Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,I Have an 8 Year Old Female Pekingese,Named Lemay :rolleyes:. Her Breath Stinks Really Bad...Has For Years...& Just About a Year Ago...Her Teeth Have Slowly Started to Fall Out...She's Lost a total of 4 or 5 in a Year...And We've Seen,& gently touched her teeth to see if they were loose...and some of them were really loose. I'm Guessing She Has Gum Disease,because I've read up on it alot...and well,I'm Just Wondering If She's in Alot Of Pain?! :( Because She acts like she's only 2 years old! Very Playful!!! She Can Be a little grouchy,but,She that's just how she is! (haha)...And About a Week Ago,When One Of Her Teeth Fell Out...She Started Playin With Me Not Even 2 Minutes Later! So How Could She Be In Pain??? I Can't Afford to take her to the vet YET (I Will Very Soon..)...But Is Gum Disease Fatal Or Anything To Dogs? Or Just Any Info Anyone Might Have Let Me Know! Thanks So Much! -Amber :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes i can be very very painful dogs just hide pain much better. and yes it can be fatal, it can cause other issues too. I dont understand why you havnt been looking after this since it started years ago? my 7 year old dog still has sparkly white teeth no issues with them, as I have looked after them all these years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,I Used To Have A Yorkie & She Had Realllly Bad Breath & Her Teeth Were Just Fine! And I Will Tell People About Lemay's Breath & They Say "Ohh Alot Of Small Dogs Have Bad Breath" Or "Ohhh My Friend Has a Peke,& It's Breath Is Really Bad"....Or Something To That Matter! So I Just Kind Of Thought That It Was Just Something Small Dogs Or Pekes Got When They Were a Certain Age Or Something They Developed Over Time,Ya Know. I Had No Idea That It Was Gum Disease Until I Started Looking It All Up...& Then I Thought Of Those Dogs Whose Teeth Start Falling Out At ONE YEAR OLD...'The Chinese Crested Dogs'...I Just Had No Idea...I WILL Be Taking Her To The Vet Def!! AND also,I Took Her To The Vet About 9-10 Months Ago To Get Her Rabies Shot Again,& They Didn't Say Anything About Her When I Got Her...Nothing About Her Breath,Her Teeth,Nothing...I Would Have Thought They Would Have Said Something If They Thought Something Might Be Going On...But I'll Def. Get It Checked Out!!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You need to take the dog to a vet!!! It can be very painful for a dog with gum disease.:dog-cry: You should have taken her to a vet when her breath started to stink! I would Reccomend to take her ASAP!:dog-frown:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Realize That People...I Mean,I Know I Should Take Her To The Vet,I Know This,A Million Times,I KNOW this...I'm Sorry Im Not The Kind Of Person That Has Hundreds Of Dollars Just Laying Around To Take Her To The Vet This Very Second,Ya Know. I KNOW it'll be costly,correct. They Will Put Her On Anestesia & Remove The Teeth That Need Removed,Correct? Then They Will Polish The Ones That Don't Need Taken Out...Then They Will Give Her Antibiotics & Pain Medicine. What Will That Cost? Around $500 Maybe? Maybe More? I Will Take Her To The Vet When I Get Paid In About 1 1/2 Weeks,AND Pay Bills To Live. I Had No Idea It Was Gum Disease...I Feel Bad I Didn't Take Her Sooner!! But Her Breath Just Gradually Gotten Bad...So Like I Said,Didn't Know For Sure. So You All Should Stop Putting Me Down About It...

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Can you borrow the money from a family member or a friend until you get paid? How about a small personal loan? I'm not sure of your age but do you have a credit card with a balance for emergencies? Have you called around to actually see how much the initial exam and meds will be? Have you inquired if your Vet or others in your area have any type of payment plan where you could make installments? I would sell everything I have to make sure my pets weren't in pain, if I didn't have the money. I feel very sorry for your little one, she deserves better than this.

I have 4 pekingese-- all different ages and to think of any of them suffering needlessly just breaks my heart.
I hope you find a way and do the right thing.....for her sake.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You Have No Idea What Kind Of Living Situation People Are In....I Have Sold Almost Every I Own That Is Actually Valuable To Live Off To Pawn Shops...I Had To Get Food Stamps About a Year Ago. I Live With A Friend & Her Grandmother...& I Don't Even Have Health Insurance For Myself. And I'm Not In Contact With My Family,At All. Soo. I'm Doing All I Can For Me & My Dog,Thanks. She's All I Have & I'm All She Has....I Do Hope I Can Get Her To The Vet ASAP. She Deserves a Hell Of Alot Better Then This,Yes,But Seriously,Who Dog Or Human Doesn't These Days?! Ok...I Asked For Advice. Not Lectures From You All. So Thanks. AND I Think She's Been Treated Like BabyDoll (If You Had Any Idea How I Was With Lemay,& How She Lived,You Would Know). You All Just Act Like You Know Everything About The Situation Because I Havn't Gotten Her To The Vet YET! I'm Sorry That My Little Girl Doesn't Wear Tiara's & Go To The Groomer Once a Week & Have Gourmet Foods & Get To Go To Dog Shows OK. But She DOES Get The Sleep In Bed With Me,Go On Walks With Me,Go On Rides With Me,Gets Kibbles & Bits (instead of cheap ol'e roy,that alot of you i see, tend to get your dogs,when you have 'alot of money'),gets treats ALL the time,Gets Human Food,Gets Kisses,Hugs,ALL The Time! She Seriously is like my baby...So PLEASE,DO NOT Try to Imply That I Don't Treat Her Right. I Keep Up With All Her Shots...And I Would Never Want To See Her In Pain...It Just Doesn't Look To Me Like She Is ALL THE TIME,Like You All Try To Say. She Seems So Happy...

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is wrong with people?

Just because she doesn't have the money to take her dog to the vet doesn't mean she don't love her!!!
A LOT of people can not afford vet bills, they are too outrageous. Most of them wont even let you make payments! Maybe if they did, and weren't so uptight, people could take them. It's an operation that takes a good bit of money. If she acts like she's not in pain, save the money up to get her to the vet, that's all there is too it. These people on here accusing you for neglect and everything, they need to get a life. You do what you can do. You love her and spoil her. That's more than other dogs. I know she has a good life.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just because she doesn't have the money to take her dog to the vet doesn't mean she don't love her!!!
A LOT of people can not afford vet bills, they are too outrageous. Most of them wont even let you make payments! Maybe if they did, and weren't so uptight, people could take them. It's an operation that takes a good bit of money. If she acts like she's not in pain, save the money up to get her to the vet, that's all there is too it. These people on here accusing you for neglect and everything, they need to get a life. You do what you can do. You love her and spoil her. That's more than other dogs. I know she has a good life.
No one is calling her a bad owner. and just because the dog doesn't show pain doesn't mean she isn't in pain. have you ever had a tooth ace or a broken tooth, how about a cavity? Did it hurt to eat? sleep on it? hurt to talk? How did you show your pain??? I doubt you went limping around, or telling every one. much like a dog doesn't do that either.

this IS a serious thing and can become a much more serious problem. yes vets are expensive. if you cant affored vets to begin with dont get a dog. period. If you have a good track recored with your vet, they will more then likely let you do payment plans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not saying she shouldn't take her to the vet, I'm saying you all do NOT need to lecture her, when you don't know the situation. She has a loving home and you all do not need to put her down by saying "the dog is in soooo much pain" I think she knows this. She was looking for advice, not to hear her mommy lecture her. I believe the dog would love to be with a loving owner like her, than to be in a shelter or out on a chain day and night all alone. Leave it at that.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
To FluffyPanda
I aree with eveyone in that you need take you dog to the vet asap. I am sorry you are having a difficult time financially. You really may want to look into care credit or a personal loan. Ask your vet if they will work with you. The worst that will happen is for them to say no. But if you never ask, then you'll never know!

If I were you I would desperatly be searching the internet for grants and other funds available for veterinary care. There is a ton of free money out there. You will have to really search for it though. These types of grants and funds are typically available to low-income families or individuals, so it sounds like you would be a candidate.

This site is a good place to start.
AAHA Helping Pets Fund

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im deleting this post & my profile all together. Thanks for all the wonderful comments you all *sarcasm*. Hope you don't have to be in my shoes one day & your dog needs medical treatment...and see how you like it when people say the same thing to you as you did to me. You all do not know me or how lemay is treated. Ohhh,i wish i could let every single one of you see though. Theres no reason to reply to this post again,anyone. It's being deleted as well as my profile.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
I guess you did not like my advice???
To bad because I gave you a link to a great site! I just hope you will take the time to look at it for the sake of your dog.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Nobody said she was neglecting her dog and is a horrible owner...we simply said once the bad breath and especially the teeth falling out occurred the dog should have been taken to a vet.

I'm saying you all do NOT need to lecture her
She asked for advice and she got it. its not a lecture
Originally Posted by FluffyPanda
Im deleting this post & my profile all together. Thanks for all the wonderful comments you all *sarcasm*. Hope you don't have to be in my shoes one day & your dog needs medical treatment...and see how you like it when people say the same thing to you as you did to me. You all do not know me or how lemay is treated. Ohhh,i wish i could let every single one of you see though. Theres no reason to reply to this post again,anyone. It's being deleted as well as my profile.
We gave you advice which was see a vet. Your dog lost many teeth by obvious issues. Dogs can be in pain and not show it. If you took these comments as being rude then not sure what else to say to you.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
this thread has been closed to prevent any heated words from any of our members.

to all members posting in the health forum, please read this:
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-health/new-members-posting-health-section-please-1146/

you are legally (and morally) responsible for providing health care to your dog or any pet that you own, this should be a consideration before you purchase/adopt a dog.

suggestions that a dog needs to be seen by a veterinarian are not personal judgments/attacks on you, they are the advice of caring dog/pet/animal lovers... if you post in the health section, asking for advice, "take the dog to the vet" is advice that you should expect.

no one can force you to take the advice posted here, so long as no one is suggesting anything dangerous/harmful to you or your pet, and they are not name calling or being rude, they can give whatever advice they feel will help you. you are not obligated to take it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.