Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Patient Of the Discussion:
2 year old rescue dog, Male (Beagle+Pug)+Norwegian Elkhound ~25lbs

Day 1:Our dog started having milky mucus over soft stools for 2 days, one poop each day, they would be very soft and have an odd milky white film/slime/mucus on them.

Although he is an inside dog and carefully watched we assumed he had just gotten into something, and didnt worry too much about it. Although he enjoys eating almost anything and everything he is lucky enough to find lol

Day 3:
This then resulted in rapid very very wet diarrhea for 24 hours, were he would have a few accidents in the house as the onset seemed sudden, and also he would have to urinate very frequently.

Day 4:
We fasted the dog providing only ice cubes and water for 24 hours and this stopped the diarrhea.

Day 5-6:
We switched the pup to boiled chicken and white rice, in a 1:4 ratio and there were no longer any accidents, but he still had two very wet bright yellow stools for two days. We added ~teaspoon of Pepto Bismo and about a table spoon of canned pumpkin. Called the Vet and informed us to see what happens in a few days as there are no signs of pain or blood in the stool and continue with the rice/chicken combo and just make sure he gets plenty of water.

Day 7 (Today):
The pup is back to where we started now with two days of the normal shaped stools, with the white mucus and soft in nature. Should we continue with this path of 1/3-1/2cup of the (chicken, rice, pumpkin, pepto combo) twice a day, feedings 8 hours apart (morning and afternoon)? Other than the issue with his droppings, he is still very energetic, playful, and active on our daily walks. He does not seem to be in any pain or acting lethargic. He seems very happy aside from the poop issue.

Just curious if others have any input or personal experiences they wouldn't mind sharing as well as suggestions.

He is mainly kept inside except for our daily walks (he is usually allowed to play outside but we have a tree that has been dropping berries that make him sick, so he hasnt been allowed out on his own for the past few months), a few days before this happened he snapped up a chicken/bird bone from a grassy yard while on a walk. I immediately pulled it from his mouth before he could chew or swallow it. This is the only thing i can think of that was out of the ordinary.

Sorry for the long intro! Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Remove the pepto it has a little bit of aspirin in it that could be irritating the bowel. Stay with the 1 part chicken the rest rice. If you can go get some Imodium it is much better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove the pepto it has a little bit of aspirin in it that could be irritating the bowel. Stay with the 1 part chicken the rest rice. If you can go get some Imodium it is much better.
Thank you for the info!

Is this a new dog to your home? What are you feeding normally?
Sorry I should have stated he is not new to us. He has been with us for a little over a year now, and he is usually fine unless he steals a plate of food when some unsuspecting guest isnt looking haha Although even then he seems to have a pretty iron clad stomache lol

He has been on the same brand of food for a year (i am spacing on the name right now) and been reacting well to it. When we first got him I made the mistake of using a brand that didnt sit well with him. We both learned our lesson and he has been enjoy his current food without incident for the past year.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
A week is far too long for him to have diarrhea, especially given all you've done to try to fix it. I'd submit a fecal sample to the vet to test for parasites first of all and then I'd have the dog seen by the vet and prescribed some metronidazole/flagyl. The mucus is indicating a colonic problem and irritation so the flagyl helps with inflammation there. If the fecal is negative and there is not a food issue occurring, then a 5 day course should take care of it.

If nothing seems to be working, this could eb the beginning of a food allergy in which case switching to a novel protein diet may help him out.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Pepto bismol has bismuth subsalicylate which is a different salicylate than aspirin. Even if it was the same salicylate, the calcium carbonate in the pepto would buffer it.

Oh, and dittoing the checking in with a vet

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My apologies for not being clear. He didnt have diarrhea for a week straight, Day 1 was mucussy softer stools, Day 3 was the diarrhea carpet bombing, after the fast he had one more day of wet stool (not quite diarrhea), then back to normal poops but soft and with mucus covering.

On Day 5 we called the vet, who then told us to stick with with chicken/rice combo for a few more days and if things didnt improve to bring him in.

Thank you to everyone for all the info and support!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
**UPDATE**

Day 8

This morning we cut the pepto bismo and gave him 1/3 cup of the chicken and rice combo with a table spoon of canned pumpkin. This afternoon on our walk he had what appeared to be a mucus free, firm stool. It was a little orange but this is most likely just from the pumpkin. It was much firmer and didnt leave anything behind when picking it up. So hopefully, fingers crossed we are nearly out of the woods. I gave him another 1/3 cup of the same combo from this morning after our walk this afternoon, and if all continues to stay well i will start integrating his regular dog food into his meal to gradually bring him back to his normal meal.

Oddly enough he got sick the same time i did, and only today did i start feeling 99% better too. Perhaps he's just having sympathy pains lol

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I would wait on adding his food till tomorrow night at least.
Glad to hear he is doing better...I am all involved are a bit more relaxed..:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts