Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
i got my puppy 4 days ago and she hardly eats anything. She was really scared on the first day i got her but now she has started warming up. She is very energetic and likes to play but when i try to feed her she start running away. I tried different varieties of food and she eats a bit and then completely ignores it the next time. Since yesterday she also has diarrhea . i took her to the Vet 2 days ago but he said everything was fine but that was before the diarrhea.

Is there anything i can do to get her to eat?

·
Super Moderator
7,447 Posts
Are you feeding her the same as the breeder fed? Changing food on top of all the other changes in her life is just adding another layer of new stuff for her to cope with.

Try soaking it in warm water to release the smell before you put it down.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Your puppy has probably always eaten with her siblings and there was probably always competition between them all them. Now she has been taken from her familiar surroundings and is also having to learn to eat by herself with no competition from litter mates. She probably has a different kind of feeding bowl too. Is she now wearing a collar with a disc that may be rattling on the bowl as she attempts to feed ? She may not like this !
Offer her small feeds, only enough to be eaten at one go and take the remainder away until the next meal time 10 to 15 minutes per feed time should be plenty. Puppies by 8 weeks of age should be eating good quality solid food and no milky slop is required. Milk now can contribute to upset tummies.
Sit with her while she is eating, and have a cup of coffee, she may need the company and re assurance while she is feeding, if you move away she may decide to follow you rather than continue eating. Take a spoon and move the food around in her dish to keep her interested in it
Don't offer too much food at any one time, if she eats a nice little amount, just leave it at that and make her wait until the next feed.
Don't free feed her, she must learn to eat when food is given to her.
A young puppy at 8 weeks should be eating 4 small meals a day and by 12 weeks if she is doing well you can reduce this to 3 feeds a day. But first you obviously have to get her eating properly!
Try not to offer too many different types of food as this will probably cause an upset tummy . Take care with kibbles that use mainly grains as these are very difficult for dogs and puppies to digest, and again cause upset tummies.

Do as @JoanneF has suggested and use the food that the breeder was giving , try softening it with some warm water.

Please remember that our vets are not nutritionists and may not prescribe appropriate feeds for our canine pets.

I hope some of that made some sense. Good luck.
PHEW !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts