Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
almost everyday or every other day for the passed couple weeks hes been puking everyday. He otherwise acts fine, could it be from changing his food? or from getting into scraps maybe? something outside? hes not up to date on his shots yet so that worries me a bit but he has had no other interaction with any other dogs and due to COVID-19 our walks have been limited so i would think he wouldnt have caught anything... I am planning on getting him his shots its just not very possible right now with everything going on i have no way to get to the vet but if this puking thing continues im gunna have to find a way. Hes a jack russel/beagle mix if that matters. He acts fine and is his normal playful self, jus puking once every day or so recently. Not sure if this forum is even for asking questions i went on the first site google came up with to ask fellow dog owners opinions before i freak out.

·
Super Moderator
1,657 Posts
It's fine to ask questions, it's what we are here for. However it could be one of any of the things you mention, and obviously nobody can diagnose remotely.

The risk to unvaccinated dogs can come from urine and faeces rather than direct contact, so that would be a concern.

But to eliminate the simplest things first, can you put him back on the old food, make absolutely sure he gets no scraps and if he is still unwell you will have to take him to a vet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does he ever chew on bones? Does he puke mostly at a certain time, such as in the mornings? Is he throwing up actual food or just yellow bile? Obviously it’s best to get him in to a vet if you’re really concerned, but my puppy was consistently throwing up yellow bile in his crate in the mornings. I thought his stomach was too empty, so I started feeding him right before bed. That wasn’t the issue! It was actually the bones he was chewing on, and as soon as I cut them out, the puking stopped.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You can't let that go on for too long, as he will suffer potential nutritional deficiencies, plus there is always the danger of dehydration. Is there an emergency vet anywhere near you, that you could get him to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's fine to ask questions, it's what we are here for. However it could be one of any of the things you mention, and obviously nobody can diagnose remotely.

The risk to unvaccinated dogs can come from urine and faeces rather than direct contact, so that would be a concern.

But to eliminate the simplest things first, can you put him back on the old food, make absolutely sure he gets no scraps and if he is still unwell you will have to take him to a vet.

thank you so much for your reply! unfortunately i cant put him back on his old food as i bought it from a corner store near my old house an hour away and havnt been able to find it anywhere nearby at all hence why i changed his food ): a friend of mine suggested a can of that dog pumpkin stuff from the petstore as it helps with digestion might try that. I read a suggestion on another site that said only let him drink water for 24 hours to clear out his system but is that cruel? To not give him food for that long? Sorry for all the questions its my first time having my own dog so hoping someone with more experience may know
Does he ever chew on bones? Does he puke mostly at a certain time, such as in the mornings? Is he throwing up actual food or just yellow bile? Obviously it’s best to get him in to a vet if you’re really concerned, but my puppy was consistently throwing up yellow bile in his crate in the mornings. I thought his stomach was too empty, so I started feeding him right before bed. That wasn’t the issue! It was actually the bones he was chewing on, and as soon as I cut them out, the puking stopped.

Yeah he does chew on bones a decent amount actually, im not sure if im completely convinced thats his issue though because he hadnt had one in awhile since a couple days ago and was still puking ):

·
Super Moderator
1,657 Posts
Pumpkin is usually advised for diarrhoea or constipation (different amounts help both) rather than vomiting. If anything, a bland diet such as boiled rice with white fish or chicken can rest the stomach. But if this has been going on for a couple of weeks, I'm not sure if bland food would be enough to help.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
When ours has a gastric upset, we give her rice and broth until her system settles down. Keeps her from getting too hungry, and is easy for her to process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts