Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Georgia, my 2 1/2 year old Labrador Retriever limps when she wakes up in the morning and after taking naps. No injury that I'm aware of. I have had her for a little over a year and she is a wonderful happy girl. I noticed the limping about 4 days ago, but I'm not sure if it has been sudden or a gradual onset. It seems to be mainly her front legs and after she stretches a few times it gets much better. She is still running and chasing squirrels on our walks. It seems like symptoms of arthritis. She weighs 75 pounds and our vet said, in the past, that she is at a good weight. I feed her Purina One, I have even thought it could be her food. For 5 months she has been taking phenobarbital 1gr twice a day for mild seizures. She would have a seizure about every 6 weeks. Our vet said, even though they are infrequent, the medication was for her safety, in case she had a seizure when we weren't home, she could fall off the couch or bed. No seizures since the start of the phenobarbital and the vet wants to wean her off after a year. She did have a UTI about a month ago and was treated with Amoxicillin. The vet did mention that she had a huge amount of nitrates in her urine, but may have been from the infection. I wonder if all the nitrates has caused her to have gout(if that's possible in dogs) and or could it be from the dog food? Hoping someone will have some advice for me. I may be an overprotective mother, because I want to take her to the vet for everything :eyeroll: I'm hoping it resolves as quickly as I noticed it. Any advice is welcomed and very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unfortunately labs are pretty prone to joint and knee problems, so it may be that if there's been no injury. My friends lab limps fairly often on a front leg, and has for over a year and he's only 4. For him it's a bad knee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! Makes me feel a little better. If she is still limping, I think I'll take her in for x-rays on Thursday, it seemed to be a little worse this morning, more in her right leg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts