Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ten year old male Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who started off with an UTI this past summer when I noticed blood on his penis. I took him to the bet and they did an ultrasound where his bladder was inflamed and he had a UTI. Put him on meds and followed up with another urine specimen from me and he was fine. Last Saturday night he had blood on his penis again and in the morning I took him out first thing and put a cup under him when he peed. It was the color of red wine. I took him to the vet immediately. They did a few tests and the ultrasound showed some debris in there. The blood work came out normal, but she was very concerned with the bloody urine I brought in. She referred me to a vet an hour and a half away to get a more detailed ultrasound. My fur baby has prostate cancer and has three to six months left to live. I was a total mess. We have him on Piroxicam now. I know there is chemo and I know that is costly, but I hate to put him through all of that. Now I am wondering if this prostate cancer was starting when he had his first UTI. I know there is also the problem of him not being able to urinate by the prostate tumor using on his uretha. I know I am going on and on, but I love my Cheddar so much and was wondering if anyone else has been through this?

Thank you,
CheddarsMom

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
So sorry you are confronted with this. If it were me, I would get him to an oncologist, for a workup and discussions of what realistic treatment protocols might be available. Armed with good information, you can then make the best possible decision regarding his treatment plan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear this. My wife and I are going through the same thing with our shepherd mix Jude. He didn’t really show any signs to make us think something was wrong. Looking back he was having some trouble pooping but thought it was his hips just from getting old ( he turns 11 in May). Took him in for his yearly check up in January where he dribbled a little bloody urine. Did a urinalysis, and X-rays. Appeared to just be the start of bladder stones so we treated accordingly. When we went in for his recheck, he hadn’t made any progress. Vet got him in for an ultrasound as soon as she could. Turns out he has prostate cancer, pretty far advanced (already made it to his hips) and was given a prognosis of ~6 months, give or take. After talking to our vet, unfortunately the treatments/surgeries they could do would only give him a couple more months at the risk of his quality of life. So we decided to put him on Piroxicam as well to help slow it down but unfortunately the best thing we can do for him is make him as comfortable as possible for his last few months. As soon as that stops working we will be doing a home euthanasia and say good bye. I know this isn’t really a positive outcome but it’s the best thing we can do for our buddy boy. Again, I’m so sorry, but you are not alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I'm unsure whether you will get this as your post was 4 months ago.

How is your dog doing?

I am messaging for some advice regarding my dog Toby. He is a 14 and a half year old staffy. In the last couple of weeks Toby would go for a poo and it would be mostly be diarrhea like but with loads of bright red blood, because of covid 19 the vet wouldn't see him but we told her the symptoms and she gave us some paste for his food. This worked and we started to only give him boiled chicken and rice.. sweet potatoes and carrots and have now introduced gluton free oats with plain yogurt which he loves. They told us to introduce his normal dog food after the paste had gone and when we did he started bleeding again so we called them and they finally saw him.

She told us that he had one very swollen hard prostate gland 😔 and that she wanted to take a sample with a needle so we agreed as she said she thinks it could be prostate cancer.

She called yesterday and said the sample was not big enough so there was no results and now she wants to do a biopsy which means he will have to be sedated.

I just don't know what to do.. looking at symptoms online he doesn't have symptoms of prostate cancer but he must be bleeding for a reason right?

We are not sure whether we want him to be sedated because of his age.. imagine of he doesn't make it through the sedation and they find out he doesn't have cancer then he would have died for no reason.. but then what happens if he does have it and we didn't do anything about it.

I really need some advice, I can't sleep I'm so worried.. they want to do the biopsy on Tuesday.. I am hoping this will reach you before then..

Thank you xx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I'm unsure whether you will get this as your post was 4 months ago.

How is your dog doing?

I am messaging for some advice regarding my dog Toby. He is a 14 and a half year old staffy. In the last couple of weeks Toby would go for a poo and it would be mostly be diarrhea like but with loads of bright red blood, because of covid 19 the vet wouldn't see him but we told her the symptoms and she gave us some paste for his food. This worked and we started to only give him boiled chicken and rice.. sweet potatoes and carrots and have now introduced gluton free oats with plain yogurt which he loves. They told us to introduce his normal dog food after the paste had gone and when we did he started bleeding again so we called them and they finally saw him.

She told us that he had one very swollen hard prostate gland 😔 and that she wanted to take a sample with a needle so we agreed as she said she thinks it could be prostate cancer.

She called yesterday and said the sample was not big enough so there was no results and now she wants to do a biopsy which means he will have to be sedated.

I just don't know what to do.. looking at symptoms online he doesn't have symptoms of prostate cancer but he must be bleeding for a reason right?

We are not sure whether we want him to be sedated because of his age.. imagine of he doesn't make it through the sedation and they find out he doesn't have cancer then he would have died for no reason.. but then what happens if he does have it and we didn't do anything about it.

I really need some advice, I can't sleep I'm so worried.. they want to do the biopsy on Tuesday.. I am hoping this will reach you before then..

Thank you xx
Hey Bethany first off I'm so sorry things are going rough for Toby, especially in a time of crisis where its difficult to see the vet. If they do believe its prostate cancer your best bet is to try and slow it down as much as possible. One of the safest ways to try this is giving your dog CBD oil or treats. CBD is administered through the central nervous system and immune system. It can help regulate appetite,increase mobility, preserve brain functions and has been effective suppressing cancer growth ! I wrote an article about it here if you're interested .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts