Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever moved say across the country with more than one pet? Our time here on the farm is very slowly but surely drawing to an end. When we move however it will be to Cape Town vicinity, more than 1000 km's away. I have five BC's and four cats and taking them with is not negotiable in my mind. But how in the world does one do it? I cannot physically fit 5 dogs in the canopy of our double cab pickup along with all the inevitable luggage. And four cats in crates and me sharing the back seat is also going to be rather impractical. We do not as this time have two vehicles able to do the journey, otherwise that might have been a solution. I'm thinking maybe to see if I can acquire a good second hand dog trailer, and take the dogs in that.
Has anyone here done anything similar? How did you do it? I am looking at a time frame of roughly one year till the move, so thankfully I have some time to figure it out. Also how do I prepare the Animals for the journey? The farthest most of them have ever been is town, and that's only 30 km's. What type of commands would prove useful to teach? Obviously leash manners would need some improvement. They have leash manners, just not very good ones. What else? What am I missing or am I over thinking the whole thing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You need to be very organized and not a person who panics easily.

I moved three horses, three dogs and one cat clear across the United States twice, five years apart.

1. it would be great if you can buy big dog training crates for the cats. Put the cats in the bed of the truck (the bed needs to have a cap on it) with blankets covering the crates, like you would a bird cage.

Use two crates for two cats each. Tie their food bowls and litter box to the crates so nothing slides. Give them water bowls at night, take them away just before you get on the road the next day.

Start working with your dogs to go potty on command, on a leash. I had a Rottweiler, a Lab/Sharpei, and a Beagle/mix. They would all go on command before the move.

However, My dogs were in two vehicles. The Rottweiler stayed with me; I was pulling the horse trailer. The other two rode in another truck that was pulling a car.

My dogs and horses were vetted and had health certs within 30 days of the trip. The cat did not but she was under wraps in the Rottweiler's crate, in the bed of my truck.

If you can't see your way to a second vehicle by moving time, I would look into the purchase of the nicest and roomiest dog trailer you can afford.

You might be able to switch the dogs from inside the vehicle to the trailer on alternating days, or pick the best traveling dogs and keep them in the truck the entire time.

Only one vehicle is holding you back some but it can be done, even if you have to sacrifice some of your things to make room for the dogs:)

As far as overnight stays, Imthink the world is a lot friendlier toward dogs these days. I always asked for a room at the back of the motel and preferably on the ground floor, lol

The cat was always fed and watered in the dog crate. I never let her out of the crate until we reached our destination and I could safely put her in the new house AFTER everything was moved in. Or put your cats in a spare bedroom and keep the door closed until the excitement dies down.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I did it. With a 26' moving truck. No way is it possible with a pick up truck unless you have a trailer. You can get a car dolly with a moving truck.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Well just calculated the distance Jessie moving 18,481 km by plane 28th April! then myself 1st may NZ time!

main advice i can give you is

Check where your moving to if the pets need any further vaccines
Research area going to live, and vets
research training clubs
Make sure crates are big enough and how are you going to transport the pets? get a quote how much cost to fly vs the drive because will you have enough room to transport them all by car?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankfully we're staying within the same country, but it's moving just over 1100km's. From the semi desert Northern Cape to the Western Cape. I will find out what it will cost me to have the animals flown down, but my concerns are that the dogs are not the most social bunch and one of the cats might as well be a dust mite as often as she makes an appearance. It might be more stressful for them to fly down than to do the trip by vehicle. The nearest airport is anyway over 200km's away so at least some amount of the trip will have to be done by road. And since they have never done kennels in their lives I don't know how that will work out. Its 10 hours at least by road, but only an hour by plane, they will have to be kenneled for a significant few hours till we can come get them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh the pickup is a bit small for the dogs, cats, humans and luggage, hence me thinking of a dog trailer. Three humans, 5 BC's and four cats all have to make this trip. One cat has done it before, in the "?good old days" when the dog was a small white fluffy Maltese type and the cats were only two, they went with us on holiday. Mainly to Cape Town And PE where we/the family have Holiday homes. That unfortunately ended with the move to the farm. But now we'll be leaving the farm forever , and I am not willing to leave my pets behind.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I literally just did something similar with my one dog. I don't envy you!

I'd honestly see how much renting a SUV or similar vehicle would be. You can load it up with luggage and take the pets in your personal car. Or vice versa. I imagine it will cost lest than a dog trailer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You have a pickup? Look at the cost of just getting a used camper shell to gain the secure space you need. Throw a pad down and all the dogs in the back, cats in the cab and luggage strapped to the roof of the camper shell. Probably cheaper than paying to transport all the animals or renting a vehicle.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pickup has a canopy, so if possible the dogs will go in there. The 4 cats and me will just have to share the backseat (double cab pickup) and the luggage we hope will fit into the little venter trailer we have. We'll just have to send as much as possible with the movers vans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts