Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving from Australia to Europe with our dog (2year old greyhound). Unfortunately we have to do so in December which means going from very hot summer to very cold winter (probably even snow which he has never seen). Is there anything we can do to help him prepare and adapt to the change? Apart from the obvious - getting him a really thick sweater to wear. Maybe food supplements or something? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
We are moving from Australia to Europe with our dog (2year old greyhound). Unfortunately we have to do so in December which means going from very hot summer to very cold winter (probably even snow which he has never seen). Is there anything we can do to help him prepare and adapt to the change? Apart from the obvious - getting him a really thick sweater to wear. Maybe food supplements or something? Thank you!
I can't imagine double-checking his diet to make sure it's top notch would hurt anything. Check out Dog Food Advisor. As long as he's on a great kibble or raw diet that'll probably do him good all around :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Assuming you're not just going to toss him out into the cold yard then he'll probably be fine. Get him a coat if he needs it, don't bring him out for too long until he's used to it, those sorts of things. Make sure he's in good health, and I wouldn't worry about looking for any sort of supplement.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
I'd get him a jacket and leave it at that. I've seen snoods for greyhounds, too, which might be worth looking into.

You'll probably want to keep the heat a bit warm to start with for your own transitional needs, but most of Europe isn't that bad compared to where I am in Canada, just wetter. I would plan for waterproof gear over warm gear.

Also, you might want to add something warm to his crate. I know that dogs don't always get treated the best on airlines and you can't always leave them behind, so I would work on making that as comfortable as possible on him. Anticipate him getting put with luggage-no noise or temp control, so it'll be really cold or hot, and LOUD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.