Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Meet Rico!
I’ll include as much as I know - which is:
  • absolutely nothing about his parents
  • he’s about 3ish y/o
  • he has 49 cm withers height
  • he’s very particularly cleaning himself until the last bit of dirt is gone
  • he has been rescued from Greece.
  • he’s a nose dog. He loves to sniff for mice when outside.
  • he’s also a somewhat nosy dog but also very easily scared (new things are so scary!)
  • very attached to his dad
  • loves food
  • he’s definitely not super eager to please us
  • he jumps on the couch for cuddles often but also loves to get down when it’s too warm or too much
  • loves his own comfy chair and even gets inside even though we’re all outside but it’s warm. (Old dog (terrier mix) would’ve never done that) Else he loves to be around where the fam is. (Rest under the table, ...)
  • likes to play but will get tired fairly easily - doesn’t seem to like long runs. Prefers short sprints and long sniffs
This probably should be considered by general suggestions based on character. ;)

Here are some pictures of him!

So, all guesses are welcome! We have no clue and I want to make my mum a little surprise for Mother’s Day by maybe guessing his breed! ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
226 Posts
There's something saluki-ish in his ears, and he does look quite slim. I've also known saluki crosses to end up fluffy all over even when none of the breeds in their makeup are that fluffy. Does he run particularly fast?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's something saluki-ish in his ears, and he does look quite slim. I've also known saluki crosses to end up fluffy all over even when none of the breeds in their makeup are that fluffy. Does he run particularly fast?
He’s quite slim! And he does run like hell for short sprints. But more like a few minutes and not extensively. He doesn’t like to run for too long - not enough time for sniffing. Would that somewhat fit? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is utterly gorgeous, whatever his background
Just had a chat with my parents - this, we can confirm! ;)
Any other recommendable places where to ask for ideas on his breed? (Other than gen testing)

·
Super Moderator
4,152 Posts
To be honest, even genetic testing isn't reliable - theres a story of a journalist who sent in a sample of his own saliva and it came back 30% spaniel!

·
Registered
639 Posts
To be honest, even genetic testing isn't reliable - theres a story of a journalist who sent in a sample of his own saliva and it came back 30% spaniel!
Embark is fantastic. They were absol
Meet Rico!
I’ll include as much as I know - which is:
  • absolutely nothing about his parents
  • he’s about 3ish y/o
  • he has 49 cm withers height
  • he’s very particularly cleaning himself until the last bit of dirt is gone
  • he has been rescued from Greece.
  • he’s a nose dog. He loves to sniff for mice when outside.
  • he’s also a somewhat nosy dog but also very easily scared (new things are so scary!)
  • very attached to his dad
  • loves food
  • he’s definitely not super eager to please us
  • he jumps on the couch for cuddles often but also loves to get down when it’s too warm or too much
  • loves his own comfy chair and even gets inside even though we’re all outside but it’s warm. (Old dog (terrier mix) would’ve never done that) Else he loves to be around where the fam is. (Rest under the table, ...)
  • likes to play but will get tired fairly easily - doesn’t seem to like long runs. Prefers short sprints and long sniffs
This probably should be considered by general suggestions based on character. ;)

Here are some pictures of him!

So, all guesses are welcome! We have no clue and I want to make my mum a little surprise for Mother’s Day by maybe guessing his breed! ;)

Cheers!
Looks like a pyrenean sheepdog

·
Registered
639 Posts
Maybe I'm just cynical but if you are having DNA testing, it's because you don't know what's in the mix, so would you even know if they got it wrong?
In my case i knew for a fact jesse had border collie cause the mum was a classic border collie. The dad i was told was a malamute/kelpie. Anyone whos knows malamutes and meets jesse can see the malamute personality strongly. I got the test done yrs later cause i was convinced he had a small breed in him somewhere cause of his incredibly high pitch bark. And when it came back it was cattedog instead of kelpie immediatly it all made sense. Sometimes without hesitation you know somethings spot on, and this is coming from someone who has been shown not to trust. Of course dna tests including embark are going to get things wrong at times. In my case there was in no way shape or for any contamination but its easy to contaminate and you have to be incredibly careful to not get any minute traces on swab. Maybe the guy had a pet spaniel😅

·
Registered
226 Posts
He’s quite slim! And he does run like hell for short sprints. But more like a few minutes and not extensively. He doesn’t like to run for too long - not enough time for sniffing. Would that somewhat fit? :)
Hmm, probably not - salukis have a lot of stamina. My general rule for spotting sighthound genes is that if, when he breaks into a run, your jaw doesn't drop at the speed, then they ain't there! Sighthounds do have a characteristic 'double extention gait' which you can google if you're interested.

Having said that, of course, if there's only a smidge of saluki, then the gait and stamina would be more likely to be determined by the other components. To see what caught my eye about his looks, though, this is a friend's dog who is pure saluki x greyhound (but not a first cross): https://flic.kr/p/25tEhw3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts