Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 7 year old chihuahua, he's such a good dog obeys every time he's told to sit, lie down, stand still or if he's told to come. He can run outside and comes back right away when I call his name, I can say "go to your cage" and he will go even if it's on the other side of the house. But there is a very annoying things that I really need help with, my parents are talking about having to get rid of him if it won't stop.

1) He pee's everywhere inside! and he knows that he's not allowed to because no matter how much we watch him he'll never do it then. But as soon as he get's the chance he will pee inside. We've tried to spray some smells that is supposed to make him not want to, didn't work. Some people said he was just bored but he gets around 1 hour outside running free everyday. Always pees and poops outside but also pee's inside. :confused:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
What a distressing situation.

How long has this been happening?

Has he had a vet check for this issue? There could be a medical reason he is going inside.

Have you cleaned the areas where he's peed with an enzymatic cleaner designed for pet urine odors?

Could he be marking?

Has he ever been scolded for accidents?

How much mental exercise does he get?

If there is nothing medically wrong, go back basics with him: House Training How Tos: (even if it is a medical issue, you may need to do some training as a reminder)

Clean the soiled areas with an enzymatic cleaner.

Don't scold (if you do).

Consider increasing his mental exercise - do some training, take him to new places, feed in puzzle toys, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's been doing this for some years now, but it's increasing. I try to take him out running once a day for 40-60 minutes. And he can go outside to the garden and pee anytime he wants and he always goes to the door when he has to pee, we let him out he does his needs outside but then he also does them inside. I used to think it was because we had another dog when we got him, but he's dead now and since then we've had new floors and new furniture all over the house so it's not marking his terretory anymore, plus he is castrated so that shouldn't be the problem. I've spent a whole day trying to catch him in the act, but he won't get caught. but I do guess he might be doing it out of boredom ?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It could still be marking. Marking is usually higher - a few inches off the floor, I believe. Even altered dogs mark.

I'd have a vet check just to be safe and then follow the steps in the house training sticky. Basically, you want to supervise or confine so that the only opportunity he has to go is outside. Prevention is key.

·
Registered
24 Posts
He's been doing this for some years now, but it's increasing. I try to take him out running once a day for 40-60 minutes. And he can go outside to the garden and pee anytime he wants and he always goes to the door when he has to pee, we let him out he does his needs outside but then he also does them inside. I used to think it was because we had another dog when we got him, but he's dead now and since then we've had new floors and new furniture all over the house so it's not marking his terretory anymore, plus he is castrated so that shouldn't be the problem. I've spent a whole day trying to catch him in the act, but he won't get caught. but I do guess he might be doing it out of boredom ?
Hmmm....little dogs do tend to have dominance issues, even when no longer intact.

First, definitely check with the vet. There could be something wrong, but I think most likely not. If this has been going on for years, I would think this insinuates a dog who does not respect the household. It sounds like you still have a crate for the dog...how are you using it? It sounds like this is an instance where you need to put the dog in the crate A) Overnight, B) When you aren't home, C) When you are in a different room. The little man shouldn't want to pee on himself....if he does then he probably needs the vet checkup. Diabetes can cause dogs to urinate themselves uncontrollably.

*Monitor water intake. Do not just leave tons of water out anymore. The more free water there is hanging out, the more chances he has to over drink and relieve himself in the house.

*Gate certain parts of the home. Do not let him have run of the house anymore! Close doors, put gates up. If you cannot watch him, put him in his cage. You must treat him as a puppy now unfortunately.

*Take him outside at least once an hour. Someone has to. If they can't, in the kennel he goes!

This is pure prevention. I have seen people with this specific breed actually buy dog diapers since the dogs were so set on peeing in the house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he never pees in the places he sleeps, ever. if he's in his cage for 8 hours he won't pee. I'm going to order a diaper online to try, and have less water also. And he does go out once an hour he's not so much alone home and he is avilable to go out anytime he want's he just walks to the garden door and someone opens for him, and I see him pee outside all the time, but still inside as well.

·
Registered
811 Posts
How does your dog know not to pee in the house? All he seems to know is not to do it when you're around. Has he ever been caught/shouted at/punished for peeing indoors? Why have you not addressed the problem when you first became aware of it? The longer something goes on, the longer it is to solve it.

From now on I would not give him the opportunity to do it again - that means no unsupervised freedom in the house. So either you watch him all the time (so he cannot sneak into another room, behind the sofa etc), or he is in his crate or his leash tied to your waist. When he pees where he should, I'd make it worth his while - lots of what he likes - treats, praise, play.

All of the above will only work if his vet declares him clear from bladder/urinary problems.

Good luck, put in the hard work and you will reap rewards.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree with the others. It has nothing to do with 'dominance' or respect. And at this point it is a habit. Even neutered dogs can mark, so don't rule that out. Marking is normally a smaller amount of pee than if they really have to go. He could be insecure and feels the need to let everyone know this is his. It's common in smaller dogs. Treat him like a puppy when you house train. He is with you at all times or in the crate. Praise him for going outside, don't punish him if he has an accident. But make sure you clean it up well. And like mentioned, get him vet checked. UTI and diabetes are just two things that can increase urination.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.