Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my partner and I got a golden retriever puppy (male) when he was 8 weeks old, he is now 6 months. We have another dog (female) and a cat (female). He has become more attached to me - wherever I go he is glued to my side- but he has recently started peeing on my partners side of the bed. He even pooped right by his pillow a few weeks ago. He is house trained, but when we take him outside to go pee he will just play around and act like he doesn't need to go. Then he will come inside, and pee a lake on my partners side of the bed. After he does this he goes and lays under his computer desk and acts sorry.... I'm not sure what to do because this is the 5th or 6th time he has done this, and he knows what he's doing is wrong. Please help

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
The simple solution is to keep the bedroom door shut, or at least make sure you don't ever let him in there unsupervised.

Did you ever use puppy pads? The texture of bedlinen is quite similar and so using a bed as an alternative is fairly common.

When you take him out, and he doesn't toilet, bring him back in but don't take your eyes off him. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop him up and get him out fast. If he doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take him out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets. Remember to reward immediately and generously. It has to be immediate to be clear that it's for toileting and not for anything else and it has to be generous to make it worth his while to hold his toilet until he is outside.
After he does this he goes and lays under his computer desk and acts sorry....
he knows what he's doing is wrong.
Actually, he doesn't. Dogs don't do sorry, and right/wrong like that. What he is doing is giving appeasement signals, which are his reaction to you being cross with him. You may not be actually scolding him but he is picking something up in your body language.

If you do scold him for accidents though, please stop. He isn't doing this to annoy you. If you get annoyed he may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if he needs to toilet (by going off and toileting out of sight) - or perhaps this is what he is doing now. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at them TOILETING, as opposed to toileting INDOORS. So hard as it is, try not to react.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dogs don't do sorry, and right/wrong like that. What he is doing is giving appeasement signals, which are his reaction to you being cross with him. You may not be actually scolding him but he is picking something up in your body language.
Totally true. Take these two times my dog drew blood. She wasn't at fault either time. The first time I feigned anger, but she just looked me like, hey what are you doing with these loud noises? Let's keep playing. The second time it really hurt, and I instantly got angry. I didn't say a thing because I knew it wasn't her fault. But my doggie rolled over and "looked guilty." Dogs are really good at reading our emotion. Because the way dogs respond takes into account our emotional state, it seems like they share our sense of right and wrong when they in fact don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The simple solution is to keep the bedroom door shut, or at least make sure you don't ever let him in there unsupervised.

Did you ever use puppy pads? The texture of bedlinen is quite similar and so using a bed as an alternative is fairly common.

When you take him out, and he doesn't toilet, bring him back in but don't take your eyes off him. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop him up and get him out fast. If he doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take him out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets. Remember to reward immediately and generously. It has to be immediate to be clear that it's for toileting and not for anything else and it has to be generous to make it worth his while to hold his toilet until he is outside.

Actually, he doesn't. Dogs don't do sorry, and right/wrong like that. What he is doing is giving appeasement signals, which are his reaction to you being cross with him. You may not be actually scolding him but he is picking something up in your body language.

If you do scold him for accidents though, please stop. He isn't doing this to annoy you. If you get annoyed he may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if he needs to toilet (by going off and toileting out of sight) - or perhaps this is what he is doing now. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at them TOILETING, as opposed to toileting INDOORS. So hard as it is, try not to react.
Thank you so much for all of the advice! We will start implementing these and hopefully that solves it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts