Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife have a young male mutt dog - 2 years - with a very annoying behavior.

EVERY time we go to put food in his pot he starts to moan and cry and it is so irritating.

We tried to make him understand that the moaning delays the feeding doing it: we stand at the doorstep with the food pot in hands staring directly at his eyes until he stopped to moan. When he stopped we walked towards his place to eat and if he moaned again we stopped and stared at him again. Some times we had to do it 5 or 6 times in a short distance of 10 steps... It kind of worked but just momentarily (he understood that we stopped when he moaned and that we walked when he shut up) but he couldn't record it in his brain and in the next meal it happened all over again. We tried it for weeks with no success.

Currently we are trying a different approach: my wife attracts him to another place of the yard and distract him so I put the food while he is not looking. However it is overwhelming and very forced because obviously he is not learning anything. Instead we are just removing the moaning from the equation. I am not too much in hope that it will work in a long term because this dog is very dumb. I had other dogs that would have learn right in the first attempt in just a couple days. :(

I have no idea why he does that. We already had a few dogs and no one of them did it. It gives me the impression that he is begging for the food or that he thinks that need to make some sort of worship to gain the food. I really don't know. I just wanted him to stop!

We picked him when he was a puppy from an adoption house. They found him starving in the street and they told us that he ate like crazy when he got there. But then after that he became a normal dog and never starved again. I don't think that this is the reason though. It was almost 2 years ago and he is a grown up dog now.

Do someone has an efficient way of deal with it and get some results even with the dumbest of the dogs????

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The vast majority of dogs are not unintelligent, rather it is their owners that are either not training correctly or actually training for the unintended result.

Clearly your dog does not in fact understand the stopping and starting process you are attempting to train him with. I suggest you get the food and sit by the food bowl. Every time he is quiet put a handful of kibble in his dish. That way he is rewarded with food instead of being rewarded with a step toward the bowl, which he clearly does not understand.

I would start out giving him two feedings a day and making sure he is getting enough food.
In addition, make training fun, teach him to sit and other things, make it something he looks forward to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts