Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 year old golden retriever has recently been diagnosed with idiopathic transgeminal neuralgia, and was on prednisone for a couple weeks... The disease cleared up, but then almost overnight his head caved in and his eye sunk in? Its almost like he lost all the muscle in his face. He's happy though and not in any pain, he just looks really funny and his face now resembles a compass with all of the points. I'm just wondering what may have caused this, maybe the prednisone, maybe another disease, maybe not being able to close his mouth for a couple weeks because of the transgeminal neuralgia...? Has this happened to anyone else's dog? Is there anything I can do?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your doggie needs a full medical work up, Look into Masticatory Muscle Myositis. I found that when I was searching for an unrelated issue I had with my dog. But I had searched all areas of facial/skull/bone issues. I would definitely follow up with a good vet tho. Good Luck

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Talk to your vet for sure first.

Understand that if the nerve is damaged the muscle will atrophy. Thats how the body works.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 3 of 3 Posts