Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So following on from this thread http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/emigrating-moving-uk-dogs-probably-243721/ oh wow i have to tell you all its all going ahead the moving to Carlisle in UK! (Jessie dad and i) oh wow its getting so real!

on Saturday sat down with parents (been having awful tension headaches with all the stress trying to match flights with Jessie's not knowing a date etc) anyway chose may but only because in march internet and phone contract ends, April sky TV and mobile contract! so may is perfect i forgot in may in UK its nice weather which means i get 2 summers LOL!

Here is whats organized so far

• going to venturepet on wed 11am - 12pm to pay deposit, size Jessie for crate, get all paperwork and what need to do before she fly and also ask questions so we are clear about everything.
  • Saturday booking dad and i are going to book our flights!
  • 3 months prior to moving Jessie gets booked in for flights officially as cargo has different time frames to book compared to passengers.
  • Got raw supplier lined up, who i want to use and need to order 2 weeks prior to Jess flying.
  • Jess fly day or two before dad and i otherwise be too upsetting and stressful on the day to sort Jessie out and then check in ourselves plus there's 2 hour wait when she arrives. So mum will meet Jessie at Manchester airport when she arrives :)
  • Jessie vaccines are due in Feb getting her covered for everything including lepto
  • Rabies vaccine will be done end march/beginning April so has 21 + days prior to flying and time to work.
  • Mum sorting accommodation out but i do have to live with parents for short time as does Jessie
What i need to sort out now is these:

• What vets cover what areas in Carlisle Uk and wont put me down for raw feeding, be understanding and good with Jessie.
  • Medical centre for myself
  • Get national insurance number , bank account number , take habitual residency test, get benefits and under go assessments for help when i get there.
  • Travel insurance
  • where to deliver raw food to, and how long prior to Jess getting there to order it.
  • What training classes are there in Carlisle?
Have i missed anything out? at least where Jessie is concerned? pet passport = vaccine book i got told?

Reactions: Arwen

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Wow this is awesome @crazy

Most stuff I can't help with but if you look up the IMDT they'll have a search engine to find a trainer close to you, very qualified people! Same with the Pet Professional Guild :)

Who'd you go with for raw?

Your not far from me at all it's so weird haha!

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow this is awesome @crazy

Most stuff I can't help with but if you look up the IMDT they'll have a search engine to find a trainer close to you, very qualified people! Same with the Pet Professional Guild :)

Who'd you go with for raw?

Your not far from me at all it's so weird haha!
Hey

wow fast reply! It is but I'm scared too! i will sure look up that thanks! all i found so far is behaviorists! Going to contact paleo ridge raw but closer to the time look at durham too. Considering putting her on dry food for a week but not much choice, if she gets pimples on dry turkey neck she will have a reaction right? so @Rain and i have been discussing Jessie's diet and needs and agree its better to order the raw before she gets there.

No idea what suburbs are in Carisle so still doing homework there! also mum has to find somewhere first so i know the address!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hey

wow fast reply! It is but I'm scared too! i will sure look up that thanks! all i found so far is behaviorists! Going to contact paleo ridge raw but closer to the time look at durham too. Considering putting her on dry food for a week but not much choice, if she gets pimples on dry turkey neck she will have a reaction right? so @Rain and i have been discussing Jessie's diet and needs and agree its better to order the raw before she gets there.

No idea what suburbs are in Carisle so still doing homework there! also mum has to find somewhere first so i know the address!
Saw the title and had to reply haha!

You'll be able to do a lot more in depth research on trainers etc knowing it's all actually happening and where your gonna be.

Awesome I've heard good things from paleo ridge and Durham were great when I dealt with them. There's also Manifold Valley Meats so you have plenty of choice. These companies are great with delivery so ordering before hand will be a piece of cake!

By close I mean within a two hours drive haha, your just at the border so not far at all, probably less than 2 hours actually!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I know you'll get her diet straightened out. I just really wish that there was a pure meat, freeze dried, option that you could get her for the plane trip. All the ones that I've looked up have had fruit and vegetables in them and I know that's not good for Jessie.

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saw the title and had to reply haha!

You'll be able to do a lot more in depth research on trainers etc knowing it's all actually happening and where your gonna be.

Awesome I've heard good things from paleo ridge and Durham were great when I dealt with them. There's also Manifold Valley Meats so you have plenty of choice. These companies are great with delivery so ordering before hand will be a piece of cake!

By close I mean within a two hours drive haha, your just at the border so not far at all, probably less than 2 hours actually!
Lol I don't blame you was very surprised response so soon though but happy.

Haven't heard of that other company you mentioned will check em out when home and got laptop. Will they do Internet consults with what meats will be in season and help work out timetable for when feed organs etc? No good with maths.

That be good close to you. Once mum gets a place by may will have an address for delivery etc. Frustrating can't organize things online for 99% things got to be in country for.

at least sorting out flights for dad snd I and securing jess place and crate though atm. $3050 to fly her which 3x cost my flight alone. She worth it though.
I know you'll get her diet straightened out. I just really wish that there was a pure meat, freeze dried, option that you could get her for the plane trip. All the ones that I've looked up have had fruit and vegetables in them and I know that's not good for Jessie.
Ziwipeak is air-dried but they said no raw food allowed I assume that include ziwipeak. Will find out.

yeah lots of raw food is BARF which includes veges. Jess needs prey model eaw. It sucks and makes it harder but this dog truly worth it. Thanks for looking though truly appreciate it. If you Google raw dog food nz probably get ziwipeak and k9 natural or frozen prey model raw which can't take. K9 natural she was on and its how we found out fruit and veg upset her urine.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So been to venturepet! Lovely staff! here is what we did there

• Introduced ourselves and Jessie
  • Sized Jessie for crates and decided which is best
  • asked questions, got answered and re assured
  • got told they spray adaptil 20 min in crate 20 mins prior to keep dog calm for 4 hours and reassure the dog.
  • Got given forms to fill in and to give to vet
  • Got advised to ask vet to put last year vaccine in her old book (had lost it! so explained that)
  • Can have toys in the crate and something that smells of me in there as she has plenty of space seriously!
  • Learnt Jessie has to fly 5 days before dad and i so she is put down as non commercial as long as we arrive within 5 days and mum picks Jessie up on arrival all good otherwise pay 55 pounds for something cant remember what that was!
So dad and i book our flights Saturday so its possible Jess fly end of April if dad and i fly 3rd may! oh no I'm going to seriously miss her and be really anxious what if something goes wrong? though got reassured the dogs are mostly fine and not tranquilizers allowed as slows heart rate too much in cargo.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've dates for the move!

Okay this is tad confusing so will try make it simple as possible!

Jessie has to fly up to 5 days before i fly so she is going to fly on the 28th April 2016 (yes be anxious about all this and no Jessie is going to be tough!)

I fly Sunday 1st may!!! (so arrive 3 days within 5 day period)

Now This is her schedule for vaccines, worming, rabies vacine!

Saturday 13th feb 2016 Usual vaccines (not lepto) $139?
Then

4Apr – take to vet to complete the Supporting Declaration form (email VenturePet completed form)(will do rabies then please which is $90 this covers the 3 week prior to flying visit too)

26Apr – take to vet for worm treatment (email VenturePet completed worm form) and give anti nausea we want to be on safe side without her vomiting it up.

28Apr 12.30pm – bring Jessie to VenturePet (with original vaccination book, original completed Supporting Declaration, original completed worm form)

28Apr -
-fly Wellington/Melbourne QF172 1535/17356,
Melbourne/Dubai QF9 2255/0705+1 29Apr 7.05am – arrive Dubai 29Apr – fly Dubai/Manchester EK19 1435/1915 29Apr 7.15pm – arrive Manchester

Reactions: cos

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So Jess is pretty much sorted till feb onwards even got copies of the letters from insurance company how much we claimed and what for :) Dr mike the vet has done his research on what he needs to do and fill out prior to her leaving. he is very sad to know she is moving all the way over there to uk and so are others.

ive to go through my books sell some keep some. Biggest job of all is my bedroom going through it all what to keep recycling etc. kitchen and under stairs storage and bathroom be piece of cake compared to my bedroom lol.

Going to have to post Jessie bed and toys sooner then thought as mid april all my stuff be shipped and wont have for 3 months! holy moly! lots to do still but got majority of things sorted out. Even a vet lined up!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
btw her journey is 38.5 hours long including layovers and flights!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
parents paid the deposit :) now we can get the crate so i can go and get it fitted properly for a crate mat as the measurements got given make no sense at all

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trying to do a list of what not to let the movers take that i will need for the next 3 months(april onwards) anyone got any ideas for both of us this is?

Obviously she will want her soft bed but what about her waterproof one?
i know she will need grooming tools and kit

but what else am i missing?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So its now 3 months and 16 days till i move to UK! mum is actively looking for a place in penrith and Carlisle! just got Jessies crate bedding for her crate fitted today! now to somehow save up for frontline the most expensive flea treatment *rolls eyes* as they only allow frontline!

Thankfully all NZ microchips are ISO standard so no need to be re microchipped! heard the needles are 2.5 x the size of vaccine needles so no thanks did i want Jess to go through that awake since she got microchipped while knocked out for spay!

ive mostly done sorting out what taking just to clear pantry and kitchen cupboards out!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
few pics of crate kitted out with new crate mat and her pink oversized blanket thrown in for tonight :) Just need a toy in there for when flies in it! depends which toy she chooses as favourite

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
wow, great you are so organised! i had a quick look, you will live quite far away from me, about 3 hours drive...shame. looks a nice town though where you will be living. i hope you settle in quickly! :)

we moved a doggy once from germany to the uk, and she had to go into quarantine for 6 month back then due to rabis laws... that wasnt nice at all. has jessie got a doggy passport?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow, great you are so organised! i had a quick look, you will live quite far away from me, about 3 hours drive...shame. looks a nice town though where you will be living. i hope you settle in quickly! :)

we moved a doggy once from germany to the uk, and she had to go into quarantine for 6 month back then due to rabis laws... that wasnt nice at all. has jessie got a doggy passport?
Lol your not only one to comment/compliment me on being so irganised. Truthfully when first found out where mum was applying for a job I did heaps research into Carlisle and Penrith areas what support can get what benefits etc. In September visited a friend in palmerston north and dad emailed me re venture pet. So got quote for moving/flying Jessie etc. Flights booked in November too. By November had flights booked, venture pet organised and much more.

And truthfully didn't think id be so organised ive shocked myself at how organised I am though had to take mind off waiting for secret Santa parcel to come helped me go through things. Got Jessie organised before myself though even had her appointment for annual vaccines rabies vaccine and worming booked by end November.

Crate bedding I had saved for and was badly needed as jess wasn't comfy and woke me twice a night in the airline crate and was very old and thin.

Few days ago venture pet replied to my questions via email and told them apart from getting her bedding and frontline all ready is Jessie. Came back reply was you are very organised J. Said organising Jessie was more important then myself so no last minute worries or panic. :)

Best to be so organised then stress and panic which either brings on non epileptic seizures or my tonic clonic seizures. More the non epileptic ones and constant daily headache that don't go away from stress. Need to avoid that you see. Also keen to move.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So not been 24 hours since found out about my gran getting out bed and falling flat on face turns out hee heart keeps stopping making her faint/fall it misses some beats then ok again where she comes right. Her carer my aunt hired to make her breakfast found her out cold face down who called ambulance. She fainted few more times as heart missed few beats each time before back to normal.

She in hospital a few days to keep eye on run tests etc. Seen pic she looks awful blood and bruises. .. pale/grey.

With this happen might need to move a lot sooner so vet ordered rabies vaccine soon as it arrives having both rabies and annual vaccine done at once. Dad going to either help pay for pack of frontline or pay the $50.93 I'm short. Told dad will pay rest off with payment plan if he can help me pay for frontline which seems happy with.

this way if we need to move alot sooner jess can fly 21 days after vaccines and be easier overall. Probably over reacting by doing it this way but its best get over and done with just incase. Hopefully gran doesn't pull the plug on her life anytime soon.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UGH its so stressful! so with gran stil in hospital Jessie got the rabies and annual vaccine only i cant find her vaccine book which is her passport! Luckily i had to scan all her past vaccines for doggy day care for when staying there when brother got married so printed it out for vet

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So i did a letter for the landlords considering dogs and it did the trick! here is what i put

Date: 25th January 2016
Dear Landlord,
My Name is Janine (surname) , I am writing to you as of 2nd may 2016 I arrive/move back to the UK to live with my mum Christina (surname) and I also have a little shih tzu x Australian terrier called Jessie who is 3 years old. She is also my guardian and emotional support dog on an ongoing daily basis for my disabilities. My GP is in support of this request and if requested will do a letter of support regarding this.

Jessie is a small dog who is fully house trained and crate trained, well behaved, a very lovable, caring, respectful dog that doesn’t shed, chew or destroy anything. She also gets groomed daily by me and every 6-8 weeks by professional groomer. She has attended formal training classes that use only positive reinforcement from puppy pre-school to canine good citizen foundation and to this day continues to go training classes regularly. She also knows many tricks.

I can assure you if going out and no one will be home she will be in her crate till i return or one of my parents return home. This dog is very well cared for, happy playful loved dog who would make less mess then any children would make. My parents are also my previous landlords who kept high standards for the property I leased off them with this dog.
Please seriously consider letting the property to my parents who are professionals with very high standards of cleanliness.
Thank you for your time and please see attached photos of Jessie with this letter.

Janine

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts