Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be the first time these comments have been stated in the history of the world but yes, my girl doesn't want to eat much right now.

I had her on this bully max food for a while and she was eating it like a ravenous monster. I ran out of it and bought something else (another good brand - blue buffalo). She hated the food but still ate some of it. Anyways, I got my shipment of bully max and I am still struggling to get her to eat. She's eating more of it than the blue buffalo but it's still a total struggle. I have to feed her one by one and even throw the pieces on the floor in front of her and almost force her to eat. I've been able to get her to eat a bit by putting some peanut butter into the bowl but she still doesn't finish it...she used to finish 2 full of plates and ask for more and more and more.

What do I do? I want her to be a 80 lb monster. I can't have her be skinny. She seems super healthy and full of tons of energy. Her poops are very solid and healthy looking

·
Registered
592 Posts
Why focus so much on the weight rather than the body condition? And the weight on the dog shouldn’t be added just by food but through muscle building. You don’t want a fat dog, you want a fit dog. Unfortunately there’s a lot of people that get those two mixed up, claiming to have a big, muscular dog when it’s just a purely fat, unhealthy dog.

Her age could have something to do with her loosing interest in food. I’ve heard many people experiencing the same thing when they’re around that age. Another reason could be that she’s just not hungry, how much are you feeding her? And how big is she?

Another thing to remember is that it’s actually quite unnatural for a dog to eat many small portions of food throughout the day. They’re actually built to eat bigger meals more rarley than for example a cat, that’s built to eat small portions more often. So it doesn’t have to mean that something’s wrong just because the dog doesn’t want to eat three meals a day. That being said, it could be an indication that something is wrong. I would start to worry if she’s becoming unhealthy because she won’t eat. How is her body condition right now? Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why focus so much on the weight rather than the body condition? And the weight on the dog shouldn’t be added just by food but through muscle building. You don’t want a fat dog, you want a fit dog. Unfortunately there’s a lot of people that get those two mixed up, claiming to have a big, muscular dog when it’s just a purely fat, unhealthy dog.

Her age could have something to do with her loosing interest in food. I’ve heard many people experiencing the same thing when they’re around that age. Another reason could be that she’s just not hungry, how much are you feeding her? And how big is she?

Another thing to remember is that it’s actually quite unnatural for a dog to eat many small portions of food throughout the day. They’re actually built to eat bigger meals more rarley than for example a cat, that’s built to eat small portions more often. So it doesn’t have to mean that something’s wrong just because the dog doesn’t want to eat three meals a day. That being said, it could be an indication that something is wrong. I would start to worry if she’s becoming unhealthy because she won’t eat. How is her body condition right now? Do you have pictures?
She looks great. Very healthy and muscular. I'm worried about this changing

Is it possible she could have health problems when she's a great mood, has lots of energy and poops look healthy?

And it doesn't matter whether I try to feed her 4 times or 2 times, she's not in mood to eat anymore

·
Registered
592 Posts
She looks great. Very healthy and muscular. I'm worried about this changing

Is it possible she could have health problems when she's a great mood, has lots of energy and poops look healthy?

And it doesn't matter whether I try to feed her 4 times or 2 times, she's not in mood to eat anymore
So you don’t have any pictures of her to share?

I wouldn’t worry if her general condition doesn’t change and she still does eat a moderate amount. How much is she eating now?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you don’t have any pictures of her to share?

I wouldn’t worry if her general condition doesn’t change and she still does eat a moderate amount. How much is she eating now?
so I figured out a way to have her eat - she is crazy about peanut butter. I hide the peanut butter under her kibbles and she eats it all

is this ok long term? Is this just a phase? Is 2 tablespoons of peanut butter everyday too much for her you guys think?

·
Registered
120 Posts
If her body condition doesn't change then I wouldn't worry about it? It isn't good to bulk a dog up so young because her joints and plates are developing and it could put a strain on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm glad you've found a way to keep your pup eating the right amount for her; just wanted to let you know something that worked for us in case it helps.
You didn't mention if you're feeding her wet or dry food. Our staffie cross loves eating but has never been fussed about dry food, and I think a lot of dogs just don't find it so appealing. We've kept her interested firstly by mixing a little wet (canned) food in with her kibble - a sustainable option for the longer term - and also by soaking her dry food in just a little hot water for a minute or so before we present it to her. It seems to release the tasty smells as well as to soften it enough to be easy to eat, plus is gentler on her (now old!) stomach. That's been a game-changer for us and a good long term solution.
Finally, I'm sure you're doing this anyway, but make sure she has access to plenty of fresh drinking water near her food. Dry food can be, well, dry - she might not be so tempted if she can't have a good drink after.
Hope this helps - good luck with it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad you've found a way to keep your pup eating the right amount for her; just wanted to let you know something that worked for us in case it helps.
You didn't mention if you're feeding her wet or dry food. Our staffie cross loves eating but has never been fussed about dry food, and I think a lot of dogs just don't find it so appealing. We've kept her interested firstly by mixing a little wet (canned) food in with her kibble - a sustainable option for the longer term - and also by soaking her dry food in just a little hot water for a minute or so before we present it to her. It seems to release the tasty smells as well as to soften it enough to be easy to eat, plus is gentler on her (now old!) stomach. That's been a game-changer for us and a good long term solution.
Finally, I'm sure you're doing this anyway, but make sure she has access to plenty of fresh drinking water near her food. Dry food can be, well, dry - she might not be so tempted if she can't have a good drink after.
Hope this helps - good luck with it!

the hot water fixed it. She demolished the plate today. Thanks so much

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's fantastic news; I'm so glad! Thanks for letting me know.
Give her a pat from me!
scratch that. It worked great the first time but it doesn't seem to work the second time I tried it

I seem to only be able to get her to eat if I do like 70% wet food 30% dry food. Wet food is low quality stuff though and it's expensive

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ah no, just when you thought you had it sorted!

It seems you've likely researched this already, but it definitely sounds sensible to double-check that you're feeding her the recommended amount of her food for her age, weight and activity level.

Assuming that's as it should be, I guess the next question would be how committed you are to the specific kibble you're giving her. Some dogs just take against a certain brand / flavour and love another (and often with no relationship to the cost / perceived nutritional value of the food!). If you're very set on sticking with her current kibble, there a still a few factors you could play around with.

The first is what we've been discussing already - the treat or "garnish" with the kibble. Seems like peanut butter is one flavour she LOVES; the hot water seemed to help at least once in enhancing flavors too. You can try to figure out her favourite foods, and mix just a little in with the main kibble each meal, to add flavour. Smelly or strong-tasting foods will work especially well - our dog loves liver and cheese, so those are easy wins. In addition, if you mix up the "garnish" you use, that will keep things exciting for her and keep her engaged. Obviously make sure whatever you try her with is dog-suitable, and keep the quantities small to ensure most of her nutrition is from the balanced kibble.

Another thing you could try is how you feed her. It seems counterintuitive to slow her eating down, but feeders which make eating fun could help her engage - for example, we love the Kong Wobbler which dispenses kibble as the dog knocks it around - treat-dispensing balls are out there too.There are also snuffle mats and slow feeder bowls which again turn eating into a game; especially good if she's playful in general. And you can try asking her to do tricks which you reward with pieces of kibble.

Finally, you might like to experiment with when you feed. We feed our dog after walks - she works up an appetite, and it also stops her dawdling TOO much as she has something tasty waiting upon her return. You might like to try that if you're not doing so already. Conversely, you might like to "reward" her after eating with her favourite toy or a gentle play session (just avoid heavy exercise on a full stomach because of the risk of bloat). And you might like to try different times of day, since just like us, she might be more or less hungry at various points.

I appreciate you might have thought about / tried all this already - if so, feel free to ignore. Just wanted to give you a few more ideas in case there's anything you hadn't thought of. Let us know how it goes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts