Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Hi all! been awhile!

Second, this isn't for Tessa but for my sister's dog keeper. She's been on Vet Royal Canin for a year now, until she stayed with us and refused to eat her food and instead hoarded in on Tessa's Orijen. Must know what's good for her ;). Anyway the two were great, kept up with each other and myself and Keeper took to the Orijen like a fish to water.

Anyway, My sister picked her up a few weeks ago and since she has been back on the junk food. I gave my sister a weeks worth of Tessa's food to help transition her back, even though it killed me a little. My sister reports Keeper has been having wicked mood swings since being back on the Royal Canin full time and that she was much better behaved on the Orijen - calmer, consistent energy level, etc. (which is how Tessa is).

So just a quick theory, could foods with lesser ingredients cause mood swings/changes in dogs? I mean I know I feel different after eating healthy meals vs mcdonalds, so could dogs be the same?

My sister's going to stick her on Orijen too now, just to test the theory out. Maybe I'm rambling, and I know certainly it wouldn't effect all dogs the same, but maybe food could be the culprit behind 'hyper' dogs?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Sure. Protein keeps you fuller longer, so switching from a high protein food to a low protein, high carb food would lead to a spike in blood sugar followed by a crash, which would lead to irritability, hyperactivity, etc.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I keep reading the title as "Mood swings caused by fools". Which I'd have to answer "Yes" to.

And yes to foods, as well. I think it is probably different for everyone, but food definitely affects moods in humans, so why not in dogs? One of the behaviorists I consulted for Boone suggested that a lower protein food would help him with his reactivity. My sister noted that when she fed her dogs a lot of protein, they became more lethargic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts