Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a Muzzle for Trucker. I Tried a Baskerville (size 4) it was horrid, he couldn't yawn and he MUST be able to yawn as this is his main self-calming technique. Do you have any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Are you sure the fit was right? If I remember right the Baskerville are basket muzzles and the dogs can pant, drink, and take treats while wearing them

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
we use the metal muzzle from Julius k9.
i like that it is relatively easy to clean and he's able drink and take treats with it.
it also fits well, that it looks a bit more drastic, since I mainly use it to stop people from running to us and touching him when we're training or just want to be left alone. It's a people repellent.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Rain he could drink and take treats be when he yawns he yawns big and he just couldn't do it and that made him start to panic and I knew immediately we were going to have to find something else. I am using this as a people deterrent since people like to walk up to him.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@mathilda I don't care about the harsh or drastic look since the whole reason for it is that people want to walk right up to him because he is BRIGHT RED a color that is not common in Maryland and get in his face which freaks him out. I start yelling at them from like 5ft away and they still don't care, so I am hoping a muzzle with deter them.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@agility collie mom I was actually looking at this but wasn't sure I will order one and try it out.

@Kwenami This was the other style I was looking at, I will probably get both and just do a test with both of them :) thanks for the recommendations.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I am looking at a Greyhound Muzzle from here but have sent them an email about possibly doing a custom version.
Plastic Greyhound Muzzle - DMAC 200 This Muzzle is adjustable for different sizes of greyhounds, light, flexible and durable

I am thinking that this will allow for Trucker to have the most comfort and feel the least confined.
These are essentially the same as the one I have for Koda and its definitely the easiest to condition to. She got a pine cone stuck in it once when she forgot she had it on, and our biggest concerns are it getting caught while she's sniffing and not being able to pick things up. You likely won't need a custom fit, either. I hope you like it!! :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Pinkspore Yeah he is, we tried a size 5 this weekend and still no luck. They are just awkward. He can't even take a treat. I thought I took a picture but I can't find it :(

·
Registered
442 Posts
Have you considered a vest or harness with a big "DO NOT PET" notice? Something like this (random etsy stuff - typed in "dog do not pet" but there are lots of places that make stuff like these)? https://www.etsy.com/listing/222732898/vest-for-25-to-90lb-dogs-please-give-me?ref=market

https://www.etsy.com/listing/195481206/vest-for-25-to-90lb-dogs-do-not-approach?ref=market

Or this?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/83891680/do-not-pet-service-dog-patch-2x4?ref=market

Honestly, I wouldn't put too much stake in people staying away because he's muzzled. I've seen equally many people assume "he can't bite me, so I'll try to make friends", and in some cases, people will also get a little excited/look hard, which may make him more nervous as well. If he may be a bite risk, definitely muzzle to be safe, but there may be better ways to deter people from approaching. People will always feel the need to push the envelope, and lots of people think that because they are "dog people", your fearful animal will like them anyway.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts