Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I havent been here in awhile due to getting caught in the whirlwind of life.

We have adopted a puppy named Easton. He is a Chihuahua x Pomeranian. He just turned 6 months old. We've had him since 7 weeks. We absolutely adore him and he has quickly fit in with our dogs. We are NOT adopting anymore haha enough is enough. My heart is bigger than my wallet.

I take pride in being an example dog owner. My dogs are all vaccinated and get their puppy shots and yearly vaccinations. We do routine everything and at first sign of illness they go straight to the vet.

Easton started vomiting and having diarrhea while I was at work (my dogs stay with my grandmother while I am at work) on Thursday. I came home and monitored him before taking him to the local Animal ER that is open while our regular vet is closed. They did tests and told us he has pancreatitis. His red and white blood cells were good he was just a bit dehydrated. My grandmother does secretly give them table food even after years of preaching NO TABLE FOOD to her. She of course doesn't tell me to keep from hearing my speech. They started him on fluids we went home and picked him up at 7:30 Friday morning. He was still feeling bad but not puking or having diarrhea and they instructed us to go right away to our local vet. We get to the vet and they did a parvo test which was POSITIVE! I get so upset and angry because we FULLY vaccinated this pup and our VET administered it but I understand that it does not fully protect them. They tell me he needs to stay at the vet at least until Monday and we would take it day by day. I of course said do absolutely EVERYTHING you have to to save my baby. So Easton has been at the vet since Friday morning. I am going nuts. I worry about him, I cry, I get angry, I am confused. I don't want my baby to die. I don't want him to go through this. I want to take his pain and sickness. The vet said he is pretty sure he can save him and we caught it early. There was no blood in his stool or anything so I take that as a good sign.

Friday was hard but not as hard because I called the vet a few times until they closed. They said he was improving. He had not had any vomiting or diarrhea since I took him to the animal ER. However, he was very lethargic still.

I worry all evening after 5pm because I could not get anymore updates and no one stays at the clinic with the dogs after that time but if they thought he was critical they would take him back to the Animal ER to be monitored.

This morning as soon as I woke up I call. They said he is still doing good with no vomiting and diarrhea. He is more alert. Still a tiny bit lethargic. He is up walking around. They did offer food but he still has absolutely no interest in eating.

A little later I go in to visit him. My heart just about broke. He was laying in the isolation cage. He noticed us and looked at us. We were not allowed in the room unfortunately. He did not wag his tail, he did not get up, he barely moved. He just looked at us. The vet tech was telling us how sweet he was and that he is definitely improving but not out of the woods yet. He still hadn't ate. It was very hard for me to leave him but I am glad that I at least got to see him.

Tomorrow they are closed but people come in twice during the day to check the dogs.
I am scared. I can't call and get an update at all tomorrow. I just want my baby home and with me. I am distraught and I am not sure how to cope with this. :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I would be a wreck too.

I'm sure your vet is doing everything they can to take care of him. It's so good you caught it early and got him veterinary care.

Try to stay positive. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vet just called about Easton. Things aren't going great but he's very stable.
He has vomited twice today. So they are not offering him food. He is alert. He is looking around and watching everything going on.
The vet said he is really on the fence. They are doing everything they can to help him but they don't know which way he is going to go yet. I'm scared for him. I'm terrified. I wish I could take all of this away from him. I NEED my baby home with me.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
The vet just called about Easton. Things aren't going great but he's very stable.
He has vomited twice today. So they are not offering him food. He is alert. He is looking around and watching everything going on.
The vet said he is really on the fence. They are doing everything they can to help him but they don't know which way he is going to go yet. I'm scared for him. I'm terrified. I wish I could take all of this away from him. I NEED my baby home with me.

:huddle: So sorry about Easton. I just saw your thread and was hoping that he was completely on the mend. I think that the fact that he's not a very young puppy, that you got him in right away, and are letting him stay at the vet to get the best care that he can are all in his favor.

I hope that today brought you some better news. Y'all are in my prayers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:huddle: So sorry about Easton. I just saw your thread and was hoping that he was completely on the mend. I think that the fact that he's not a very young puppy, that you got him in right away, and are letting him stay at the vet to get the best care that he can are all in his favor.

I hope that today brought you some better news. Y'all are in my prayers.

Thank you! I called first thing this morning and they said that he had vomited twice over night and then he was drooling, gagging, and vomiting before they gave him his daily nausea medicine. After they gave him the nausea medicine he stopped vomiting but wasn't really perked up. They said he was very depressed.

I stopped in around 2pm. He was sitting up in his cage but he looked so bad. He watched me but then drooped his head. I talked to the tech and she said that he wasn't worsening but he wasn't improving either. He was about the same.

I called again right before closing and was greeted with a happier tone. They said Easton perked up, was actually wagging his tail and reacting to people now. He hadn't vomited since that morning so they tried offering food. Although he didn't eat, he sniffed the food and didn't vomit. They sounded very happy and said we will see what tomorrow brings but they think he is on the up and up.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
I'm so glad that he is feeling a bit better this evening! Hopefully tomorrow will bring even better news and he'll be eating and keeping the food down.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is heart breaking. I really hope he makes a full recovery, no matter how slow it is. Keep us posted on how hes getting on each day. I am so looking forward to the day you say he is home and eating and doing much better.
I need to hear a happy ending.
Poor little mite. And poor you, I cant even imagine how upset and anxious you have been feeling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MAJOR EASTON UPDATE!!!

Easton ate! Just a couple bites but he had an appetite! The tech said he should be able to come home tomorrow if he eats regularly and can keep it down!

·
Registered
439 Posts
That's wonderful! I'm sending positive thoughts your way that he can go home tomorrow :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easton came home yesterday!! He is very weak but he is eating really good and will not leave my side!

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Easton came home yesterday!! He is very weak but he is eating really good and will not leave my side!
I'm so happy for you! It much be such a relief to have him home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts