Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dog. A Maltese her name was Daisy and she was 14 years old. She was on 4-5 pill medications, the highest dosage. 1-2 liquid medications. For the past year or more she had been having coughing breathing issues. That was due to a collapsed trachea. the heart had grown so much it was pushing against the trachea. She did well with medication, coughing occasionally. Over time we took her for visits and I think the heart grew more. Taking up most of body. They also said she had a tumor. But because of age and health issues, best not to do anything. Recently over past weeks more breathing issues occurred. She would sit and put head at angle while breathing. Then this past Friday or Saturday she fell down standing on the ground and made a screeching noise in a puddle of pee. Over previous weeks she had couple screaming episodes while pooping.. But after Fri- sat she was different. With glazed look in her eyes, hearing didn't seem good and heavy labored breathing.overall a very disinterested dog. But during whole time she would eat her dinner, drink water and use puppy pads or go outside. She didn't eat puperoni as much though. Last night I gave her dinner and she came to eat after her coughing and breathing issues. Then this morning I woke up and she was in kitchen all by herself just sitting there breathing and panting very heavy. So I brought her into my room and she did this for a couple hours. She slowly walked outside to go to the restroom. But stayed there afterwards. I went to look at the tonghue and it was white and gums didn't look good. We took her to the vet and he said there was fluid in the lungs and he could only hear small area in lungs getting air. He said they could try something but it was 50/50 it would work. So we decided to give her peace. She was always a fighter. But struggling. Very sad we let her go. Questioning my decision. She ate dinner the night before and night before and continued to pee outside or on puppy pads. Even after falling and screaming incident. Please give me your thoughts. Thank you for your time. Did I do wrong? Did we let go to early?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Dog. A Maltese her name was Daisy and she was 14 years old. She was on 4-5 pill medications, the highest dosage. 1-2 liquid medications. For the past year or more she had been having coughing breathing issues. That was due to a collapsed trachea. the heart had grown so much it was pushing against the trachea. She did well with medication, coughing occasionally. Over time we took her for visits and I think the heart grew more. Taking up most of body. They also said she had a tumor. But because of age and health issues, best not to do anything. Recently over past weeks more breathing issues occurred. She would sit and put head at angle while breathing. Then this past Friday or Saturday she fell down standing on the ground and made a screeching noise in a puddle of pee. Over previous weeks she had couple screaming episodes while pooping.. But after Fri- sat she was different. With glazed look in her eyes, hearing didn't seem good and heavy labored breathing.overall a very disinterested dog. But during whole time she would eat her dinner, drink water and use puppy pads or go outside. She didn't eat puperoni as much though. Last night I gave her dinner and she came to eat after her coughing and breathing issues. Then this morning I woke up and she was in kitchen all by herself just sitting there breathing and panting very heavy. So I brought her into my room and she did this for a couple hours. She slowly walked outside to go to the restroom. But stayed there afterwards. I went to look at the tonghue and it was white and gums didn't look good. We took her to the vet and he said there was fluid in the lungs and he could only hear small area in lungs getting air. He said they could try something but it was 50/50 it would work. So we decided to give her peace. She was always a fighter. But struggling. Very sad we let her go. Questioning my decision. She ate dinner the night before and night before and continued to pee outside or on puppy pads. Even after falling and screaming incident. Please give me your thoughts. Thank you for your time. Did I do wrong? Did we let go to early?

I'm so sorry for the loss of your very, very loved Daisy. I don't think you need to question your decision at all all, I really don't. It sounds as though she was declining and there was nothing you could have done to prevent that. If you had decided to keep her alive for a few more days, would anything have been different? She was old, she was ill, and she didn't have much time left no matter what you did. Your decision allowed her rest peacefully instead of suffering and struggling for another day. That was a great kindness, in my opinion, and I hope when my time comes that I have someone who loves me enough to do the same! Your girl was lucky that you loved her enough to make a selfless decision that was best for her, even though it left you heartbroken and questioning yourself. That's true love, I say. Mourning the loss of a loved one is painful, and I hope you and your family will be at peace with your decision soon and able to enjoy happy memories of your Daisy. You did the right thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm so sorry that you've lost your girl Daisy. It's so difficult to lose one of our hairy babies because they aren't just pets, they're family. Did you let her go to soon? I don't believe so. I applaud you for loving her so much that you made the unselfish decision to let her go in peace. It's not easy, but it's the kindest thing we can do for them and the best gift when that time comes. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Lisa, Grabby, shilohsmom, dia. I wanted to reply to each of you personally, but didn't see how to. Also wanted to Fav all comments as well but forgot where it was. Thanks for sharing the article Grabby, very interesting read. Especially the never to soon, but can be to late. I do admit I've had some cries and tears. It was just such a sudden and quick time over the past few days. But I have caught myself hearing noises she made, looking for her puppy pads, finding her beds and toys. But I hope I am able to keep moving forward in this process over the next few days and weeks.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
My condolences.

I have in my life put to sleep a good number of dogs due to issues with their old age, and in one case...a dog who only made it to 8 years when diabetes forced me to put her to sleep....that's the dog in my photo, Harper. I learned one lesson with her... It's much much harder to put to sleep a dog that's fairly young, than it is to put to sleep a dog that got a it's chance to live into an old age.

I think there's always some guilt involved when it comes to making 'that' decision for our dogs, especially the older ones. We love them, and want to keep them with us, but if we have a healthy out look on death, we can't let a 'false love' dictate keeping a dog alive past the point where their bad days are really bad and happen more often than not than their good days.

I used the term 'false love' because it feels like love. But 'true love' means we step forward, take an honest look at what our pet is dealing with as far as pain and how often are the worse episodes of it happening. True love means making that decision no matter how it makes 'us' feel...we will have to deal with the heartbreak.

I've said this a lot in my life - The heart can heal from wounds...but there's always a scar.

I've grown to love every scar on my heart from every pet I've lost - they are just 1 part of the total experience I had with that particular pet in it's life and even afterwards...how it affected me and even affected my decision in what kind of pet I wanted next, and when was the right time to do so.

I hope you don't doubt yourself too much anymore, and know that any pet owner who loves their pet and who has to make that final decision for them, has similar thoughts even when they know they are right in making the decision. And, after reading what you wrote, I have to think you did right by your dog.

Don't feel too bad about your dog as far as a whole life experience. Just remember the good stuff as much as possible, that you gave a dog a life filled with love and care...which is something so many dogs never experience. Take the time to grieve and don't let anyone tell you that you're silly for doing so....and I have had that happen to me a few times. Some dogs just took longer to get over than others when it came to grieving.

Stormy

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I'm Still Here

Friend, please don't mourn for me
I'm still here, though you don't see.
I'm right by your side each night and day
and within your heart I long to stay.

My body is gone but I'm always near.
I'm everything you feel, see or hear.
My spirit is free, but I'll never depart
as long as you keep me alive in your heart.

I'll never wander out of your sight-
I'm the brightest star on a summer night.
I'll never be beyond your reach-
I'm the warm moist sand when you're at the beach.

I'm the colorful leaves when fall comes around
and the pure white snow that blankets the ground.
I'm the beautiful flowers of which you're so fond,
The clear cool water in a quiet pond.

I'm the first bright blossom you'll see in the spring,
The first warm raindrop that April will bring.
I'm the first ray of light when the sun starts to shine,
and you'll see that the face in the moon is mine.

When you start thinking there's no one to love you,
you can talk to me through the Lord above you.
I'll whisper my answer through the leaves on the trees,
and you'll feel my presence in the soft summer breeze.

I'm the hot salty tears that flow when you weep
and the beautiful dreams that come while you sleep.
I'm the smile you see on a baby's face.
Just look for me, friend, I'm everyplace!

Author Unknown

1 - 9 of 9 Posts