Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 5 month old pup who we adopted at 12 weeks old, he is such a great pup, excellent with all humans' including small children, very chilled and well behaved, but he is no longer the playful pup he used to be. I was working from home to be with him for the first month after we got him, now that I am back working in the office and my partner ahs just started a new job, we have put him into doggy daycare 3-4 times a week, which he seems to love. I get that he is absolutely shattered after being there all day, but when at home, he just does not want to play anymore, doesn;t respond to ball play, rope/toy tug, just sleeps, eats and has a little chew on some toys, and that's it. Is it because he's not getting enough time with us and often when we are busy getting dinner etc sorted. He usually sleeps for an hour after daycare and then has dinner and heads outside for a bit, just to wander, then he's back to resting and sleep, when I try and initiate play, he just seems uninterested. Do we need to make more of an effort to spend more time with him? Is that much time at a very busy doggy daycare too much for him while hes so young, is he spending too much time there when he should have more time with us? We are first time dog owners so we are still learning and trying to do the best for our boy, just need to know what other's think, I could be overthinking it, but I want to have a playful energetic pup, as I love to play with him and take him places for play and walks etc, but feel that because we think that he's had a lot of time at daycare, and seems so tired, we tend to allow him to sleep and rest when we could be doing it all wrong and should be getting him up and out and about more? Any suggestions or support would be great :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
I would suspect that he is simply worn out, especially if the daycare is not giving the dogs some 'down time' to rest during the day. He is a growing puppy and does need to rest and give his body and mind some time to recover from a physically and mentally challenging/demanding day.
Perhaps, if it works for you, consider cutting back on the daycare time, perhaps half a day at a time, or 2 or 3 days a week, with a day at home in between those days and see if that makes any difference in his energy level in the evenings when you have time to spend/play with him.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Also, do not try to get him amped up at home. He needs his rest, he may tell you to back off in a way you don't want (tired dogs are often closer to threshold), and while you may want a high-energy pup, I don't think you want a super athlete who cannot settle and needs ten hours of stimulation to not tear your house apart or climb the walls. He also probably wants to be alone outside because he needs to decompress from daycare. As CachetheBC said, could you cut down on the daycare a little?

·
Registered
86 Posts
We have a 5 month old pup who we adopted at 12 weeks old, he is such a great pup, excellent with all humans' including small children, very chilled and well behaved, but he is no longer the playful pup he used to be. I was working from home to be with him for the first month after we got him, now that I am back working in the office and my partner ahs just started a new job, we have put him into doggy daycare 3-4 times a week, which he seems to love. I get that he is absolutely shattered after being there all day, but when at home, he just does not want to play anymore, doesn;t respond to ball play, rope/toy tug, just sleeps, eats and has a little chew on some toys, and that's it. Is it because he's not getting enough time with us and often when we are busy getting dinner etc sorted. He usually sleeps for an hour after daycare and then has dinner and heads outside for a bit, just to wander, then he's back to resting and sleep, when I try and initiate play, he just seems uninterested. Do we need to make more of an effort to spend more time with him? Is that much time at a very busy doggy daycare too much for him while hes so young, is he spending too much time there when he should have more time with us? We are first time dog owners so we are still learning and trying to do the best for our boy, just need to know what other's think, I could be overthinking it, but I want to have a playful energetic pup, as I love to play with him and take him places for play and walks etc, but feel that because we think that he's had a lot of time at daycare, and seems so tired, we tend to allow him to sleep and rest when we could be doing it all wrong and should be getting him up and out and about more? Any suggestions or support would be great :)
I'd say he's just worn out from all the daycare activities. Does he see to have more energy on your days off when he's not going to daycare? If he goes on your days off too, I'd cut those days out and make them your play days with him.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It sounds to me as though he's worn out. Dogs need more sleep than humans. Even my adult dogs nap quite a bit during the day; I wouldn't expect them to function well in the evening if they were busy all day without the opportunity for some down time. A growing puppy, just like a growing kid, needs even more sleep than an adult dog. Definitely let your pup have his rest after he gets home if you continue sending him to daycare daily. A tired puppy is more likely to be a rude and cranky puppy, and that's no fun for him or the other puppies at daycare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts