Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog gave birth today and bit off the back leg of the first born puppy while cleaning the sac off. The vet had us come in immediately with mom and injured pup, stitched up pup and delivered rest of litter via csection. She has now rejected the puppies and we are bottle feeding. The injured pup cries a lot. Anyone ever had this happen before??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Aw, that's heartbreaking! I had a mom nick an artery in her puppy's neck when removing the sac. I think it just happens sometimes. It is not unusual for a mom to reject her puppies if she was not able to go through all the motions of whelping and bond with them. The pup's injury is a significant one so crying is normal - I would gauge this pup's health by its weight gain and activity level (is it huddling with the rest to keep warm, does it move around when awake) Bottle feeding is a lot of work so I hope you have helpers! Best of luck : )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice! So far she seems to have settled down. She is scooting around in the box and snuggles with the other puppies. Mom has let us nurse them but we are being super careful since she seems spooked at times. I weighed them all yesterday and plan to monitor weight gain daily. It is a lot of work!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts