Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found out a few hours ago that we're being transferred to ALASKA. Anchorage, specifically. Literally one extreme to the other! Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my 3 dogs from here to there in the least stressful way possible. They are all larger dogs (65lb and two 50lbs) and will need to fly cargo. I'm looking at United PetSafe, which is how we got Ginger here from Orlando, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any easier way.

When we shipped Ginger here, her flight was ridiculously long, as they took her from Orlando to Jersey, had a layover and a plane delay, then to PR. She was in her kennel for 14 hours for what's normally a 3 hour flight. It was during the summer months and was the only option, but I'd like to minimize her stress as she'll be 14 and I don't want her to worry. Luckily, she's a healthy, low key girl and lived in Alaska when she was younger. My other 2 are higher anxiety, so this'll be interesting...How well do southern dogs acclimate to snow? How well do Florida girls acclimate to snow?? lol I've never even seen it, and I'm a little nervous, so I'm sorry if I'm rambling! Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Reactions: Tasha7712

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello from interior Alaska :). I don't have any experience with shipping pets, but I do have first-hand knowledge of Alaska. It will be a big transition, but fortunately Anchorage has a pretty mild climate. It doesn't get nearly as cold as the interior.

Your dogs that haven't seen snow before might be a bit confused/worried at first, but I'm sure they will soon get used to it. Pet stores here sell doggy coats and boots.

I hope your move goes smoothly!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great links! Those are a huge help. The only issue I may have with Alaska Air is they don't fly to PR, and they don't transfer dogs from other airlines to theirs, so we would have to be whereever we send them to pick them up from one cargo area and bring them to the next area. And I know that getting them BACK in a plane after they see us will be impossible! Hopefully something works out with those links though!

Hello from interior Alaska :). I don't have any experience with shipping pets, but I do have first-hand knowledge of Alaska. It will be a big transition, but fortunately Anchorage has a pretty mild climate. It doesn't get nearly as cold as the interior.

Your dogs that haven't seen snow before might be a bit confused/worried at first, but I'm sure they will soon get used to it. Pet stores here sell doggy coats and boots.

I hope your move goes smoothly!
Thanks! I've been researching the best coats and boots for them, so that should work out with buying them once we get there!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Let me give u one advice about moving to Alaska. DONT believe in the reality shows they portray in and around alaska on television. What they show is just the fantasy part, but not the reality part. Alaska is beautiful in some parts, but its not all what it's cut out to be on television. A lot of us laugh at the reality shows about alaska because WE were born and raised here. Those shows are true entertainment for us. Most of those shows are fakes, but a very select few are actually real or close. (The Alaskan bush people show are fakes) they don't even live in alaska, they live around the Seattle Washington area.

Now, that that's been said, I don't think you need to worry about dog boots. I would only use them if you are going hiking, but a simple walk outside to do their business? Not needed.

Sweaters and coats are a personal choice in my opinion in anchorage. Now if you lived where I lived I would recommend going as far as a full body suit, but anchorage? Not as much.

As for jet rides? Alaska airlines have partner airlines you can check up on. I know horizon air and delta air are partners. I will tell you this though. If you come here during our winter months, expect delays and cancellations. In my opinion because of that I would wait until spring/summer to bring ur dogs if you can. It is rare to get extremely hot here ( but it does happen) so a jet ride shouldn't be much of a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Well, alaska the last frontrier is pretty much close however they are not really 'sucluded' as portrade in the show. They do have I think three markets where they can get flour, yeast, ect but the struggles are pretty much the same especially those who live around the bethel area. Many of the smaller villagers are really living off the land. Many can't seem to get enough money to even heat their homes so a lot of the homes in the villages have firestoves/places.

Another good one is up in unalakleet with the show called flying wild alaska I know one of the girls in that show as I used to go to summer camp up in unalakleet when I was younger. Even some of the people who appear on that show I've become friends with. ERA aviation used to be the only airlines we had that traveled to the surrounding villages and later they paired up with alaska airlines and after some time, they split. Now alaska airlines is its own company. Since then other aviation's joined in the travel to and from villages. And if you take one of those aviation's to anchorage you will be on the small jet with no bathroom for a good 2 to 2 and half hours vs 45 to 1 and a half hours with alaska airlines.

Oh yes, they really do deliver food you order from a nearby village or town by plane, but you have to pay delivery charges ontop of paying for the food. (I imagine they take the payment with debit/credit card over the phone, but don't quote me on that as I don't really know.)

Those are the ones on the top of my mind right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
172 Posts
Now, that that's been said, I don't think you need to worry about dog boots. I would only use them if you are going hiking, but a simple walk outside to do their business? Not needed.

Sweaters and coats are a personal choice in my opinion in anchorage. Now if you lived where I lived I would recommend going as far as a full body suit, but anchorage? Not as much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, in reality people don't use dog coats/boots much up here (the exception being for dogs with really short hair, especially those that are small). Basically the only people who use dog booties are mushers/skijorers whose dogs are running outside for long periods. But they are available for those who think they're necessary.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for jet rides? Alaska airlines have partner airlines you can check up on. I know horizon air and delta air are partners. I will tell you this though. If you come here during our winter months, expect delays and cancellations. In my opinion because of that I would wait until spring/summer to bring ur dogs if you can. It is rare to get extremely hot here ( but it does happen) so a jet ride shouldn't be much of a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
The partner info was good to know, but none leave out of PR. I may end up using United PetSafe from PR to wherever I can get a direct flight for them, and we'll meet them there, then possibly stay a day in a hotel to give them a break, and then get them on Alaska Air (which doesn't leave out of PR either) for the rest of the journey. I just am not sure if that'll be in their best interest to see us, have a break, but then get back in the crate and fly all over again. I'm also looking at Houston Airport which has in-airport boarding, so they can have a break but not see us and get all excited that they're free of the stress of travel, but then get right back in. So many decisions. We're flying out at the end of May, so I feel like United HAS to be our way off PR as it's the only one that has climate controlled cargo, while the others regularly cancel flights if the temp here is above 85 and it's the Carribean, so that's not a risk we can take.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wanted to update this as we're finally getting all the plans finalized! The pups are flying out May 29 on United. I'm a bit worried as our flight is a couple days later due to scheduling issues. Their first leg is 5 hours 10 min to Chicago, then then have an overnight stay at the kennel in the airport. Then the next day, they go direct from Chicago to Anchorage, a 7 hour 15 min flight. They're getting picked up by a kennel in Anchorage, where they'll stay for 2 nights since we get in pretty late. Luckily I found a house (with a HUGE fenced yard!) and we're looking good to move directly in, instead of living in a hotel for weeks. So we should be able to check in, get the keys, grab some groceries and essentials, and then go pick the babies up and work on getting them settled to minimize the transitions. Here's hoping things go okay!

Reactions: piano88

·
Registered
223 Posts
That sounds like a really good plan! I hope everything goes smoothly. If you don't mind me asking, is it terribly expensive to transfer your dogs? With the flights and kennel expenses? Just curious.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds like a really good plan! I hope everything goes smoothly. If you don't mind me asking, is it terribly expensive to transfer your dogs? With the flights and kennel expenses? Just curious.
I don't mind at all! It is pretty costly. :eek: We're spending almost $2k to ship them. Since they're all larger (50-65lb) dogs, their kennels were ~$100 each (but we had Ginger's still since we brought her to the island with us) then the flights are around $400 each. Another $250 total for the airport kennel (1 NIGHT!!) and then around $250 for the Anchorage boarder since she's doing an after hours airport pickup + 2 nights boarding.

When we rescued Roxy, we were told by our old vet that she was part Chihuahua, and we were stoked to have an easily portable dog we could keep on the flight with us. Yeah...not so much now that she's 50 pounds. But hey, they're full of love and were saved from the street, so they're worth anything. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Tasha, thanks for sharing. Of course our dogs are priceless and, just like you, I'd pay anything to bring mine with me. I was just curious as to the cost because my husband and I are considering a major relocation in the next couple years. I was sure it wasn't cheap!

I hope all goes well! Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hope everything goes well for everyone. I am sure you will be worried until you are all back together again. My friend moved her Rottie from MI to Australia over a period of 3 days in a similar fashion and though he was obviously a little stressed, he did well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
As a note, there's an Massachusetts rescue that came up when I searched for my dog (it's a good distance from me, but still "on my radar" so to speak) that primary took Mexican street dogs and rehomed them in MA.

Many people asked how a dog from Mexico would survive a harsh New England winter and the answer was that dogs, especially ones over 40/50 lbs often adapted quite well, grew thicker coats and in general had a blast in the snow. Some struggled a bit during the wet, cold rainy weather as they had been street dogs but for the most part they were good.

My dog (German Shepard x Basenji) was in an NYC shelter for 1.5 years and according to the shelter she was moved to had never been acquainted with snow. Shortly after I adopted her (like 3 days) I had to drive 300 miles home from my parents in the middle of a raging snow storm. She was a bit reserved and anxious but took wonderfully to the snow. She dropped her entire coat within a week (yay me) and grew in a nice thick one. The biggest thing that took a year or so for her to do was to grow the hair in her paws. Now I have to trim it as it gets out of control...but dogs really do adapt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the happy thoughts! We had our movers come on Tuesday, and have been camping out in our house. It seems to help that even though our stuff is gone, they're still "home" so the adjustment hasn't been too bad so far. Rico is a little more reactive to noises, which makes the girls more reactive as well, but things are louder in the house in general with no furniture to muffle sounds. but so far, so good! We move into a furnished guest house in a week and a half, and my cousin and my friend (that rescued Rico off the street as a puppy) will both be staying with us, so that should help keep them all fairly calm. But man, I'm exhausted with all the prepping for this move!

Reactions: piano88

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
We moved from Mexico to Oregon about 9 years ago. I know not as extreme but the first year we were here it snowed for days, very unusual in Portland area. My dogs loved it. They rolled and ran their selves crazy throughout the snow. I had to get my hound a jacket because he kept shivering if we were out to long on our walks. The dog we rescued from Mexico did great but she has a much heavier coat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Arrrfgh. Well, it's move week! Yesterday we moved into a temporary house that was SUPPOSED to have a fenced backyard, but surprise, it doesn't. Rico did okay last night, as did the girls, but today he's having a rough day and is super stressed. We back up to a playground and there have been screaming kids all day long.

And I just got a call from United Cargo that the flights I've had booked for over a month are now cancelled and needed to be rescheduled because they are apparently closed on Memorial Day. And NONE of them realized that until the week of. I'm absolutely LIVID. they can only get them in 2 days earlier, but the kennel in AK is extremely booked for the holiday and she doesn't have a room for them. She can try putting them all 3 together in one of the playrooms at night, but I'm very worried about Rico over-stressing Ginger. When he's nervous, he gives her excessive kisses. She generally doesn't mind, but does have her limits and that's when we are there to referee. With such a high stress situation, I'm pretty much freaking out but don't see any alternative.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts