Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 10 year old pomeranian who has luxating patella in both knees. He was diagnosed around 2-3 years ago and the vet recommended for him to take Glucosamine. I also mentioned to the vet that I feed my pom a home cooked meal and the vet had suggested i give him vitamins incase he would be missing any from his diet.

His current diet is sweet potatoes, broccoli, green beans, chicken breast, & carrots.

I've only been giving him multivitamins called senior-vite by Nutri-Vet as well as joint medication by PetNaturals.

He recently started limping with his left rear leg and the limping is on and off. I'm suspecting it could be his luxating patella condition or a partially torn ACL since I've researched that dogs with a floating kneecap are more prone to a torn ACL. His limping isn't severe and once hes up and about, he stops limping and walks normally.

He's a 16lb pomeranian which I understand is not the normal standard weight for a pomeranian but I've asked the vet about his weight and the vet has told me his weight is normal. He's not overweight as I don't overfeed him and I take him out for hour walks daily.

Since his limping isn't really getting better and its on and off, I was thinking of giving him fish oil along with the multivitamins and the glucosamine, but I'm afraid the three combined together might be too much for him to handle, or some kind of interaction between the 3 might be bad for him.

I've also taken him to the vet before for limping and they didn't really diagnose anything and just said there were changes in the knee and sent me home to put him on rimadyl. I cut the dosages in half and only put it on him for 3 days as I researched that some dogs have died from rimadyl. He did get better but the limping came back soon after but I still didn't put him back on rimadyl for the fear of something happening to him. I'm not a big fan on putting my dog on medication.

So I was wondering if it would be alright to add in fish oil to help with the limping as well as with the multivitamins and the glucosamine? Of course I give it to him during his meal time since its bad to give it to him on an empty stomach.

Sorry for the long post but any suggestions are appreciated. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm sure others will have more helpful things to say about the whole situation, which I can't really weigh in on. I do want to say though that you need to make sure your fish oil either has Vitamin E already added, or give Vitamin E yourself, as fish oil depletes it. Fish oil definitely helps joints though. I have been giving my older Chihuahua fish oil for years now and she is in great shape, while her brother, owned by someone else, has developed severe arthritis. Obviously there are probably a lot of other factors, but I definitely think fish oil is great to give!

Also, I have known another Chihuahua who has the same thing, and has so from a very young age. When he is thinner, it is a lot easier on his joints and he skips less. More low intensity exercise also helps him. Overall he is a very happy dog despite his knee problems. What his owner does is give him glucosamine in the morning with is morning meal, and fish oil with his evening meal.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I can't really say much for fish oil, as I've never tried that, but from what I've read from you both, I might have to give it a go!

I've got three dogs, Kirby (45# mix) who will be 14 this year, but is getting around pretty good, Tiger (5yo, 70# mix, a bit overweight), with knee problems, and Spicey (3yo, 75# Amer. Staffie) with some rear tendon issues, and I have them all on joint supplement that I found on Amazon. (I also have a review on there, 2nd one down with more info)

Anyway, I've had them all on this supplement for several years now, and it has performed similarly well as the Chondro-Flex that I had them on previously. Kirby is having a harder time getting up from lying down these days with age related stiffness, and I may have to look into upping the dosage I give her, and will likely try that fish oil. Tiger has been on joint supplements since he became adult and started collapsing on his rear end. (A visit to the U of I vet college says he's got rear knee weakness) Spicey has also had zero issues since adding the supplement, though I suspect better food and lots of excersise since rescuing her from the pound has something to do with it also.

Lastly, I've also read that someone on here buys Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements in bulk, and mixes their own specifically for their dogs, which I thought sounded like a great idea too, and may give that a go at some point.

I can see being very careful with such a small dog, as there is a smaller margin of error with their intake as opposed to my larger dogs, where I have a wider range to apply, though it is difficult to OD on supplements of this sort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure others will have more helpful things to say about the whole situation, which I can't really weigh in on. I do want to say though that you need to make sure your fish oil either has Vitamin E already added, or give Vitamin E yourself, as fish oil depletes it. Fish oil definitely helps joints though. I have been giving my older Chihuahua fish oil for years now and she is in great shape, while her brother, owned by someone else, has developed severe arthritis. Obviously there are probably a lot of other factors, but I definitely think fish oil is great to give!

Also, I have known another Chihuahua who has the same thing, and has so from a very young age. When he is thinner, it is a lot easier on his joints and he skips less. More low intensity exercise also helps him. Overall he is a very happy dog despite his knee problems. What his owner does is give him glucosamine in the morning with is morning meal, and fish oil with his evening meal.
Definitely on the vitamin E! I've read a post somewhere where an owner was giving her dog 8 capsules a day and it lead to vitamin E deficiency. Luckily, the multivitamins I give Max come with enough vitamin E to replace the vitamin E that will be lost.

I will definitely try splitting the two into morning and night. Thank you so much for your input :D!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't really say much for fish oil, as I've never tried that, but from what I've read from you both, I might have to give it a go!

I've got three dogs, Kirby (45# mix) who will be 14 this year, but is getting around pretty good, Tiger (5yo, 70# mix, a bit overweight), with knee problems, and Spicey (3yo, 75# Amer. Staffie) with some rear tendon issues, and I have them all on joint supplement that I found on Amazon. (I also have a review on there, 2nd one down with more info)

Anyway, I've had them all on this supplement for several years now, and it has performed similarly well as the Chondro-Flex that I had them on previously. Kirby is having a harder time getting up from lying down these days with age related stiffness, and I may have to look into upping the dosage I give her, and will likely try that fish oil. Tiger has been on joint supplements since he became adult and started collapsing on his rear end. (A visit to the U of I vet college says he's got rear knee weakness) Spicey has also had zero issues since adding the supplement, though I suspect better food and lots of excersise since rescuing her from the pound has something to do with it also.

Lastly, I've also read that someone on here buys Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements in bulk, and mixes their own specifically for their dogs, which I thought sounded like a great idea too, and may give that a go at some point.

I can see being very careful with such a small dog, as there is a smaller margin of error with their intake as opposed to my larger dogs, where I have a wider range to apply, though it is difficult to OD on supplements of this sort.
Yup I've heard that fish oil can do wonders for their joints since it acts as an anti-inflammatory but as the previous poster said vitamin E should be given with fish oil so your pets do not have a vitamin E deficiency which can lead to more problems. Hope all goes well with the fish oil! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much glucosamine are you giving? It could be you just are not giving enough.
I've been giving him the dosage that is instructed on the bag which is 1 chew daily for dogs up to 25lbs. & it says per chew has 375mg of glucosamine as well 200mg of MSM & Chondroitin.

What would be the correct dosage for a 16lb dog? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'm glad that you are giving him a multi vitamin as that homemade diet you have him on is no where near nutritionally correct. I strongly recommend that you contact a vet nutritionist to help you come up with a diet that is, or you can use the Honest Kitchen base mix and just add your own meat. You should have organ meat in his diet, along with something for calcium like ground up egg shells, you should also be rotating the protein, some to include are fish, beef, chicken, turkey, etc. Here's some links that helped me when I started cooking for my dog.
DogAware.com Articles: Homemade Cooked Diets for Dogs
Supplements for Home Cooked Diets - Canine Epilepsy Guardian Angels
Home Cooked Pet Diets,Home Made Recipes And Pet Nutrition

When I had my dog on a joint supplement I kept him on the maximum dose after asking my vet about it and getting his O.K.. That's because when I cut back to the half dose like the package recommended it did not help my dog. Keeping him lean also helped him, I kept him on the lower end of the recommended weight for him. After awhile the supplements weren't enough and I did end up having to give him Rimadyl. It worked great but if it contributed to his appetite loss I'll never know, he was around 17 yrs 5 months when he went on it and the appetite loss was most likely due to sheer old age. If rimadyl helps your dog, and nothing else is working, keep her on it, just keep a good eye out and know the side effects of the medicine so you know what to watch for. Also get a liver test done every 6 months to a year to make sure it's O.K.

Reactions: Jacqui and hueyeats

·
Banned
811 Posts
I know for a fact daily fishoil works wonders for Roman's coat.
Still babysoft.

I also give him Naturemade Triple flex Glucosamine, Calcium Citrate for his joint and bone health... Switched up every other day.
He also on multivite Centrum with heart health every other day or sometimes twice a week... Bear in mind he is human sized.
He also takes his reg. doggie kibbles daily at noon... So vit deficiency is not really my concern.

We also have that cranberry caps for bladder health...
More for me than Roman as he pees whenever he wants on his ever clean deck.
(I am fastidious about scrubbing it every morning when its warm enough out with hot water.)

My secret for him taking pills happily...
Wrap them pills in creamcheese.

Oh and he gets his regular bill of health check and worming done almost everytime we visit the family farm.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
With regards to the fish oil, just be careful the amount of Omega 6 there is in the supplement. Although it is great for skin and coat, it can cause rebound imflammation in the joints. Having said that Omega 3 has an anti-inflammatory effect in the body. Just be wary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 3-year-old 60lb Lab mix has severe hip dysplasia and we have him on an all-in-one joint supplement called "Osteosupport" and Previcox. The supplement has Green-lipped Mussel in it, which is a natural anti-inflammatory and supports joint health. Having an all-in-one is convenient and he seems to be doing well on it.
If the vet saw changes in your dogs knee, did they mean arthritic changes? If so, having him on an NSAID to keep him comfortable is a good idea. If you are weary about medicating him, I would talk to your vet about doing bloodwork to make sure there aren't any kidney/liver changes while on the meds.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I've been giving him the dosage that is instructed on the bag which is 1 chew daily for dogs up to 25lbs. & it says per chew has 375mg of glucosamine as well 200mg of MSM & Chondroitin.

What would be the correct dosage for a 16lb dog? :confused:
I would double the amount, it is water soluble so you don't need to worry about it building up in the system. Check with he vet most will recommend it. It can't hurt and may help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for your replies! I will definitely check with the vet soon as well regarding doubling glucosamine.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts