Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Hatchi for a walk this morning and my son distracted me after Hatchi pooped so I had to look for his "gift". At first when I found it, I thought that he had eaten a rubber elastic and it had shredded or something, then I looked closer and they were moving. My first thought was heartworm. If you've read any of my posts you probably know that Hatchi's has other problems that stem from his inadequate former care. He's gotten 2 doses of Sentinel but maybe they were too late. I called the emergency vet clinic and they more or less ruled out heart worm saying that unless he was on his deathbed and the infestation was so large, there's no way they would come out with his poop. I looked up on the internet and it's not whipworm, but it could be roundworm. They said the treatment wasn't really expensive but I'm wondering what this means? Anyone know what the treatment could be $-wise? & how long?

What else is this dog gonna come up with? I knew there'd be expenses related to a dog but I never thought that they would be so expensive in the first month!! :mad:

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Did it look like bits of rice, kind of? If so its tapeworms. I've never seen roundworms in poo. I think you can get something over the counter for both unless the infestation is too large at which point you can get something from the vet, I've always received Panacure which is a powder you put in their food once a day for three days (at least that's what I did).

Worms are very common in puppies, so don't worry too much! :] Just get 'em taken care of and you probably won't have issues in the future.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Round worms are pretty easy.
Panacur should do it. Best to take a poo sample to the vet to verify what he's got, but you can even buy panacur on the internet. My understanding is that it is pretty safe. I've used it on my dogs, with veterinary advice.
Hope others weigh in!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Cali and I are channeling each other, apparently. ;)

PS. Panacure does rounds, whips, tapes and hookworms! Ta da!

·
Registered
7,832 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They weren't tape worms, they looked like thread - round and about 2-3 inches long - they're not tape worms, or whip worms, from what I'm reading it looks like round worms - spaghettinis but thinner.

Will this ever end? He pooped after supper and there were none in that batch, I'll check tomorrow morning

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
They weren't tape worms, they looked like thread - round and about 2-3 inches long - they're not tape worms, or whip worms, from what I'm reading it looks like round worms - spaghettinis but thinner.

Will this ever end? He pooped after supper and there were none in that batch, I'll check tomorrow morning
Worming is a pretty routine thing, so no big deal, OK? ;)
Puppies in particular usually need a couple rounds of worming in the first few months you get them. So don't worry! Just get him some worming meds. Its easy you just sprinkle on a bit of delicious food and he'll eat it right up! Do it for 3 days and then again in a couple of weeks... what ever the directions say. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts