Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering getting a second dog (albeit in the future - far future) but something that's always concerned me is the actual possibility to love two dogs at the same time, and love them both the same amount. I'm worried that I will either not bond with a new dog and feel more affection towards Cosmo, or that I will form a stronger bond with a new dog and will begin to feel less love towards Cosmo (which is something I can't imagine right now, but it still worries me!)

Do you actually love all of your dogs the same? Did you ever worry about being unable to love them all or provide them all with adequate one on one time and affection? Do you honestly have a favorite dog?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I love them all, but I do love them differently. And yes you could say I have a favorite. Tigger is my pride and joy. He's a heart dog. The bond that we have is unlike anything else with my other two. Idk. I don't feel like my other two are jealous or hold a grudge or anything like that. I still spend time with all of them. But Tigger is definitely special.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Love is not a finite resource, loving another dog will not decrease the love you have for your current one.

Time on the other hand, is a finite resource. Having another dog will likely decrease the 1 on 1 time your current dog gets with you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love them all, but I do love them differently. And yes you could say I have a favorite. Tigger is my pride and joy. He's a heart dog. The bond that we have is unlike anything else with my other two. Idk. I don't feel like my other two are jealous or hold a grudge or anything like that. I still spend time with all of them. But Tigger is definitely special.
I think that sums me up, as well. When I had four dogs, they were all rescues.

they all had their own personalities, so the love for each one was different and sometimes discipline was different because nobody misbehaved in the same way.

One of the rescues was a purebred Rottweiler. They are very intelligent and they own my soul. I always expected more out of him and if I am being honest, I let him get away with more. Beau never took advantage of that.

All of the Big Four have been laid to rest. I have the two Catahoula/mixes in my avatar plus a very senior Lab the neighbors wouldn't keep when they moved.

We have always been the Lab's second home so, rather than see her go to the pound at 12 years old, I volunteered to keep her and, when her time comes, lay her to rest below the barn with all her buds who have gone before her.

They are all loved for their own reasons. Sometimes that appears equal, sometimes it doesn't, lollol

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Heidi is still pretty young, I love both my dogs equally, but as @TiggerBounce said, differently. Levi is older, calmer, and was the original, so he holds a special place in my heart. I have a different excitement when I work with Heidi. She's just different. I love how different she is.

They both have such funny and unique quirks that I couldn't tell you which is my favourite. I love having them both so much, no regrets other than it is harder to split up my training time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No different than having two kids I think. :) you love both to the moon and back... it's just the journey to the moon is slightly different ;)

I'd own a second dog but Raider is a RG'er of me. I cannot pet the neighbours senior golden without him getting upset and they are the best of buddies. I can't work another dog in front of him without him getting upset...and I've tried. I don't have the time to work on it which means I don't have time for a second. I get a little upset about that because I got him as an 8 month old farm dog and his lack of socialization poses some issues for us that I'm sometimes not mentally capable of dealing with (depression) that frustrate me. I would love to have an 8 week old pup and start from scratch with them.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well I love different things about each of them. And while each dog doesn't get absolutely equal time/attention every single day, across time it all evens out.

(It's no secret that Squash is my favorite though. :p )

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I love all of my dogs, but my bonds with them are different. Gracie is fun to hang around, but she's very much all about Gracie. Eva and Erik are like touchstones to me. Eva loves to be held, and it means a lot to me that I get to go home every day and hug her. Erik is the ultimate pooh bear who can make you forget your troubles with his smile. Eva and Erik feel like companions to me in ways that Gracie does not.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I also love them both differently. They have different personalities and are at different stages in their training so I interact with both differently. I still love them both though.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Mia is the favorite. It's pretty shameless to be honest. She is my heart and I don't know that any dog I ever own will live up to her.

My other two are amazing and just what I need. But Mia is the favorite and will always be the favorite. It will gut me when she's gone.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Chess is my favorite, no contest. I can't even point out why, we were just attached at the hip from the moment i got her at 12 weeks old. She's a great dog, well trained, easy to take everywhere and always always wants to be with me. But that's not why I love her so much. I just do. I doubt I will ever love another dog the way I do her.

Reese was a stray and picked me. I love her dearly but admit she's not really the type of dog that I love and would normally pick. She's a total lap dog, not so bright, and doesn't like walking for more than 15 minutes. But she's the sweetest dog I've ever met and I'm glad she found me.

Echo took me a long time to bond with. But now sometimes she's my peace. She's sweet and easy going and relaxed where Chess is an anxious ball of nerves and sometimes that just stresses me out more. She's like the friend that's always there but you never have to talk to.

I don't think favoritism is a bad thing among dogs since they have no idea like a kid would, as long as they are all being cared for. Echo and Reese are just as well physically cared for, and always will be. They get plenty of love and petting too, maybe just not as much one on one time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No different than having two kids I think. :) you love both to the moon and back... it's just the journey to the moon is slightly different ;)
I was going to say something almost identical to what @RaiderBaider stated, so I'm just going to second what she said. :D

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
291 Posts
I love them both, just in different ways and we are at different stages in our relationships. I absolutely have a favorite though. My first dog is my favorite, because he was the first, and because we've spent 3 years and a lot of blood sweat and tears to get the relationship that we have. He is my special boy and he is so sweet and has so much personality.

My puppy is only 7 months, so we are still getting to know each other and figuring things out. She is also much easier than he ever was, which in a funny way makes it harder to bond. But she is a ton of fun and a great puppy and we will develop our own close bond as she grows up.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
572 Posts
I love them both but Vitae drives me batty.
She is most definitely hubbys dog.

He prefers Vitae and she prefers him.

I prefer Manna and vise versa.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you're able to love more than one family member, there's no difference with dogs. You will have a different relationship with every dog you have but still love them all the same. I think sometimes we need to just step back and try not t overanalyze everything. Many times, things just fit with no clear cut way in explaining it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I agree with what others have stated here, that the ability to love is a bottomless well, and I don't think there's any way to love 2 beings exactly the same way or even with the same intensity....but that doesn't mean you pulled love away from another to heap it upon a favorite.

For some reason I always seemed to end up dog pairs where one was quiet and laid back and the other....needed endless attention. On the surface it might appear I loved the more outgoing dog the most...but sometimes, it was the quiet one that pulled my heart strings.

Right now I have Jaya and HaHa. Jaya doesn't want touched, she's fearful of humans. HaHa...geesh...that dog should be bald given how many times he expects to be petted in one day...don't know how the hair hasn't just been rubbed right off him from being petted all the time.

I love them both though.

Jaya makes me feel pride along with the love I have for her. I know she has had to draw on a lot of courage to progress from a feral dog to one that over-came fears and she now even seems to be excited to see me, plus she will let me pet her from time to time without running away.

HaHa makes me laugh...many times through out the day, and he just adores people in general but I can see he has a special affection for me too. He's an easy dog to love.

Stormy

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
I love all of my animals, each for different things. It will definitely be different for each one that you get. Then there's the heart dog. The heart dog is completely different than anything else. That doesn't mean you love the others any less, it's just different.

I do make sure that I spend time with both of my dogs equally, too so I don't show favoritism in that way, either.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I feel kind of guilty here. Jimmy loves me so much, more so than anyone else. He is kind of 'broken' and has a lot of quirks that make him a hard case. He doesn't attach to people or dogs, but he is certainly attached to me. I Got pax this year and he's 8 months old and I've gotten to raise him right with socialization and training, etc. I can take him so many more places without worry, I can do simple things like clean his ears or clip his nails without having to plan a trip to the vet to get sedated.... And while I love Jimmy, Pax has shown me how rewarding having a well balanced, well raised dog can be. I feel bad because I take Pax everywhere, but can't take Jimmy. So in short, I try not to pick favorites, but I feel like I've accidentally done so.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Like others have said - I love all three completely differently from one another.

Basil is my big mellow mush baby who hardly ever makes any trouble. He is food OBSESSED so the counters need to be kept clean and the garbage can lid firmly clipped down but that is really his only misbehaving issue.

Amelia having had kind of a rough start in life views me as her security blanket. So she needs me in ways that the other two don't. Which both delights me and is occasionally exhausting

Coraline is probably the naughtiest puppy that has ever graced the earth. She is constantly in trouble but I am the weirdo that really likes pushy, bratty, opinionated dogs.

They all have such different personalities that there is no way to love them all the same. So they get loved equally but in different ways. I appreciate who they are as themselves instead of trying to compare them to one another.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is one of the many reasons I'm sticking to single dog ownership. Unless I could clone my current dog.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts