Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 yr old golden has occasionally been walking in circles for several weeks. We assumed it was his eyesight, but in the last week or so, the circling has increased & he does it for several minutes at a time getting faster & faster, in a tighter circle to the point where he falls down. I did a quick search on this & it seems to be "Idiopathic Vestibular disease". But the circling is the only symptom-no head tilt, no nausea, normal eating, and drinking habits. Thoughts? He also has epilepsy, he was diagnosed about 4 years ago and takes Phenobarbital to control his episodes. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
It could be any number of things and you really should take him to the vet to have him checked out.

Off the top of my head:
He could need the phenobarbital adjusted.
Whatever is causing the seizures could be getting worse.
Vestibular disease
Stroke

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I'd also add brain tumor to the differential diagnosis.

Go to the vet.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Yep, that's what I was thinking when I wrote whatever is causing the seizures.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Vet visit for following

Check him over full exam including blood work
Blood test for his epilepsy medication levels, i myself am epileptic and have got toxic before on my meds, it could be something like that.
Could be a tumor or anything really

Just please get him/her checked by a vet and i do hope the medication hasnt made him toxic. it was constant vertigo for me for 3 weeks until dose got lowered then back to normal

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Is it always the same direction?
A vet check would determine if it a simple ear infection or something more severe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've fed him Science Diet since he was a puppy. He has been on the ""Light" formula for several years since he has a tendency to pack on the pounds.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Your dog could have an inner ear infection, neurological problems, or

neosporosis, which can be a dealt parasite

canine distemper, which is a virus in the lungs

systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), which affects the whole body causing arthritis or muscle weakness, to kidney disease.

Im a little disappointed you have not gone to the vet, this could be very serious. Please go to the vet as your dog could be at serious risk

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
206 Posts
A quick google search can give you anything. Your self-diagnosed vestibular disease could easily turn out to be ear infection or worse, brain tumor (a quick google search told me that tumors in the brain is the most common cause for epileptic seizures). Now, for the dog's sake and your family's, I hope that's not the case, which is why your dog needs to see a vet.

·
Banned
77 Posts
A quick google search can give you anything. Your self-diagnosed vestibular disease could easily turn out to be ear infection or worse, brain tumor (a quick google search told me that tumors in the brain is the most common cause for epileptic seizures). Now, for the dog's sake and your family's, I hope that's not the case, which is why your dog needs to see a vet.
You're right, a quick google search can give you anything. But either way the OP should go to the vet.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I've fed him Science Diet since he was a puppy. He has been on the ""Light" formula for several years since he has a tendency to pack on the pounds.
Ingredients: Ground whole grain corn, soybean mill run, chicken by-product meal, powdered cellulose, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, chicken liver flavor, soybean oil, latic acid, flaxseed, carmel color,

WOW WHERE IT THE MEAT I am sorry but SD is one of the worst forms of nutrition I have ever seen. Why I was concerned with what food is that coloring and dyes can cause brain disfunction. My cat was eating food with dyes and got seizures. I gave him a natural diet and the seizures stopped.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Ingredients: Ground whole grain corn, soybean mill run, chicken by-product meal, powdered cellulose, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, chicken liver flavor, soybean oil, latic acid, flaxseed, carmel color,

WOW WHERE IT THE MEAT I am sorry but SD is one of the worst forms of nutrition I have ever seen. Why I was concerned with what food is that coloring and dyes can cause brain disfunction. My cat was eating food with dyes and got seizures. I gave him a natural diet and the seizures stopped.
I have to agree, that food sounds absolutely terrible... I feed my dog little to none grain and lots of meat and veggies and potatoes and rice and fish and duck and all that wonderful stuff. I like Acana, Orijen or blue, or even people even make their own dog food. That food needs to go!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Danarae, Walking in circles like your dog has been doing is not normal. There is something medical going on, most likely a serious issue that should not be ignored. You've seen other members here list many possibilities but none of us are vets, none can see/treat the dog.

This really comes down to taking your dog to a veterinarian for an exam. Good luck. I hope whatever it is will be treatable and your dog isn't suffering.

Reactions: Adee

·
Banned
6,350 Posts

I am appalled at those ingredients as my charlie was on that for years before he went onto royal canin large breed mature and now on NOW fresh grain free which he is doing so much better on and a much happier dog!

Theres no meat in that!

·
Banned
77 Posts
I am appalled at those ingredients as my charlie was on that for years before he went onto royal canin large breed mature and now on NOW fresh grain free which he is doing so much better on and a much happier dog!

Theres no meat in that!
Personally i love no grain. Obviously theres some kind of grain as i feed my dog dry but the more meat and veggies the better. Sometimes on a good day. Ill cook up some rice and meat and they'll eat that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts