Dog Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
That’s very serious. It’s probably severe food aggression/resource guarding, which is trainable, but when it has gotten to this point you really need professional help. It could also be some more serious mental problems, which may not be fixable. You need urgent help especially since she’s a danger to her puppies and also everybody around her. For now, never let the puppies be around when she’s eating, take her to a different room to feed her. Don’t let food, bones or toys near the mother and the puppies. Never leave then unsupervised, always keep an eye on them.

It’s also important that you pass on this information to the new owners of the puppies, they need to know this since the same or similar behavior is likley to be inherited.

What kind of breed is it? Does she have other problem behaviors?
That's what I dont understand the woman we gat her from said her mother was not like that she actually encouraged her puppies to eat from her food when she was weening them she was real genital. Our dog leia is never with out food never showed aggression towards while she was eating I started with her real young to ensure she wouldn't be like because we have kids in the house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How did you go about that?[
I would start to pet her as she was eating if she growled I would say no in a stern voice ounce the vet said to pick up the food bowl for a few minutes set it back down while telling her to wait done that a couple of times and she was fine until three years later with her puppies.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
This was really poor advice from your vet, this sort of thing causes anxiety around food. Suppose you were sitting in a lovely restaurant enjoying a fabulous meal and someone took it away from under your nose. You would likely have some choice words and if it was me, I'd likely have stuck my fork in their hand. And all the more so if it happened repeatedly.

She has chosen not to stand up to you, but now her anxiety that her food will be taken away is coming out.

Feed her alone, leave her to eat in peace, don't disturb her when she is eating as food is clearly a flashpoint and coupled with her hormone changes will make her more edgy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I inherited a rescue dog not too long ago and she had puppies on 7/21. She is showing food aggression toward them and I don't know how to ease the situation, to move along the weening process, which according to everything I've read starts at about 4 weeks and should be completed by 8.5 weeks. She is the first dog I have had that I didn't raise from a puppy and she hasn't proven to be quite the difficult young lady(roughly 3 years old) She came from somewhat of a chaotic environment. I do believe there was abuse involved. I've tried to stick with positive reinforcement, instead of yelling and the like, but I just feel like I've made no progress. She has been an extremely good mother otherwise. She's very attentive to her puppies and they're extremely healthy. I refuse to let her take chewing treats in her puppy room with her, due to her aggression and the only thing I've found effective is moving the food somewhere, where the puppies cannot reach it, when I'm unable to supervise them. Should I just start to put her outside for awhile and leave the food available to the pups so they could at least sniff it? Leaving her food aggression to deal with after they're weened? I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I inherited a rescue dog not too long ago and she had puppies on 7/21. She is showing food aggression toward them and I don't know how to ease the situation, to move along the weening process, which according to everything I've read starts at about 4 weeks and should be completed by 8.5 weeks. She is the first dog I have had that I didn't raise from a puppy and she hasn't proven to be quite the difficult young lady(roughly 3 years old) She came from somewhat of a chaotic environment. I do believe there was abuse involved. I've tried to stick with positive reinforcement, instead of yelling and the like, but I just feel like I've made no progress. She has been an extremely good mother otherwise. She's very attentive to her puppies and they're extremely healthy. I refuse to let her take chewing treats in her puppy room with her, due to her aggression and the only thing I've found effective is moving the food somewhere, where the puppies cannot reach it, when I'm unable to supervise them. Should I just start to put her outside for awhile and leave the food available to the pups so they could at least sniff it? Leaving her food aggression to deal with after they're weened? I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your dog is having that much aggression, it's best to treat him with a all natural test and tried product. Your dog may be experiencing anxiety. I went through this myself with my dog, but I tried this product http://greens.social/Petanxiety and it help tremendously. Just add a few drops in his food or mouth and he/she should be more calmer.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts