Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fed my 6 month old pup Troy Worming Syrup this morning (one out of 2 doses) before realizing that this only covers roundworms, not all worms. I want to now go out and get an all worm medication but am wondering if I feed him a new worming med tomorrow, would that constitute overdosing? We want to take him out for long walks etc but I'm anxious about him getting worms and want him to be properly protected. Any ideas? Thanks in advance~!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I'm wondering what sorts of preventative meds I should use? Heartgard prevents heartworms, hookworms and roundworms but not tapeworms. I don't really know what to give the pup.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You should be discussing this with your vet. Some meds do just fine being mixed, some you shouldn't give on the same day, and some shouldn't be mixed together. A fecal test should likely be done to determine what types of worms your dog has to see which type of wormer would be the most effective.

This is especially the case because you live out of the country. I doubt most people know what sorts of parasites are common in your area and as such what preventatives your dog needs. Around here heartworm prevention is an absolute must (basically a death sentence if your dog isn't on it), but that's not necessarily the case in all areas. I use the pro heart shot (currently on backorder for several months) and haven't had any issues with heartworms or other worms. My dogs occasionally get tapeworms from prey that they catch (eating an infected flea from a rabbit or something) but I treat with tapeworm drugs if those occasions arise and wouldn't consider tapeworm prevention as a necessity. Again, while opinions of folks online are worth considering this is something you should be discussing with a vet in your area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is no dewormer that takes care of all worms. You need to have a fecal test performed to see if other dewormers are needed.

You also cannot get Heartgard without a prescription... And if you find somewhere you can, it's likely counterfeit and you shouldn't use it.

Post being, you need to be talking to a vet about this stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts