Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all that can help me understand better this situation. I have a female Labrador that give birth to a litter of 7 puppies. The next door neighbor , who owns a male Labrador, claims that is in his right to have one puppy because , probably , my bitch have been mate with his dog. I have not a problem with that but now he separate one of the puppy, 6 weeks old from the mother and the only thing is between them is one fence. I should be worried because of continues calls from the puppy for her mother or the mother trying to reach her lost puppy? Is a very distressed call between them two.

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
Really? ”probably” his dog was the father so he has just taken a puppy?

Unless I have massively understood, that is wrong on many levels. The puppy is the first priority so get him/her back to your female as soon as possible.

·
Registered
585 Posts
A puppy should never leave their mother before 8 weeks so that’s just wrong in first place. Take back the puppy. IF you agree on him having a puppy, it needs to be at least 8 weeks old before moving from the mom.

However he have no right to take a puppy. Don’t you know how or when your dog was mated?

Either way he have no right to anything since non of you seem to know who the father is and there was no agreement in connection to the mating. It’s common for the owner of the male to take a puppy, yes. But this under the circumstances that the mating is intentional, planned and you’ve made an agreement with the other owner before the mating. And also the small detail that you actually can guarantee who the father is.

Who’s fault was it that the dog got pregnant? If anything the owner to the male should be prepared to pay damages. Provided that they failed in their responsibility to keep their dog from breeding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts