Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Does anyone have any advice on moving with a puppy? I have a six month old shih tzu (had him since he was almost 3 months) who's adjusted perfectly, but now I'm worrying about him regressing when we move to a new house in a few weeks. When we first brought him home, he had some stomach problems for the first couple of weeks and it drove me crazy with worry, but that settled down pretty quickly. Behaviorally, he's always been fine, he was just a little shy at first. In your experience, how much does changing a puppy's surroundings affect him? Everyone who loves him and lives with him now is coming to the new house, so the only change will be where we live. Should I expect more tummy issues or a regression in housetraining? Is there anyway I can make the move easier for him? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Like all dogs I advocate getting a familiar friend to take the dog for the day, or if possible overnight. When you are packing try to do as little as possible "in front" of the dog, for instance, lock the dog in the kitchen and pack your room up, then lock the dog outside or in your bedroom to pack the living room. Act as normal as possible and keep your routine.

The day of the move, send doggy away before you start moving things, especially rugs, furniture and his favorite spots. Set up as much as possible before having doggy come home. Make sure that furniture, it's bedding and any throw rugs are down, this will allow for the biggest "smell factor" to occur. Unpacking around the dog is fine, I would just encourage you to immediately discard or collapse any boxes should the dog think they are play toys to become affectionate with. They will easily absorb smells of clothes so the dog may see them as property.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts