Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for any advice available. I have a 1.5 yr old labrador retriever/bernese Mountain female (she's ~92 lbs) that loves the water. Generally I'm not swimming with her because the water is shallow enough we can both touch or we're playing fetch but the other day, when we were both swimming/I was wading, she consistently would stay in my space, mouth my hands an pull (not enough to mark but cause discomfort). She's a generally good swimmer so I don't feel it was panic driven but it's definitely behaviour I need to break. She's scratched me significantly (albeit her nails were due for a clipping) and the mouthing will be misinterpreted by friends if this behaviour extends beyond myself.

Does anyone else's dog do this? What's the logic behind it? I couldn't really find anything on the internet about it. She can be mouthy on land which I'm working on but never this frequently or repetitive. I felt like she may have been trying to get me to come to shore (which I ended up doing anyways) but how do I break this behaviour? Would a life jacket help potentially?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for any advice available. I have a 1.5 yr old labrador retriever/bernese Mountain female (she's ~92 lbs) that loves the water. Generally I'm not swimming with her because the water is shallow enough we can both touch or we're playing fetch but the other day, when we were both swimming/I was wading, she consistently would stay in my space, mouth my hands an pull (not enough to mark but cause discomfort). She's a generally good swimmer so I don't feel it was panic driven but it's definitely behaviour I need to break. She's scratched me significantly (albeit her nails were due for a clipping) and the mouthing will be misinterpreted by friends if this behaviour extends beyond myself.

Does anyone else's dog do this? What's the logic behind it? I couldn't really find anything on the internet about it. She can be mouthy on land which I'm working on but never this frequently or repetitive. I felt like she may have been trying to get me to come to shore (which I ended up doing anyways) but how do I break this behaviour? Would a life jacket help potentially?
Maybe she was just doing what she was bred to do - retrieve you from the water - lol! :) or maybe she thought it was odd to see you in the water and thought you needed saving, because you don't belong there -- only her toys do. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.