Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought home 1month old puppy. I am feeding him "Droolz puppy food" with some biscuits 3-4 times a day.

The problem is there is a puss-gunk like matter coming out of his eye which is all stuck in his hairs now. I have visited vet and he advised me ATM oral drops in food and betadine on the gunk for disinfection.

I want suggestions, How can I clean out that sticky gunk which is now dry and hardened. Look very bad, and its stuck to hairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Warm washcloth is probably the best way, don't expect to get it all at one time, clean his eyes, maybe 3 times daily. One month is awfully young for him to be away from his mother, wish you the best with him, but be aware that taking them from their mother at that age can lead to behavior issues later, as he gets older.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warm washcloth is probably the best way, don't expect to get it all at one time, clean his eyes, maybe 3 times daily. One month is awfully young for him to be away from his mother, wish you the best with him, but be aware that taking them from their mother at that age can lead to behavior issues later, as he gets older.
Alright,

What kind of behavioral issues?

·
Registered
785 Posts
A course of eye drops, to clear the infection required. Antibiotics.
AND
After washing your hands thoroughly....
Clean saline water (1 teaspoon in a coffee mug of water), warm. Lint free cloth, wipe from eye to away from eye. Use clean cloth for next wipe.

My first dog ever, i got at 4 weeks. (Animal Hoarder scenario).
And yes, it took a while to toilet train it and had no bite inhibition, 2 skills they learn from 4-8 weeks. But no insurmountable issues. Resolved with persistence and patience.

What a cute puppy you have! Congratulations. Whilst it may be early, clearly its found a nice soft landing with you. Enjoy, and take lots of photos.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Here's what we do at the vet hospital to clean up gunky eyes: cotton balls with warm water, hold in place over the eye gunk for 1-2 minutes to rehydrate and loosen everything up, wipe of with cotton balls soaked in DILUTED betadine, betadine is great for disinfecting and safe around the eyes but it must be diluted to a light tea coloration, if there's any gunk that doesn't wipe away then we carefully use a few comb to try and brush it out, if the gunk is exceptionally difficult then we'll shave the area so the skin can heal, talk to your vet about having them shave it if your not able to clean it up with the other methods at home.

A bit curious how you ended up with such a young pup,but as Aspen stated its best to start a new post about that so we don't end up going off topic on this post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A course of eye drops, to clear the infection required. Antibiotics.
AND
After washing your hands thoroughly....
Clean saline water (1 teaspoon in a coffee mug of water), warm. Lint free cloth, wipe from eye to away from eye. Use clean cloth for next wipe.

My first dog ever, i got at 4 weeks. (Animal Hoarder scenario).
And yes, it took a while to toilet train it and had no bite inhibition, 2 skills they learn from 4-8 weeks. But no insurmountable issues. Resolved with persistence and patience.

What a cute puppy you have! Congratulations. Whilst it may be early, clearly its found a nice soft landing with you. Enjoy, and take lots of photos.
Exactly doing what you told, since 3-4 days now. His eye is perfectly fine now, just remaining is gunk in spite gently trying to remove it since.

Well sometimes you have to take in the puppy earlier. I haven't faced any issue though till now, he listens to command and can make out if I am scolding or is Happy. Thank you so much for compliment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what we do at the vet hospital to clean up gunky eyes: cotton balls with warm water, hold in place over the eye gunk for 1-2 minutes to rehydrate and loosen everything up, wipe of with cotton balls soaked in DILUTED betadine, betadine is great for disinfecting and safe around the eyes but it must be diluted to a light tea coloration, if there's any gunk that doesn't wipe away then we carefully use a few comb to try and brush it out, if the gunk is exceptionally difficult then we'll shave the area so the skin can heal, talk to your vet about having them shave it if your not able to clean it up with the other methods at home.

A bit curious how you ended up with such a young pup,but as Aspen stated its best to start a new post about that so we don't end up going off topic on this post.
Well my vet prescribed me betadine as well , and since I am applying it diluted. Now everything seems fine, only problem is Gunk is too hard.

Thanks for a professional solution there, will surely try the wet cotton ball method. I am not pushy about it atm.

Former owner was not a breeder and was eager to give it to me. Thats how I ended up with such an young puppy. But he is happyness. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Wanted some help, I have been applying betadine regularly. The gunk was hard so warm water cotton balls didn't work.

The hairs on affected area are now falling. Is that normal?

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you have not had the vet recheck the eye, definitely schedule an appointment for this. Anytime we see dogs with eye issues the vet recommends rechecking them weekly until the problem is fully resolved. Yes the hair falling out can happen if the skin is severely damaged from the eye discharge sitting on it for so long. In a normal healthy dog it should not fall out, and in an ideal situation the issue would be on the mend before it gets to that point. With the hair falling out you're now at a point that I would recommend talking to your vet about carefully shaving that area and remove all the gunk so the skin can heal and not further irritate the area. Also something to note, since you are using betadine and the hair follicles have been damaged, betadine can have adverse effect on skin cells healing(hence why we dilute it) but this may mean there's a chance that the hair won't grow back the same as it was before. Your vet may be able to do the shave as a tech appointment where you don't see the vet or have an exam done. Ideally though it would be best to have the vet recheck the eye and you can discuss shaving the hair and further cleaning at that point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have not had the vet recheck the eye, definitely schedule an appointment for this. Anytime we see dogs with eye issues the vet recommends rechecking them weekly until the problem is fully resolved. Yes the hair falling out can happen if the skin is severely damaged from the eye discharge sitting on it for so long. In a normal healthy dog it should not fall out, and in an ideal situation the issue would be on the mend before it gets to that point. With the hair falling out you're now at a point that I would recommend talking to your vet about carefully shaving that area and remove all the gunk so the skin can heal and not further irritate the area. Also something to note, since you are using betadine and the hair follicles have been damaged, betadine can have adverse effect on skin cells healing(hence why we dilute it) but this may mean there's a chance that the hair won't grow back the same as it was before. Your vet may be able to do the shave as a tech appointment where you don't see the vet or have an exam done. Ideally though it would be best to have the vet recheck the eye and you can discuss shaving the hair and further cleaning at that point.
Vet checked it some days ago and said the infection is healed now. Although now since yesterday the gunk is taking away hairs with it. Betadine application maybe the cause , so question is they will grow back right ? Or its certain that they won’t?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vet checked it some days ago and said the infection is healed now. Although now since yesterday the gunk is taking away hairs with it. Betadine application maybe the cause , so question is they will grow back right ? Or its certain that they won’t?
Oh and yes the infection is healed btw and there is no new puss or gunk. Whats left dry and hard is what I am takling about.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The hair that has fallen out may or may not grow back normally, no way to know for sure, only time will tell. I would talk to your vet about shaving the area and removing the gunk. The sooner you can get it all cleared off, the sooner the skin and start healing and get better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The hair that has fallen out may or may not grow back normally, no way to know for sure, only time will tell. I would talk to your vet about shaving the area and removing the gunk. The sooner you can get it all cleared off, the sooner the skin and start healing and get better.
Update,

Hairs are growing back, they are small atm but growth seems to be normal. Gunk obviously is all gone with the hairs now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts