Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very worried about my puppy, Bentley. He is a 6 month old mixed breed. We've had him since he was 2 or 3 months old from a pet store. We've potty trained him from the start. He was doing excellent at first so we stopped with the whole giving him a treat after everytime going out thing. He continued to do well and pottied only outside so we assumed that he understood what he was supposed to be doing. BUT, within the last month he has had several accidents in the house. He has peed out of fear (ex: getting in trouble by my girlfriend & vacume cleaner usually), excitement, and just randomly. When I say randomly, I mean he literally will be pee in his sleep, as he is walking, while sitting down at our feet looking up at us, or even while laying on my lap on the couch. When it comes to the whole fear thing, we were not very angry when he peed due to the vacume cleaner because we understood that he truly was scared. Everyone is scared of something right? Before peeing, he chased the vacume throughout the house barking and growling it. Then, he jumped on the couch, hid, and peed. When it comes to being scared while being punished, sometimes, (like earlier today), my girlfriend simply raised her, pointed at him, and told him to "Come here and lay down". He got scared, layed down, and put his head down toward the ground and refused to go to her. Then, when he did he instantly layed down and peed in the process. Also, the with the other accidents we will literally be sitting there petting him and he will pee. Or, we will be watching a movie and he'll be sitting at out feet and start peeing randomly. We DO let him outside a lot. We have a fenced in backyard so we let him out to potty every two-three hours at the most. What I personally don't understand is the fact that every Thursday we work and have class so he is home alone in his cage for nearly 10 hours yet never potties inside. At first, I thougt it was simply because he never peed in his cage, but a few days ago my girlfriend was sitting next to his cage, I guess you could say lecturing him haha about peeing in the house and digging. She was using a normal tone and was not being harsh or mean and out of nowhere he peed in his cage. SO, there went my cage hypothesis. We are not sure what to do with him anymore. He has also been digging a lot outside. And I mean HUGE holes in our backyard everywhere. We punish him but he just keeps digging more holes. We put his nose in the hole like we have always been told to do but clearly he is not getting it. We even tried letting him outside for just a couple of minutes, (long enough to potty), but he still was digging. Also, we tried staying outside with him while he pottied but he even dug right in front of us. So, overall we are completely lost and have no idea what to do with him. Neither of us want a dog that is going to completely tear up our house but we both love him with all of our hearts. We do not know what to do. PLEASE HELP.

Mariah

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum...
Scolding can cause fearful urination. Then this can turn into submissive urination because of the anticipation of being scolded. Also never call a dog to you to punish them. This also will cause mental issues/fear/submissive reactions. I would start back with praising/treats for good behavior. Do not scold for what you do not see. Even then try to stay calm...go to him ..say a simple no..potty outside while carrying or leading outside.

As for digging I would make a flirt pole (toy on a string) and play with him so he is not bored outside. Also give him plenty of toys that keep him busy..kongs and other toys like it. Teach him "leave it" for when he digs and give him something to play with instead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.