Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am moving to the UK from the USA and Billy is coming with me.

Has anyone done this with their dog? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated - although no bad stories please as I am starting to have nightmares about what could go wrong already!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Last year we moved my husband's dog FROM the UK (where my husband was living) TO the US. It required some planning, but was not as difficult as we feared it would be. I think it is more difficult to go from the US to the UK because the UK has stricter guidelines about vaccinations and such. Make sure you research what vaccinations he will need before you go and when they need to be administered. I seem to remember that the UK not only required certain vaccinations, but required them within a certain time period relative to your date of travel if you want to avoid quarantine. In other words, it requires some planning. Also, most airlines will not allow animals to travel in cargo during the summer months. It is too dangerous.

Getting him there will be the hard part. Dogs are amazingly adaptable and he should be fine once he's there. My husband's dog settled in right away, and has become so Americanized that my husband has to use an American accent for some commands or he doesn't understand him!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He has had all of the jabs, blood tests etc. And yes, it is a complete nightmare getting it all done at the right time. You have to start it all at least 10 months before you plan on flying with them - unless of course you really want your dog to spend 6 months in quarantine!! He is flying BA in mid August - although they do not recommend flying when the ground temp is above 85. We have got around that by flying late at night, attaching a fan to his crate and explaining that he is at present living in the Mojave, where temps barely go under 85.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
If I remember correctly from dealing with tons of health certificates to move and travel to other countries is we are one in very few countries with rabies issues and that is why its such a pain. There are some countries that still require up to a year in quarantine when the pet arrives just to make sure it is healthy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts