pleased and kind of hopeful. I'm going to weigh myself on our scales and weigh with me holding him to get a rough idea of his weight just to keep an eye on it here at home.

I think we'll go back for another check up once his medication has finished and get the ultrasound done too.

She also said his heart murmur is probably causing his cough, she can't hear any fluid so his heart is probably enlarged and pushing on his trachea :( so he will need heart meds one day but not now. I've never had to get a prescription for a dog before, how does it work with insurance? I guess they pay for the meds but doesn't that mean the monthly amount goes up?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please watch this video we are getting very worried.

Sonny has finished his antibiotics and has just a couple days left on 1 steroid a day. I am going shopping today for some tin food as the vet suggested. We feel like his breathing has gotten worse so I took a video to show you guys. I moved the phone next to him at the end so you can hear his breathing and hopfully see how fast his body is moving.

This is from just sitting in his spot on the sofa, no strenuous exercise. I don't know how to edit the thread title so hopefully someone sees this

https://vid.me/r2hE

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've never had to get a prescription for a dog before, how does it work with insurance? I guess they pay for the meds but doesn't that mean the monthly amount goes up?
That really depends on how the vet writes the prescription and your insurance company. I'm assuming we're talking about your personal health insurance and not pet insurance? My monthly rate never goes up, and I am very often going to doctors and getting new medications (figuring out a lot of things), but other companies may differ.

To my knowledge, pharmacies do not actually carry animal medications, human health insurance will not cover animal pharmaceuticals, and they can bey VERY expensive. When the Husky was sick, our vet wrote him a prescription for the human grade of his medication and I was able to take that to the pharmacy so I wouldn't have to pay an insane amount for a few pills... and my insurance covered it because it was a human medication (even if it was for a dog).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That really depends on how the vet writes the prescription and your insurance company. I'm assuming we're talking about your personal health insurance and not pet insurance? My monthly rate never goes up, and I am very often going to doctors and getting new medications (figuring out a lot of things), but other companies may differ.

To my knowledge, pharmacies do not actually carry animal medications, human health insurance will not cover animal pharmaceuticals, and they can bey VERY expensive. When the Husky was sick, our vet wrote him a prescription for the human grade of his medication and I was able to take that to the pharmacy so I wouldn't have to pay an insane amount for a few pills... and my insurance covered it because it was a human medication (even if it was for a dog).
I don't have personal health insurance as I'm in Wales, UK and it's free. But unfortunately I don't have insurance for Sonny so I think I'll just be paying the monthly prescription fee

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has he been tested for pneumonia ?? Im really sorry to hear that your boy is sick, I hope he feels better and soon!!!
No, nothing like that has been mentioned. Well he's been given antibiotics for a possible infection but pneumonia wasn't mentioned

1 - 20 of 46 Posts