Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please give me some much-needed advice. My mom is going to be moving in with us this week, along with her dog Rory. My husband and I have two dogs as well, Zoey and Max. Zoey and Rory know each other and get along. However, Rory and Max have met once in the past, and it did not go well. Although, to his credit, we did not go about it the right way. He is a Jack Russell, and he barks and lunges at dogs when we go on walks. Typically, if I see another dog, I just walk the other way.

All that said, we are reintroducing them this week before she moves in. I've got a pretty good idea about how to approach it, but what would you suggest? So far, we know it should be a neutral location and a long walk, but what about Zoey? Should Max see her getting along with Rory first, then introduce him? Would it be better to leave her out of the equation at first? HELP! Pass on your dog expertise.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like have good ideas already. Meeting on neutral territory for a long walk can be helpful.

Is Max actually aggressive - does he intend to cause harm? Or is he excited and frustrated? If he's actually aggressive, it may be that you will need to keep him separated from Rory.

I'd try allowing Max to see Rory and Zoey getting along IF watching them together won't increase his arousal. (My dog gets super amped up watching other dogs run...) This post is about fear, not reactivity, but the idea is similar: https://wildewmn.wordpress.com/2016/10/03/can-a-confident-dog-help-a-fearful-one/ Just have a back up plan to remove Max or Zoey if things don't go well.

Before the meeting, I'd start working with Max to solidify basic obedience behaviors (sit, down, stay, come). You might find the resources here helpful, too, both for this situation and his reactivity in general: Reactivity, On Leash Aggression, and Barrier Frustration

This seems like a decent resource with good info on what to watch for: How to Introduce Dogs | Best Friends Animal Society

And, I read this the other day and was intrigued: The Hoffman Handshake (Pt. 2): The Taste Of A Dog | Martha Hoffman Hearing Dogs

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.