Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ten year old male Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who started off with an UTI this past summer when I noticed blood on his penis. I took him to the bet and they did an ultrasound where his bladder was inflamed and he had a UTI. Put him on meds and followed up with another urine specimen from me and he was fine. Last Saturday night he had blood on his penis again and in the morning I took him out first thing and put a cup under him when he peed. It was the color of red wine. I took him to the vet immediately. They did a few tests and the ultrasound showed some debris in there. The blood work came out normal, but she was very concerned with the bloody urine I brought in. She referred me to a vet an hour and a half away to get a more detailed ultrasound. My fur baby has prostate cancer and has three to six months left to live. I was a total mess. We have him on Piroxicam now. I know there is chemo and I know that is costly, but I hate to put him through all of that. Now I am wondering if this prostate cancer was starting when he had his first UTI. I know there is also the problem of him not being able to urinate by the prostate tumor using on his uretha. I know I am going on and on, but I love my Cheddar so much and was wondering if anyone else has been through this?

Thank you,
CheddarsMom

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
So sorry you are confronted with this. If it were me, I would get him to an oncologist, for a workup and discussions of what realistic treatment protocols might be available. Armed with good information, you can then make the best possible decision regarding his treatment plan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts