Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nonstop puppies here! Rain and Cloud leave on Thursday, then bright and early Friday morning we receive a call about this mom and pups. Can't say I mind having puppies back in the house so soon. ;)

Say hello to Momma Autumn and the Nature Kids! This poor mom is at least 7 years old and is very thin. She obviously hasn't been taken care of, she was filthy, her nails are way too long, she has worms, and the list could go on. So sad seeing a dog her age with puppies. Thankfully she seems pretty healthy despite the issues she has and she's the sweetest thing ever, she has the most soulful, gentle eyes which match her personality. We believe her to be a Hound/Boxer mix, so the puppies are at least that with possibly some Rottie or Dobie in there, not sure though since they are so young. The pups are cute as buttons and seem to be very healthy, all are doing great. There are five girls and three boys, the pups are two weeks old. I think they are loving the nice warm bedding, has to be better than laying on the hard ground. More updates to follow as they all settle in.

Brier, (like Brier Rose) Female

Buck, Male

Fawn, Female

Fern, Female

Lark, Female

Rocky, Male

Willow, Female

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
They are just sooo precious.............gotta love all that puppy breathe!!!!
Love 'Rocky's' little smooshed up face!!!!

Reactions: LoveMyFosters

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More puppy photos! All are continuing to do well. Autumn has settled in some more, eating and drinking well. She is a lot less up tight and has more energy today. She's also filled out a bit in the flank area already, so all is improving.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big developments for some little puppies! They begun to play and interact with each other yesterday and have begin to explore as of today. They are seeing things a bit clearer and can hear us even though it is pretty limited at this point. Their tails have begin to wag when they smell us and they are finding their voices.

Good news for Autumn as well, she is beginning to put on some much needed weight and is a little more settled today, though I believe it will be a while longer before she is truly comfortable, poor dog has probably never been in a house before.

Here's a video of some major cuteness! The star is the biggest pup, Orion. So cute to watch them play together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK-EsvPK96E

Reactions: Sha and Rain

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The puppies continue to get more active each day, they play more and can hear us better than ever. When I started talking to, and petting Orion earlier today he started wagging his tail at me- such a sweet moment!

Noise and surface introduction has begin along with daily handling of their feet, legs, ears, etc. They are strong little things and there have already been several escapees from the zoo as I like to say, lol. What I really mean by that is the pups have started to pile out into the kitchen floor often during the day. They have also started to potty on their own, time to break out the pee pads!
Briar:

Buck:

Fawn:

Fern:

Lark:

Orion:

Rocky:

Willow:

Autumn’s diarrhea has lessened and is starting to turn into soft stool instead of liquid. She is also no longer dehydrated thanks to the pedialyte she has received. I will be getting some canned pumpkin tomorrow so hopefully that will help her get back to normal a bit quicker. Strangest thing with her, she seems to be a tick magnet- I have pulled eight ticks off her today alone! Our yard isn’t tick infested and she has only been in areas where the grass is very short, and none of our other fosters have ever gotten one tick on them.. It’s a big annoyance that they seem to like her so much, but also makes me wonder why they are all over her.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Photos, and plenty of updates below, but first some funny stories!

Had the funniest moment with Briar, and a very proud moment with the pups as a whole- Just a few minutes ago all of the pups were awake all at once, that’s a first time, believe me. So anyways, the proud moment: I was playing a video with very loud fireworks, when I first started playing it they become alert and listened, but within about a minute they were back to playing, no fear at all! The funny moment: While the firework video was playing, Briar listened for a second, got really close to my computer, then threw her head back in a great big, well okay, kinda small, howl. It was the most adorable thing I’ve heard in a while! There’s a lot of hound in this one. ;) Below is a photo of the pups listening while the sounds were playing, and the little hound herself trying to chew on my laptop.

Another funny moment during sound intro:

While I was playing different sounds for the puppies, Autumn was coming and going from the kennel, well one of the sound effects that I played, and was playing at that moment was car horns; The moment she heard it start she came running into the kennel, listened for a moment, threw her head back, howled, then suddenly started pawing and licking one of the pups, didn’t take me long to figure out she thought the noise was coming from that pup! After almost rolling around on the floor with laughing I managed to stop the sound from playing, poor girl was so worried!

The puppies continue to amaze me with their ability to potty in the right place and only there. Never had a litter be that accurate, especially at such a young age. Very proud of them all! They are super mobile now, they regularly get out of their little area to take a quick walk around the kitchen, well okay, not really around the kitchen, just outside their area for a second or two then back they go. It’s really nice seeing such confidence in pups this age. Sound introduction continues to go very well. Metal cans hitting the floor and trash bags rustling only got a bit of their attention then all was back to normal and it was time to play some more.

Spent the morning giving the puppies a bath because they had fleas. I made the mistake last day of spraying ACV on everything, bedding, Autumn, floor, etc but not putting anything on the pups, the reason being I thought it wouldn’t be safe for them. So I succeeded in getting all the fleas out of their environment and off mom, but instead of that being the end of it, they went and all jumped on the pups. I felt horrible after not taking the time to think that whole thing through, but thankfully after baths and spraying the pups with ACV, (after confirming it is safe to use on them) they are now flea free. Bad mistake on my part, but thankfully all is well now and I won’t be making it again.

Good news! Autumn has finally settled into the household completely. She no longer spends the entire day pacing the house. She now spends her time resting at my feet, trying to climb into my lap, and begging for belly rubs. She’s a good dog and I like having her.

I have started giving Autumn some canned pumpkin since the diarrhea is still happening. Hopefully here in a few days there will be some improvement. Autumn also got a bath today, and afterward I sprayed her with some ACV, (Apple Cider Vinegar) I have heard many good things about this stuff for getting rid of fleas, so I will be giving it a try since I will not use chemicals on a nursing mother. I have also started putting it in her water and a tiny bit in her food. She gets it in her water all the time, but only twice a day in her food. We’ll see how it goes here in the next week or so. So far I haven’t seen any fleas and she hasn’t picked up any ticks, which is amazing because I just pulled a lot off her yesterday.

Here is sweet Autumn. She looks so much better than when she came in!

PS, sorry for the really long post!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And now for some videos! More photos coming tomorrow since the puppies will turn three weeks old then.

Here's the all of the pups having some fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ganL8-Bwj_4

Here's little Briar being super vocal, she does this all the time, so I'm sure you can imagine how often I laugh when around her, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3aucUzFOjM

And here are some videos of each pup during handling, they love it!

Orion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9odyffj8zgw
Willow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmyUTKumLtY
Rocky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FvSVyVHhMg
Lark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQHgOwm5dWc
Fern:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xT68oJ0Pcs
Buck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=covWU-xFSpM
Briar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOx7uYTBSyw
Fawn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDWXELxA5iE

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the late update, yesterday was super busy!

Our first full week with the puppies and so much has changed with them since they first arrived. They are up and around very well now, just about ready to bust out of their area and run wild in the kitchen. Their little teeth have just broken threw today and they play and bounce around like crazy while awake. This age is such a joy, they are just the most adorable little things! Below are their 3 week old photos.

Briar:

Buck:

Fawn:

Fern:

Lark:

Orion:

Rocky:

Willow:

Reactions: yoshiposhi

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And some more photos of all this cuteness! ;)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the lack of updates! It's gotten crazy busy here since I just found out Wednesday that the pups are leaving for rescue this weekend. The pups continue to grow and thrive. Autumn has put on some weight and her diarrhea went away. I'm going to miss them, but just means I will be open for the next dog in need.

The pups are completely mobile and have regular play sessions out in the kitchen. They are adorable little things! :)

They got some new items in their area to explore and play with, some bubble wrap, a cardboard tube, and a plastic bottle. They enjoyed each one and as usual, no fear of any kind. They really loved the bubble wrap and spent a lot of time walking on it.

Reactions: yoshiposhi and Chas

·
Registered
712 Posts
I can't get enough of your posts!! I think it's so amazing what you do. All that time and dedication I think its so great!! Thank you for sharing!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love these updates so much! thanks for doing what you do.
I can't get enough of your posts!! I think it's so amazing what you do. All that time and dedication I think its so great!! Thank you for sharing!!
Very glad everyone is enjoying these updates! I love my job to the moon and back, love my fosters just as much. :) Couldn't ask for a better job!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, time for a final update.. The pups turned 4 weeks on Saturday. Can't believe how much they have grown in such a short time! The day was mostly spent loving on the pups, and of course giving plenty of belly rubs to Autumn! I wanted to spend every second I could with them because I knew our time together was short.

They left this morning.. Got up at 5am to get them to the transport pickup location by 6:30am. By now they are in the hands of the rescue that pulled them. Goodbye, darlings! I wish you all the best.

Below are their 4 week old photos.

Autumn

Briar:

Buck

Fawn

Fern

Lark

Orion

Rocky

Willow

ave
Save