Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to Muzzle Train (Baskerville type) our 3.5 year old dog. Reasons for this are many:

1. So we can visit the vet safely. Right now they have to muzzle her with a cloth muzzle to do any work and we dont like that.

2. So we can visit my brother & his kids. Currently we are not allowed due to Emme's reactivity

3. We can greet new dogs on leash and have good experiences.

4. We can happy and safe experiences at home when guests or my BF are in close proximity

I've put it off for a long time, but after a bad experience over the weekend with my BF, it is time.

Some background on our Dog, Emme. She is from a reputable, outstanding breeder and litter. We have had her since 9 weeks old (she will be 4 in November). She is well trained and socialized and 90% of the time is fine. But there is something wrong in her head and has been there from the start. She has been on 20mg Prozac for 2.5 years. We just upped it to 40mg.

So - Muzzle Training began Saturday. I watched many videos and read a lot before starting.

For two days we have been doing just treats in my palm, with her putting her nose in the Muzzle. She is well trained and very treat motivated so this is no problem.

Then we started playing with the strap around her head as she at treats from the muzzle.

Yesterday (5 days in) - I put the strap around her neck fully and treated her.

This morning (day 6) - I put the strap around her head and did some sits/downs/heeling/go to bed... etc., all with Muzzle on and treating.

We will continue this for another day, and then keep working on her keeping it on longer while doing activities. I'm not sure how long it will take for her to like, take a nap with the muzzle on...

Any other stories to share?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tonight when my BF came down the driveway from work, I got the muzzle out and put it on Emme. Then was deep into treat dispensing when wphe came in, and I had him give her a few very high value treats with the muzzle on. She had it on for a few minutes at least, I am so pleased!!!! he was very hesitant, but it takes some getting used to - seeing the muzzle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I muzzle train all of my dogs! I feel it's something that everyone should do! It's really fun (I'm a nerd like that). My dog lights up when she sees her muzzle. She doesn't need one, but you never know when you'll need one!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's great to read, Pipsmom! How often for how long does she wear it? wa training easy?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Training was super easy! I taught a chin rest first and once she was good at that, then I started feeding through the muzzle. I only closed the strap once she was following the muzzle to keep her face in it. At first, I just closed the strap, gave her food, and then took it off. Then put it back on and then close the strap, feed her food treats. And so on. After she was comfortable to just be sitting or standing with her muzzle on, I asked for her favorite trick and gave her a treat and took it off. I worked from there until she could wear it comfortably for several behaviors.

Make sure that muzzle time = fun and cuddles and tricks and everything. So now, she lights up when she sees her muzzle. We coo over her and tell her how cute her face cage is.

·
Registered
161 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJTucFnmAbw

I found a good video that shows the way I train it! I never watched this one before today, but looked for a good video that illustrated the way I enjoyed training it. Kikopup is a great trainer!

I like feeding the treats after I ask for chin. I have seen dogs get frustrated about taking the treats, but with "chin" it's very easy to keep them calm and in a good position for taking the treats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.