Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really going insane right now. I have 2 Chihuahuas one Male named Koa who I have had for 5 - 6 years and a Female who I have gotten 4 months ago who is about 1 year old.

Recently Koa has become VERY timid and stressed out. He doesn't like to move anymore unless he needs to go outside. When they come in from going outside they typically get a treat, but they have to come to the spot where I give it to them to get it. Koa won't come. He goes to his bed and sits there shivering with his tail tucked. If I have him come somewhere which is REALLY hard to do now he doesn't leave that spot after, he'll just lay down.

Outside he tends to stick close to things now.. the side of the house or an area of tall grass. Instead of wandering the yard like he use to. After he finishes going whatever he needs to he'll sit or lay down somewhere and not want to move.

My Female Bella is of course very playful and often runs up to him at full speed while outside.. this USE to not be a problem. now if she comes close to him at anything more then a trot he Cries out like he's in terror and starts whining afterwards.. his tail tucked down.

Last night while making my bed ready, I accidentally leaned my hand down on Koa's paw a bit hard when I lost my balance. He SCREAMED and whined trying to bury himself between the pillows that were there like he had been hit hard. When I finally calmed him down and laid down he buried himself in my arm and tucked his head away from me.

This morning when he got up he did jump down from the bed to go outside to pee. But when he jumped down, after walking a few steps his nose bumped into a wire that was bowed up from the floor. He yipped like he had been slapped, though did continue to the door without stopping.

He has literally lost all playfulness and now just stays where ever he is, he doesn't greet me when I wake up in the morning like he use to. He doesn't get excited for anything anymore.. and it REALLY has me worried as this has happened over the course of 2 days...

Things I know and can eliminate.

My Wife passed away 3 months ago. Koa did go through a depression time but has already healed from that.

He has already Adjusted to Bella.

They were both fixed 3 weeks ago. He showed no signs of changes until 2 days ago.

I know Koa does have an eye sight issues. He sees find during the day but at night he has a hard time when it is dark. He has almost walked into a few things when it is really dark out though he maneuvers the room just fine. Couple nights ago he accidentally walked into a wire mesh trash can I have and yipped when he did. I know he can see well during the day as I can move far away from him and he'll follow me where ever I go outside with his head even if I don't call for him. My greatest fear is his eyesight is failing suddenly.. though like I said.. he seems fine during the day...

I don't think he is in pain. I have checked him over testing areas and movement for sore spots or pain. He can jump up on the bed and down just fine. and he gave no signs of being in pain as I checked him over.

I don't have the money to take him to the vet right now. Hopefully I can at the start of the month if this keeps up... but what I really need is advice on what it could be or what to do. Like I said.. my wife passed away 3 months ago and my Dogs are all I have. Please can anyone help me on this?

·
Registered
989 Posts
First I want to send my deepest condolences for your loss, and I completely understand your concern with Koa. He clearly means a lot to you and I can understand how upsetting behavior like this can be when your pup was once playful.

I think since this is new behavior you should definitely visit the vet before anything else. When Cosmo gets injured I can squeeze his paw and bend his leg and not a peep, but he won't put any weight in it at all so it's like what the heck dog!

It really sounds like Koa may be ill, especially from the lying down when you place him somewhere or his refusal to walk anywhere. That is lathargic behavior and needs to be checked by a vet. My cat did this when she caught distemper so I think it's extremely important to get it checked out because it could be a wide array of things.

If the vet check goes smoothly and nothing is internally wrong with Koa then it may also be anxiety, and if he's not moving and shaking like that it then it sounds extreme to me, and your vet can also give you some medication that can help him cope as well as get him back to his normal self. Sometimes vests are prescribed that kind of give your dog a hug to soothe them if he is nervous.

To me it sounds like his body is sore and maybe aching which is making him sensitive to touch, even soft ones and making him not want to move. Reminds me of when I had the flu and miserably laid on the couch and snapped at anyone who touched me because I was just achy and miserable so he may be experiencing something like that

Definitely speak with your vet, he or she will be able to help you whether it be some form of onset anxiety or something internal. Good luck to the both of you and I am hoping for the best!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I COMPLETELY missed the part about not having enough money. I also completely understand being in a pinch. I would highly suggest calling around to see if any of your local vets accept Carecredit and sign up if they do. It will allow you to pay off your vet bills over time so you don't have to just hand them hundreds of dollars up front.

Better safe than sorry, and I think Koa needs to go in. If you have any friends or family members that may be able to help you out I would be asking around because that's certainly not normal for a healthy dog to regress into that kind of behavior.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm really going insane right now. I have 2 Chihuahuas one Male named Koa who I have had for 5 - 6 years and a Female who I have gotten 4 months ago who is about 1 year old.

My Female Bella is of course very playful and often runs up to him at full speed while outside.. this USE to not be a problem. now if she comes close to him at anything more then a trot he Cries out like he's in terror and starts whining afterwards.. his tail tucked down.

Last night while making my bed ready, I accidentally leaned my hand down on Koa's paw a bit hard when I lost my balance. He SCREAMED and whined trying to bury himself between the pillows that were there like he had been hit hard. When I finally calmed him down and laid down he buried himself in my arm and tucked his head away from me.

He has literally lost all playfulness and now just stays where ever he is, he doesn't greet me when I wake up in the morning like he use to. He doesn't get excited for anything anymore.. and it REALLY has me worried as this has happened over the course of 2 days...

Things I know and can eliminate.

My Wife passed away 3 months ago. Koa did go through a depression time but has already healed from that.

He has already Adjusted to Bella.

They were both fixed 3 weeks ago. He showed no signs of changes until 2 days ago.
I wonder if his eyesight has very abruptly gotten worse, due to an infection or something? I think what he's doing is what I'd do if I suddenly lost a lot of eyesight - not moving much, afraid of 'shadows' coming toward me, generally depressed/scared. If he's already scared from that, and then he's suddenly 'hurt', it could have made him react a great deal more than he otherwise might have when you pushed against his paw.

It really does sound like he needs to see a vet as soon as possible. I understand you are in a bit of financial bind right now, but perhaps a friend/family member would be willing to help out?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I wonder if his eyesight has very abruptly gotten worse, due to an infection or something? I think what he's doing is what I'd do if I suddenly lost a lot of eyesight - not moving much, afraid of 'shadows' coming toward me, generally depressed/scared. If he's already scared from that, and then he's suddenly 'hurt', it could have made him react a great deal more than he otherwise might have when you pushed against his paw.

It really does sound like he needs to see a vet as soon as possible. I understand you are in a bit of financial bind right now, but perhaps a friend/family member would be willing to help out?
I never even considered that! That's a really good suggestion. I saw a video of a dog (was actually a chihuahua ironically) who was scared to move because he was blind and constantly bumped into things. The owners built a little plastic bar that stretched around the front of him so if he bumped into something it would hit the bar first instead of his nose and he wasn't scared to walk around anymore. Lovely video, and it just occurred to me that lack of movement could be from fear or moving due to poor eyesight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Due to you guys advice I've chosen to take him to the Vet. I have been hoping to wait till I get paid. I have a little money between a couple of Credit Cards. I looked into credit care and insurance and neither will help.

Personally I don't care if this straps me for cash or credit now.. this is my boy and you guys are right, I need to take him and find out what is wrong and what I can / need to do.. thank you.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Due to you guys advice I've chosen to take him to the Vet. I have been hoping to wait till I get paid. I have a little money between a couple of Credit Cards. I looked into credit care and insurance and neither will help.

Personally I don't care if this straps me for cash or credit now.. this is my boy and you guys are right, I need to take him and find out what is wrong and what I can / need to do.. thank you.
I'm glad to hear and I hope all goes well in both of your favors! Maybe it will be nothing and just cost you the average lunch for two and a bit of advice from your vet, but maybe it's something life threatening you never know. Better safe than sorry!

I'm sorry care credit didn't work out for you :( Did they say anything or does your vet simply not accept care credit?

Good luck, you and Koa will be in my thoughts! Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad to hear and I hope all goes well in both of your favors! Maybe it will be nothing and just cost you the average lunch for two and a bit of advice from your vet, but maybe it's something life threatening you never know. Better safe than sorry!

I'm sorry care credit didn't work out for you :( Did they say anything or does your vet simply not accept care credit?

Good luck, you and Koa will be in my thoughts! Keep us posted :)
Thank you. I'll update this thread with the results if you want to check back tomorrow. I say tomorrow because I live in Hawaii and the appointment isn't for another 2 hours. Time differences can be pretty big.

Credit Care just rejected me due to credit. I have credit with a slightly below average score.. I have a couple of cards AND a car I am trying to pay off so Payments Vs income is pretty tight. Tighter then most companies like to see. Plus I have been forced to close to max out what Credit I have in dealing with the aftermath of my Wife passing and taking care of her Funeral and other expenses that have come in the aftermath.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I understand, and I'm sorry to hear that :( I also don't qualify for care credit because I'm young and haven't built up sufficient credit so I feel your frustration.

I'll keep you and Koa in my thoughts :) x good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys okay, so here's what went on. The vet gave him an Exam ( I could not afford diagnostics ) He has no major problems pain wise but it doesn't mean he's not in pain. He could have soft tissue pain dune to jumping down off something or from when Belle tends to run into him at high speed trying to be playful.

He also said Koa CAN see, though how well he can see is impossible to tell cause you cannot give a dog an eye test. He said that if he is or does lose his sight though, it tends to be something dogs adjust to quickly.

In the end he gave me some pain medication for him to see if it helps with any pain her might be having. As we were going to leave I was nearly knocked off my feet. Koa was actually pulling at his leash!!! HE was trying so hard to get to a tree stump LOL!!!. I picked up a treat for them on the way home and Koa knows when this happens. When we got home he was so happy!

Still after everything settled down he went back to being timid but was not yipping and jumping at everything. This morning Koa was actually wandering the yard again! not sticking close to me and not just sitting down!!! He didn't yip when bella came running up to him!! He even jumped up to his typical spot to get his treat!!! :D

So in short, it does seem like it was a pain issue, and he is starting to return to normal. I know a few around me personally that think I just threw away money not needed to be told he'll be fine.. but they just don't get it. I have peace of mind that my boy is going to be okay :)

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I know a few around me personally that think I just threw away money not needed to be told he'll be fine.. but they just don't get it. I have peace of mind that my boy is going to be okay :)

Thanks everyone!
I've done the same, but the peace of mind is worth it. I'm glad whatever it was has cleared up.

Thanks for the update.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.