Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I have had Albert since he was 9 weeks old and he just turned 5 months the other day. We live in an apartment together, with no other animals. We had a rough start with certain behaviors (barking and peeing for attention and demanding our food) but he has progressed significantly. There are still some moments of frustration of course, but I always step back and am amazing at well he has gotten. There is just one major issue that is starting to become a nuisance --- when my fiance takes him to his parent's house (where they have 2 other dogs) he acts up so horribly. It's embarrassing..

Background: his parents have an 8 year old female pug, and a 2 year old female lab.

He will have accidents EVERYWHERE. When he first gets there he forces out a poop on the floor. Yes, forces. As in, he pooped just before we got in the car to get there and he strains to let one out in their kitchen. RIGHT when we get to their house we make him pee and sniff to poop because we know the excitement might make him tinkle. But 15 minutes after being there or being let out he'll leave a huge puddle. Just this morning I got the report that after 4 hours being awake he peed in the house 5 times and pooped once inside. This is less than 15 minutes after being outside and drinking once. (We do not let him have constant access to water because he drinks the whole bowl. We give it to him right after he's peed or once an hour. He still managed to make puddles of pee.)

He simply cannot chill out in that house. The dogs are older and are not always in the mood to play but he feels he needs to. He will jump on them, shove toys in their face, get rough and he even nipped the older pug in the leg to provoke her!

When my fiance puts him in his crate to relax and chill, he barks and screams for hours. Meanwhile he's PERFECT in his crate at the apartment or even my parents house! I could go on with everything but I'm already writing a novel. Basically, he's a CRAZY dog there.

I feel like he associates that house with a free zone where he thinks he can do whatever he wants. I'm worried he now thinks he can take advantage of the family and keep acting like this. I'm also worried that they might have worsened the situation because he's "too cute" and its "okay" if he jumps and runs around like that. When he comes to my house I'm much more diciplined: he needs to sit for pets, he gets ignored if he jumps or barks, everyone has to remain calm so he doesn't get overexcited and he gets tethered to wherever we are. At my fiance's house he get free roam with the other dogs and I feel like that's the problem. THAT, and he just doesn't understand when to chill out.

Because of this I've decided to enroll him in puppy classes to "fine tune" his manners AND teach him that not every dog is going to play with him and it's OK. Does anyone else have other suggestions? It's hard to try and keep up his training at their house because I'm not always there and they're dog people so I feel rude to tell them what to do....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Training classes are a great idea for any puppy in my opinion, Not only does it aid in teaching your puppy some manners, but it's good to get them out in different environments and socialize with new people, dogs, etc.
As for why your puppy is acting out at your fiance's parents' home, I think he's just testing the boundaries, as many young dogs to. That includes what he can and can't get away with when it comes to playing with the other dogs. He'll quickly know these rules when he goes too far and the other dog retaliates.
Bottom line is, his parents should abide by the rules that you've put in place for your dog. If they can't respect that, then simply don't take him over there unsupervised anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dogstar, yes that's what I think so too. I probably should've also mentioned that we've been taking him to their house every other weekend since he was 10 weeks old. And he's stayed for long periods during Thanksgiving (and now Christmas break). So my fear is that they have to do some serious disciplining to reverse his behavior and they're not going to do it because "he's just a puppy and it's okay."

I think I'd be more concerned if his behavior was spilling over but he only does it there. I'm just so frustrated that I feel like they've dug their own grave and they have to deal with it but I don't want to think that way because I want him to be a good dog for everyone.

Last night he stayed overnight with me at my Mom's house for the first time. We waited so long because he took A MONTH to sleep quietly at the fiance's. But we had him all day, with no accidents and he slept all night without a peep. The excuse might be the other dogs but I feel like the problem is that they're relying on the other dogs to wear him out but all it does is rile him up. I'm going to stress that they take him for walks too to get energy out before he plays with the other dogs.

I think now that he did so good he'll be staying with me some weekends too so I won't be as upset with bad reports lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts