Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this has only happened once but I just want to make sure we are going about it the right way should it happen again :)

Recently my bf has been working on his relationship with Kasper as we felt it was a little one-sided, as I played most with him and did more training sessions etc. So he has been playing more with Kasp, cuddling more, feeding him from hand and stuff like that.

It's had an obvious effect, with Kasper seeking his attention now and he loves playing with us both. Tonight, after we'd finished playing and given the 'all done' command, Kasper was still pretty wired and didn't settle straight away. He fussed at my bf, trying to initiate play (wagging, holding a toy near to him, climbing onto him etc) and then proceeded to hump his arm!

We've had Kasper for almost 7 months now, he is 16 months old, and he's not done this before. (*edited to add* he is neutered too) Any reason why it would start now? I searched the forum and read the http://www.dogforum.com/dog-behavior/fixed-action-patterns-3434/#post34858 thread which was helpful, and I'm guessing it was "play sex" :D

Should it happen again, as we don't really want to encourage it heh, do we just stand up and walk away, ignoring him completely?

Thanks for any help :)

Red

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think he is just playing with your bf...i woldnt worry about it too much,if he is nutered. if you dont like it,gently push him off and say "No" in a stern voice... i hoped this helped! message me if you have any questions!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I think what you suggested is the best way to handle it. I'm guessing, but I think it has to do with a dog getting older and over-stimulation. Lately Coconut has been mounting the cat when she's really excited, and we just push her off. As you've already read, it's a FAP, and there's not much to do (other than spaying/neutering) beyond not allow it when you catch it and not do anything that entices the dog to do it. ;) I personally wouldn't scold "no" to it since it's ingrained - it would be kind of like scolding a dog for eating. :p

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Our cat just lays there and takes it. LOL.

as do mine. Emma is the cat humper, I usually ask her what on earth she thinks shes doing, and she hangs her head and walks away. Generally it occurs when other dogs are playing and wont let her join in, all that energy has to go som'where I guess.

Radar goes to TOWN on his bed. He hides to do it, I usually peek around the corner and point and laugh at him, and he stops like a caught teenager.

Chili has no shame and does it in a completely learned/deliberate way in order to get the 'wi's attention.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
LOL. Coconut never acts shameful. Probably because she's a pretty hard dog and we've never corrected her other than general loud voices when we're trying to interrupt her. I think she sees it as another part of playing with the cat because it's lately like the 3rd thing she does: chew on chin, bite head, mount.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the comments, just wanted to make sure we'd handle it right if it happened again :)

Hahahaha! It reminds me of my bf's parent's dog, he's a 7 year old Lab x Springer, and ever since he was a puppy he humps their friends' dog, a now 11 year old chocolate Lab. She was an ex-breeding bitch and she just sits there and takes it - last time he was humping her face and she was just lying there :rolleyes: :rofl:

Red

1 - 10 of 10 Posts