Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beagle has been on a diet since he was 6 months old. Even on a diet he got up to 68 pounds. Then he was diagnosed with a thyroid condition. We put him on the vet's low cal food and thyroid pills. He's lost weight gradually over about 4 years and was down to 50 lbs this spring.
We've had an exceptionally hot summer and when I weighed him yesterday he was down to 44 lbs!
All the information I can get says that dogs generally eat less in hot weather. But he's a typical Beagle and would eat all he can get even if he was in a coma. So less food isn't the issue.
There's no change in his behavior and he looks the best he ever has. So I tend to think I'm worried about nothing. I'd be thrilled if I could lose 24 lbs. But this drop of 6 pounds so quickly has me a little concerned.
My question is: do dogs sweat off weight like people? Anyone?
Randy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dogs sweat through the pads of their paws so I wouldn't think they would lose weight that weigh though I cant say for sure.
I would be more worried if he lost that weigh in a couple of weeks rather than several months . However, it would be worth talking to you vet . He or she is the only one that can advise you. Maybe her tablets need adjusting ?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
68 lbs?!?!?! Omg I almost fainted. Good job working on getting him to a healthy weight!

I would at least give your vet a call to put your mind at ease. If he isn't acting any different and the weight wasn't lost in a very short period of time, I wouldn't worry too much yet, but it might be worth a discussion in case it has something to do with the meds or the diet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts