Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. My name is Jo and I'm from the British Isles. My other half and I adopted a border collie cross called Fly 3 years ago in May. She's been such a joy, such a loving and wonderful dog you have never known. She's got her little obsessions and her naughty moments but I love her so much you can't imagine. Well I guess you probably can :)

This week we learned that she probably has some sort of leukaemia in her bone marrow, and also a secondary tumour in her abdomen. She's an older girl, the vet said chemotherapy would be distressing for her, it wouldnt cure her, and would only give us a small amount of extra time with her if any. I am breaking my heart.

Fly loves the water- you can't stop her from diving right into the nearest lake, ocean, muddy puddle. She adores playing ball, tug of war, all the usual doggy suspects. She is far too sophisticated to chase her tail, and she likes to pretend that she is a ferocious beast when cats are around (if the cat stands its ground however she gives it a wide berth) or if someone rings the door bell. Burglars beware, Fly will probably lick you to death if you try to break into our house. She is an absolute bottomless pit, she can't get enough of pigs ears' and Bonio biscuits, and just about anything she can get her mitts on. Including, once, an entire box of chocolate fingers and a bar of dark chocolate. Yes, we saw the vet that day.

I wanted to tell you about my wee doggy because I don't want to remember her as she is now. The last couple of weeks she has lost 7 kilos, and has stopped licking your hand. She spent a couple of days refusing to eat anything at all, and would only drink rainwater from the bucket in the garden. Her hind legs failed her so she couldn't jump in and out of the dog door. Tonight, I have desperately tried to get her to eat something, anything- bacon, chicken, beef, biscuits, ice cubes, ham, so that I can give her the steroids that will make her feel better, but she won't.

We take dogs into our family so they can enrich each other's lives and give each other love and happiness...Is that what makes this so heartbreaking?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't imagine how tough this must be. Clearly you love her very much and it seems she's very lucky to have you. Dogs just don't live long enough...
I wonder if your vet could give her an injection of the medication to give her a little more time feeling comfortable..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I had thought before I left the vet's today. Last time she got a shot of steroids and it gave her her appetite back temporarily. I think I will phone the vet's tomorrow morning and ask about it. Good idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts