Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post here. My parents dogs just had another fight that drew blood so now I'm seeking help.

My parents have two 10 year old Lab's which are brothers.
A yellow lab named Colt, and a black lab named Gauge.

We have had them both since they were no more than a month old.
As puppies, Colt would scarf down his food and then start eating from gauges bowl as well. Now every time we feed them, Gauge will start growling and barking like crazy if me or one of my parents isn't outside by him.
I feel like this is the foundation of their animosity due to Labs great memories.

They have been problematic here and there of the years.
At Least ONCE every couple of months they will get into it with each other. (most of the time they will draw blood in these fights before we can stop it)
At least ONCE a year, they get into a very bad fight which involves expensive vet bills.

I have a feeling this is an "Alpha" thing since most of the really bad fights happen when my dad is out of town. But the worst fight yet happened right in front of both my parents.

*Tonight's Fight*
My mom foolishly placed an empty dog bone box on the floor next to the trash can. Gauge went over to investigate and then Colt started growling and barking at him. Gauge then started growling. Then they started fighting. My mom is horrible at crisis management and started frantically screaming their names at them... I could see them fighting as I ran down the stairs and had to fight the urge not to just jump over the rail. I had to pull them off of each other.
Luckily there were only minor lacerations this time.

I know we should have sought help much sooner, but is there anything that we can do now to lessen/eliminate these fights?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
It sounds like extreme resource guarding, from what you've said.

Think back: do there seem to have been any similar triggers to previous fights? Dogs can also resource guard people and spaces, so consider that too.

·
Registered
917 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts